A wonderful resource for working out just about everything..

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

A wonderful resource for working out just about everything..

Post by Yrrah »

GriMo asked a couple of questions about BC determination. I promised to reference a resource... Here it is and it is a wonderful resource for working out just about everything you need to know ... A permanent reference....... for all matters pertaining to air rifle ballistics. Most of it has been written by Steve Woodward of North Carolina in USA. Steve is an electronic engineer who amongst other things has done consultancy work for NASA. I understand he may have a bit out in space. He and I have become good internet friends and on occasion sparring partners ( in the nicest sense ).

I want to refer GriMO in particular to these which you will find at various locations on the home page:

Ballistic Coefficient Calc
by Steve_in_NC
What is BCC?

Chairgun
The Ultimate AirGun Pellet Trajectory Calculator

Energy/Velocity Retention
by Steve_in_NC
What is EVR?

Rifle Demos (Flash)
by Perry Babin

In respect of a ballistic calculator for working out your trajectories, retained velocity, energy, momentum (the most important for penetration ), POI given a particular zero etc.. ......DON'T GO PAST "CHAIRGUN". .......Others can be good but Chairgun is THE BEST FOR AIRGUN PELLETS. .....Dave who wrote the software is a Brit who now lives in Spain. He consulted Steve Woodward on the specifics of the maths. ( I had a little input in verifying validity of pellet attitude in flight to extreme range of over 700 yards, after the programme had been written ).

Here is the address that has all the links.

http://www.airgunexpo.com/calc/index.cfm

The page is courtesy of Patrick Hammond in the USA, another fine airgun shooter. The rifle demos put together by Perry Babin are priceless for gaining or cementing concepts and there is a calculator embedded there too for pellet drop etc. Steve also wrote much of the content that Perry graphically portrays.

I reckon Dr G will have some sleepless nights filling in time out there in Roxby Downs ...... Dr G, Wendy and I didn't quite get to RD a few months ago. We traveled down through Coober Pedy thence south and back to Wilpena P and then up the Strzelecki Track and around to Cameron Corner. Amazing camps in the desert.

Anyway, work your way through the main ones. Register for Chairgun. You won't have to pay and if you have specific questions about it you can contact Dave who wrote it and is a great bloke .

Hope you enjoy fiddling with all the goodies there.... Kind regards, Harry.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Re: A wonderful resource for working out just about everythi

Post by Dr G »

Yrrah wrote:I reckon Dr G will have some sleepless nights filling in time out there in Roxby Downs ...... Dr G, Wendy and I didn't quite get to RD a few months ago. We traveled down through Coober Pedy thence south and back to Wilpena P and then up the Strzelecki Track and around to Cameron Corner. Amazing camps in the desert.
G'Day Harry

Your right it is a special part of the world. I am fortunate enough to spend about a quarter of the year camped out in it for work. I also spend some big chunks of my own time out bush as well. Great scenery and friendly people.

If your passing back this way drop me a line or email and catch up for a hot cuppa or beer. I will hapilly buy the beers in exchange for a few tales and wisdom.

cheers mate

Dr G