FX Typhoon for 10m use

curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

FX Typhoon for 10m use

Post by curan »

Hello, a couple of questions from a newbie.

I have been shooting 10m precision, 3 position and Field for about 6 months at a local SSAA range, using one of the club guns, a FWB 300s with a 4-24x50 scope. My 2 teenage sons are also members, and competing. The youngest does find the 300s a bit weighty.

I am currently waiting for my licence, but will then be looking at my own rifle. I was looking at a Umerex Magnum, finding the convenience of CO2 appealing, but it is a repeater, and not allowed under my clubs rules (single load only). So unless there is an alternative CO2 rifle I can look at, I think the FX Typhoon looks to be about the best around that fits within my budget.

Hence the questions:
1. Does the Typhoon have the capacity for sling swivels to be fitted?
2. How far can the pressure be regulated for more shots without loss of accuracy? The rifle will mainly be used for 10m, with occassional field and silohuette.
3. How hard is it to adjust the pressure on these?
4. Do they come standard with a scope, and if so, what spec?
5. Do they come standard with the scuba fill adaptor?
6. Does anyone know what price would I be looking at, with the bits and pieces mentioned above?
7. Am I heading in the right direction here? Should I be looking at something else in CO2 or PCP?

Thanks for any help or advice.

and I totally love this forum :)

Curan
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G"Day curan
I cant answer any of your questions, but welcome to the site and have fun.
Regards
Damien webb
Predator

Post by Predator »

I'm pretty sure they don't come with anything but the rifle. No scope, no way to fill them and no pellets...

Which city are you in?
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Re: FX Typhoon for 10m use

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

curan wrote:Hello, a couple of questions from a newbie.

I have been shooting 10m precision, 3 position and Field for about 6 months at a local SSAA range, using one of the club guns, a FWB 300s with a 4-24x50 scope. My 2 teenage sons are also members, and competing. The youngest does find the 300s a bit weighty.

I am currently waiting for my licence, but will then be looking at my own rifle. I was looking at a Umerex Magnum, finding the convenience of CO2 appealing, but it is a repeater, and not allowed under my clubs rules (single load only). So unless there is an alternative CO2 rifle I can look at, I think the FX Typhoon looks to be about the best around that fits within my budget.

Hence the questions:
1. Does the Typhoon have the capacity for sling swivels to be fitted?
2. How far can the pressure be regulated for more shots without loss of accuracy? The rifle will mainly be used for 10m, with occassional field and silohuette.
3. How hard is it to adjust the pressure on these?
4. Do they come standard with a scope, and if so, what spec?
5. Do they come standard with the scuba fill adaptor?
6. Does anyone know what price would I be looking at, with the bits and pieces mentioned above?
7. Am I heading in the right direction here? Should I be looking at something else in CO2 or PCP?

Thanks for any help or advice.

and I totally love this forum :)

Curan
You're really not going to get a gun that does 10M work plus outdoor silhouette and field work all rolled into one.
10M is traditionally shot with .177 calibre Olympic airguns that are limited in power to 6FP muzzle energy or about 580FPS with an 8 grain wadcutter pellet.Any more power than that usually means ricochets,excess noise,damage to the targets etc.Also,most 10M airguns use diopter rear sights.
A 10M airgun can be used outdoors with light roundhead pellets but any breeze can upset them.
I have a few customers with FWB 300S' that I have worked on for more power that do 10M indoors and slip on a scope for outdoor use.
Maybe keep your eye out for a FWB 300S Junior for your kids.
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

Curan,

Welcome :D

I would ask Lewis to keep an eye out for a 300S, if I were you.

The all-around air rifle that you would like does not exist.

I shot a round with a 300S last week, and it was beautifully balanced.

Chris
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Young Lewis could well still have my FWB 300 that I traded in on the HW100T. There may also be one of my Anschutz A250's up there as well. Both were in top condition as Lewis waved his magic fingers over both of them. There is also my other A250 down here but it would have to go to Lewis for a service before things progressed any further.
Dennis.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Hilly wrote:Young Lewis could well still have my FWB 300 that I traded in on the HW100T. There may also be one of my Anschutz A250's up there as well. Both were in top condition as Lewis waved his magic fingers over both of them. There is also my other A250 down here but it would have to go to Lewis for a service before things progressed any further.
Dennis.
I like the 'young' label.Thanks Dennis!
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Can anyone tell me if the A250 is lighter than the 300s?
The young bloke has the reach, it's only the weight that was bothering him over a 40 shot match.

Relating to the question from Predator about the city I live in, I'm afraid I don't go much for cities. My family and I live a couple of hours out of Adelaide. But we are not far from a good friendly SSAA range, with a couple of excellent blokes to coach the lads.
The lads are both progressing well, one just shot a 339.5 / 400 Friday before last, and the other followed up with a 339.4 a couple of nights ago.
A bit of sibling rivalry is working well for a change! :lol:

And I s'pose by the time the paperwork goes through for my licence, I'll have even more time to see if the young fella gets use to the weight of the club 300s.

Thanks for the replies and insight.

Curan
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

They both weigh around the same.
Lewis
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Little buggers are shooting better than I can! :D
Keep them practicing and enjoying themselves and you could have a couple of champions there!
Dennis.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Nostradamus has competition?

Post by curan »

That last post by Dennis turned out to be a quite a prophecy.
The young bloke took gold as a junior for the 3p air in the SA state titles last weekend. And yes, he was using the club 300s. His brother took silver in the 10m.

And don't feel bad Dennis, the little buggers are outshooting me too! :)
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

Heartiest congratulations :D

I see that Lewis has an FWB300S come in - be first in or miss out.

Chris
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Well, give both of the youngsters my heartiest congratulations! I really enjoy seeing the juniors win prizes, no matter how big or small.
They done good!
Dennis.