Lighting Option

Whitey
.17 HMR

Lighting Option

Post by Whitey »

I have just purchased a LED torch from LED TORCHES AUSTRALIA in Melbourne (on net) for work. It is a Fenix L2D and takes 2 x AA batteries. The output and brightness is amazing. Puts a D cell mag light to shame. Anyway, I decided to mount it on my R7. Bought a set of Mag Light clips which I mounted on a flat piece of aluminium. I used an old mount I had lying around which I mounted on it's side on the scope. The aluminium simply attaches to the base of the mount. The torch sits out of the way, and the beam hits right at POA. Now for those who are thinking the recoil will break the torch, I spoke to the dealer and he assures me that the torch has been tested to a very high level and won't break. I plan to put it on the HW97 .20 also. Both are pretty smooth and tame anyway. I usually use a light force rechargeable set up, and will continue to do so. This set up is compact and economical to run so should come in handy.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Good job, how far does the torch allow you to see a rabbit?
Wondering if the same set up would work on my RF :roll: Thats if you dont mind me using your idea. :wink:
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

I bought a few sets from Lewis which have served us well.

We carry SLA batteries on our belts.

Chris
Whitey
.17 HMR

Post by Whitey »

Knackers I havn't field tested it yet, but from using the torch I would suggest 25 metres no worries. I might go ratting Saturday night so I will update then. The LED TORCHES Australia web site gives all the spec's for the light.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Whitey, how do you go for balance with the torch mounted on the side like that. Or is it light enough to be negligable.

Good idea btw
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

25 M- man I hope you didn't spend to much.
I can read a page in a book at 50 M with the light I use.
I wrote a small write up in the equipment section earlier this year.

looks good but- nice mounting system
Later
p
Whitey
.17 HMR

Post by Whitey »

The weight is minimal and I can't feel any effect on the balance. The light it produces is very white. Really looks good through the scope. As for 50 metres..... As I said I havn't taken it in the field yet, 25m is an estimate. I'm sure it will shine to 50 metres, whether the light is useful is yet to be seen. If I was in a situation where I am shooting more than 25 metres I would be using my Light Force recharge set up which is hard to go past. I know of others that use the same torch on a .22 to good effect. I'll post the results when I've been for a rat hunt, maybe tomorrow night. Thanks for your interest guys.
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

Did you also buy the clips from the website?

I've been wanting to do this to my air rifle for some time.
Whitey
.17 HMR

Post by Whitey »

The clips I got from a camping type shop, I would think someone like King of Knives would have them. Anyone who sells mag lites usually has them. $11 bucks they were. :)
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

When you fire a shot does the recoil effect the light? What i mean does it move the light?

And when you bought the clips where they actually for the light or was it just like trial and error?
Whitey
.17 HMR

Post by Whitey »

I hImage
ave tried the set up and no problems. The light is not affected by the recoil. Keep in mind it is on my R7. I will be trying it on the HW97 next. Don't expect any problem there either. The mag lite clips fit spot on. I am informed that the next model of this light is due out in a few weeks and will be the same but have even more lumens. I will be getting one of those also. Everytime I shoot the R7, it amazes me how accurate and smooth it is.