AR Scope

CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

AR Scope

Post by CZ550 »

Learned Gentlemen,

Can you give me some idea of what scope to buy for my BSA Mercury AR? It used to wear a Nikko 6x, which I believe is now deceased due to the massive variation in POI with each shot. I was looking at one of the Hawke Optics scopes that appear to be AR rated, but happy to consider other options too.

BTW...The reason I'm chasing said scope is that Matt Winser gave the Mercury a new lease of life a while back. Has turned a tired old springer into a very nice slick shooter. Nice bloke too - would highly recommend his work to anyone thinking of getting some work done to their AR!

Regards,

CZ550
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: AR Scope

Post by Ol 55 »

Probably the first question for you is what do you want to do with it? What power do you want?
I have a couple of springer rated scopes and mounts I would be prepared to let go as my air gunning
has taken a different direction.
Cheers
Ol 55
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

Ol 55 wrote:Probably the first question for you is what do you want to do with it? What power do you want?
I have a couple of springer rated scopes and mounts I would be prepared to let go as my air gunning
has taken a different direction.
Cheers
Ol 55
Sure has Uncle Ol55. :wink:

Spoke to an inporter yesterday and he had a "bucket" of returned scopes that he wanted assess. All of them were warranty returns after being on springers. Straight off there were a few that had broken reticle wires. Sure sign they have been recoiled to death.

What ever you buy, make sure they are springer rated. I'm sure Uncle will look after you.
CZ550
.17 HMR

Post by CZ550 »

The rifle is mainly used in the 10-30 yard range for general light vermin control (birds mainly), very little night use, except for the odd pigeon massacre. I was happy with the fixed 6x for what I was using it for prior to it imploding.

I'll be happy to be guided by you really. BTW - I already have some 25mm rings of std height that would preclude me from using a scope with a 50mm obj.

Cheers,

CZ550
fenring

Post by fenring »

I know that the Merc has tiny scope grooves - unless it has the Maxgrip rail.

Mounts not creeping?

How much do you want to spend?

I've got one of these on my Diana 350 Magnum and it's been fine so far and that's saying something 'cos the 350 is a known scope killer.

http://www.airsoftworld.net/sabre-airgu ... scope.html

The 2-7x32 is sold locally, hopefully it's as strong.

http://www.gunemporium.com.au/Sabre-Acc ... Scope.html
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I hadn't considered the hammering a scope could get from an air rifle, particularly a springer.

How does the shock/recoil to the scope compare to a cartridge rifle? I'm guessing a springer would be worse than 22LR.

Other than buying a scope designed for air rifle use, what things would you look for in a scope to survive use on an air rifle?

Geez, I learnt something today!
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

The Raven wrote:I hadn't considered the hammering a scope could get from an air rifle, particularly a springer.

How does the shock/recoil to the scope compare to a cartridge rifle? I'm guessing a springer would be worse than 22LR.

Other than buying a scope designed for air rifle use, what things would you look for in a scope to survive use on an air rifle?

Geez, I learnt something today!
Hi Raven,

A springer recoils in "both" directions, backward and forwards. The first recoil is from the air being released. the second is from the spring and piston reaching the end of the chamber.

The action starts in this clip at 1.30, forget the wait to get there and just jump forward, but it shows both recoils quite well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNLfprS2-y0

This link is more techo, but shows it all with a thorough explanation......

http://www.topairgun.com/recoil

So an airgun rated scope needs to resist the shock in both directions. There are a few ways of accomplishing this. Glass etched reticles, or beefing up the reticles generally. My Gerholdt and Russ scopes have the reticle mounted with a spring on the forward side to absorb shock. You can see it when looking in the front lens.

cheers, curan
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Thanks for the vids Curan. I simply hadn't considered the different type of recoil associated with air rifles before.

Consider me enlightened :homer:
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

The other thing different about an air rifle scope is the extended focal range.
Most other scopes will not focus down to the 9.144-27.432 metres mentioned earlier, or be parallax free at that range.
Down side to this is on larger firearms they do not go out past 300m and some do not make 200
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

You are right Dave I'm looking at some scopes that focuses from 9 to 55 yards don't know which way to go though.
Cheers
Ol 55
CZ550
.17 HMR

Post by CZ550 »

Fenrig - I'm pretty sure the mounts weren't creeping. The shots were too random (I feel) to be a mount issue.

Ol55 - pm in bound

Regards,

CZ550
nate
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by nate »

The Raven wrote:I hadn't considered the hammering a scope could get from an air rifle, particularly a springer.
The magnum springers are pretty bad, as above - you need to brace the reticule in both directions or use etched glass.
As for a power comparison - i've heard a few people break scopes that never had an issue on 308's.

AO is also mandatory, or a "rimfire" scope (parallax set at 50m) at a minimum.