Lewis - Crystal ball time

Con
.308 Winchester

Lewis - Crystal ball time

Post by Con »

Hey Lewis,
A penny for your thoughts. Do you think we airgunners are likely to see a movement away from lead pellets to other materials? It's already started in Europe and the US regarding centrefire projectiles for hunting. What about the humble air-rifle pellet?
Any implications for magnum springer or PCP users?
Cheers...
Con
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

I don't think anything will happen for a long time but you never know.
Probably wise to stock up just in case,Con.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I would love to see some true High BC airgun pellets we are really lacking in them and they would be great for silhouette and hunting and the like!! Imagine being able to buy ones that are even as good as a 17hmr pill *DROOLS*
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

I had a fiddle with some of those 17HMR things in the shop on Monday and all they are is a hollow copper case with a tiny bit of lead in the bottom! Same thing applies to these new "Varmint Grenade" projectiles. Lots of hollow copper at the pointy end and a blob of lead at the bottom. Very aerodynamic but hit a fly between you and the target and I rekon they would deform and go haywire. I'm not too certain about their ability to hold together at really high velocities.
Dennis.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Hilly wrote:I had a fiddle with some of those 17HMR things in the shop on Monday and all they are is a hollow copper case with a tiny bit of lead in the bottom! Same thing applies to these new "Varmint Grenade" projectiles. Lots of hollow copper at the pointy end and a blob of lead at the bottom. Very aerodynamic but hit a fly between you and the target and I rekon they would deform and go haywire. I'm not too certain about their ability to hold together at really high velocities.
Dennis.
The 17hmr seems to work fine for the dozens of people that I know thave have them as for the varmint grenade thingos I'd rather stick to my Vmax or btips!
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Not a very popular caliber around here so I can't really coment but the projectioe seemed so delicate and, well, fragile. There is a 17HMR heavy barrel Savage stainless varminter on the shelf which is due to go out shortly so I will get some feedback about how things work out in a week or so.
Dennis.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

thats odd do a search for 17hmr on the forum and see what comes up I have never seen anyone say that they are rubbish or anything like that! Like all cartridges they have their positives and negatives but they still kick the hell out of a 22mag ballistically speaking!

I have used one and find they are tops for what they are designed for!
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

kjd,
I still view the 17HMR as a bit of a gimmick ... but great for those that may want 22Hornet reach on a Cat A license. Being in the middle of dairy country, the 22Mag still reigns supreme as a 40gr solid to the head is much better "cow medicine" for the farmers. I keep looking at a Brno varmint in 17HMR at the LGS ... but personally just cant justify the ammunition costs and angst if it doesn't shoot perfectly.
Cheers...
Con