Things are slow ... try this if you have time on your hands;

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Re: Things are slow ... try this if you have time on your ha

Post by Yrrah »

curan wrote:
Yrrah wrote:.........So - some very small groups can still be shot at longer ranges with some pellets that spiral. When they all have the tendency, I think we see round hollow groups. If only say one in five spirals we may just see a flier outside the cluster of four..........
Hi Harry,

From your comment above, I figure you have experienced both scenarios often enough to get the feeling mentioned above, but have you started narrowing the cause? Your thought makes perfect sense to me, I just wonder if you have experienced enough of it to draw some rough conclusions against certain pellets, barrel fit, etc (I'm assuming you are sizing, weighing, etc).

My other question (and GS may also be knowledgable in this area) is relating to "air strippers". Have you ever used one, and what do you think of the potential? They have me wondering to the possibilities, but I cannot recall you using one. Therefore I am doubting their worth.

Thanks for your continued posts. I always find your research fascinating. You've got me remembering your posts on indexing nicked pellet skirts now, and wondering about applications in this phase of your research. Keep it up Harry, and you may well get to be the first person I have heard of to legitimately wear out a barrel on an air rifle using lead pellets :)

regards, curan.
Yes Curan, I have my beliefs about some pellets and the reasons they go stupid, Also about "hollow groups shot with unstable pellets. I also have enough footage of groups shot with pellets straight from the tin where three or four have flown well and landed together while the one or two others oscillated and or spiraled, to land outside the group.

In respect of air strippers. Yes I had one made and shot some fine groups with it:

Here's a long thread from back when I was experimenting with it.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... s+it+work-

But today it lies in a box with a question mark hanging in the air. My present opinion is that if they do seem to show a positive result it may well be that they are acting as a de-facto tuning weight; in that the adjustment of the cone is actually changing the barrel balance and possibly harmonic vibrations. My experience has only been with .22 and .25 cal rifles. ... Nothing I was able to achieve has not been equaled or bettered with my rifles shot bare barrel. ... I may re-visit it all some day, but that's where it stands for me and my good rifles presently.

The noise has a slightly different ring to it but is not moderated. So no problems there.

Kind regards, Harry.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Thanks for that Harry.

Are you thinking of crossing the Tasman to have a look at the FT Worlds next year?

regards, curan
greyskull
Favourite Cartridge: JSB EXACT 4.52mm

Post by greyskull »

Firstly, apologies to Harry for the thread hijack.
curan wrote:
Oh, and when and where are the FT world titles being held in NZ now? I'm having a good hard think about coming for a look (work, wealth and wife permitting). :wink:
NZ is hosting the World FT Champs in 2014. We expect a fair continget from the USA along with high power rigs for a special one off event in NZ. The normal WFTF 12 ft/lbs event will be World champ status, but we have added an "open" class for up to 30 ft/lbs in .22 cal also.

My best guess is September, 2nd week, 2014. Thats as precise as I can be at this early stage. Venue Wellington which you can fly directly into from Sydney I believe.

Don't wait until then, get shooting and preparing and have a go along with some mates! We think there will be at least 8 spots for Team Australia reserved.

My experience tells me that one does not usually do well at one's first attempt at this event. It is one of those things where you keep coming back year after year (funds and wife's approval permitting) until you are within reach.........then anything is possible on the "right" day when it all comes together. The Worlds are like cookies, one is never enough.....

kind regards
GS (Adam)
Regarding the World Champs 2014 anyone can contact me at: gov.nzafta@hotmail.com
greyskull
Favourite Cartridge: JSB EXACT 4.52mm

Post by greyskull »

Yrrah wrote:
curan wrote:
Yrrah wrote:.........So - some very small groups can still be shot at longer ranges with some pellets that spiral. When they all have the tendency, I think we see round hollow groups. If only say one in five spirals we may just see a flier outside the cluster of four..........
Hi Harry,

From your comment above, I figure you have experienced both scenarios often enough to get the feeling mentioned above, but have you started narrowing the cause? Your thought makes perfect sense to me, I just wonder if you have experienced enough of it to draw some rough conclusions against certain pellets, barrel fit, etc (I'm assuming you are sizing, weighing, etc).

My other question (and GS may also be knowledgable in this area) is relating to "air strippers". Have you ever used one, and what do you think of the potential? They have me wondering to the possibilities, but I cannot recall you using one. Therefore I am doubting their worth.

Thanks for your continued posts. I always find your research fascinating. You've got me remembering your posts on indexing nicked pellet skirts now, and wondering about applications in this phase of your research. Keep it up Harry, and you may well get to be the first person I have heard of to legitimately wear out a barrel on an air rifle using lead pellets :)

regards, curan.
Yes Curan, I have my beliefs about some pellets and the reasons they go stupid, Also about "hollow groups shot with unstable pellets. I also have enough footage of groups shot with pellets straight from the tin where three or four have flown well and landed together while the one or two others oscillated and or spiraled, to land outside the group.

In respect of air strippers. Yes I had one made and shot some fine groups with it:

Here's a long thread from back when I was experimenting with it.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... s+it+work-

But today it lies in a box with a question mark hanging in the air. My present opinion is that if they do seem to show a positive result it may well be that they are acting as a de-facto tuning weight; in that the adjustment of the cone is actually changing the barrel balance and possibly harmonic vibrations. My experience has only been with .22 and .25 cal rifles. ... Nothing I was able to achieve has not been equaled or bettered with my rifles shot bare barrel. ... I may re-visit it all some day, but that's where it stands for me and my good rifles presently.

The noise has a slightly different ring to it but is not moderated. So no problems there.

Kind regards, Harry.
Harry, would the following image be in the ballpark?

I'm thinking x axis error and y axis error, X axis being in reverse to the rifling twist direction? Just trying to get a firm grasp of this.

GS