Pellet traps

Predator

Pellet traps

Post by Predator »

I'm thinking of building a pellet trap out of wood with an angled steel plate in the back and a clipboard clip on the front for mounting printed targets but then I thought, stuff it, i'll just buy one :)

Any recommendations? Any around with an opening the size of an A4 sheet of paper?

Also, the yanks seem to spread some "ballistic" putty in the back to stop them making too much noise, is this stuff sold over here, or is there an equivalent I can get from a hardware store?

cheers

Greg
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Post by Chrispy »

Ballistic putty is sold over here as plumbers putty, apparently.

What's wrong with a cardboard box full of old newspapers?
Cheap and recyclable.

I've built my own pellet trap of 3mm plate, angled at 45 degrees so the pills go into the ground, but the cardboard box gets used heaps more, I must have put 1000 pills into it now, and replaced the paper once.

I also collected the used pellets to recycle into cast bullets later, tedious but worth it.

Chrispy
Last edited by Chrispy on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Here's one I made a while back from scrap - the back is 2mm steel, and does make a little noise when hit - a sheet of old lead would soon fix that.

Takes some little silhouettes too.

makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

me too

Post by makrand »

yup, i was thinking of this too.
Didn't really want to buy one and now the cardboard box sounds ideal to me.
Thanks for letting me know that it works fine.
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

No noise with this carpet trap. I use it for my FWB 300s indoors. It will handle the Excalibre 22 when I tighten down the nuts. Best to use new off cuts which I get free from the local floor cover shop.

daisy

Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Nice traps guys!
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

fantastic.

Any more cheap/free trap ideas?
I just used to use chipboard but I was in the UK where 12 ft/lbs wouldn't go through too much.
ant

Post by ant »

I use a carboard box stuffed with six towels. Good for indoors and outdoors. Indoors with the air pistol so gentle that you can even recycle the pellets through the resizer. (Oops sorry Lewis, not good for sales)
Outdoors Same box sitting inside an old steel tool chest to catch any that the R9 push through
Predator

Post by Predator »

daisy wrote:No noise with this carpet trap. I use it for my FWB 300s indoors. It will handle the Excalibre 22 when I tighten down the nuts. Best to use new off cuts which I get free from the local floor cover shop.

daisy

awesome, that looks similar to how my compound bow target is made, except it uses thin layers of dense foam...
Predator

Post by Predator »

fenring wrote:Here's one I made a while back from scrap - the back is 2mm steel, and does make a little noise when hit - a sheet of old lead would soon fix that.

Takes some little silhouettes too.

thats what I had in mind, except made of hardwood instead of steel tubing... I like the silhouette idea!

keep em coming guys!
fenring

Post by fenring »

Spinners I made for the .22 - would work for air rifles too.

And the big plate I can hang off it.

Mind you, even mild .44 magnum loads sometimes knock the whole thing over - and one hit with my .30 cal Nagant sent it flying - needs to be pegged into the ground, LOL.