The difference is MYNA

curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Re: The difference is MYNA

Post by curan »

Harley wrote:......(Please forgive me being a stickler for details, comes with being a freelance writer I guess)......
Welcome aboard!

I remember a mate describing freelancing as "being unemployed between random paychecks" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

Well, I,ve just helped out the native bird population by taking out 3 Indian Mynas this weekend--- a breeding pair and 1 loner.
I love administering lead aspros to Indian Mynas
Cheers Malcolm
Harley

Post by Harley »

kjd wrote: Welcome mate,

What sort of writing do you do? Hunting and shooting etc?
Been writing for fishing mags for too many years to recall, will be submitting a few shooting articles in the not too distant future.

Have been a hunter on and off for over thirty years and even shot handguns at targets for a while (loved metal silhouette with the handguns).

In more recent years I've become a reborn airgun hunter, to curb the population growth of mynas and feral pigeons in my back yard (13 acres of open blue gum).

Naturally use the pneumatics for bunnies, hares, cats, etc as well as the feathered ferals.
trapper
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by trapper »

I reckon the Noisy Miner is as big a pest as the Indian Myna. They gang up on the parrots while they are feeding in the grevillias we planted for them. Today I saw two of them chasing away a finch. They'll even have a go at the kookas, although they tend to ignore them. A couple of years ago I had one go feral and it pecked out the sealant from some of my windows.

I hate 'em :rifle:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

The difference is MYNA

Post by kjd »

Regardless of that trapper they are still native!
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I nailed two on Friday :D love that thunk sound you get, the R9 delivered some justice to the native birds. The first had his head and most of his chest obscured by a branch in front of him so gave him a JSB predator just behind the chest, flew 10 meters and fell out of the sky. The other popped up after the first was dispatched, he dropped on the spot. Funny enough straight after he dropped a big kooka came over to see the comotion and next thing he drops down and starts pecking the Mynah. I guess they don't like em either :lol:
trapper
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by trapper »

kjd wrote:Regardless of that trapper they are still native!
Yeh, pity kjd. Unfortunately humans have upset the balance in favour of the Noisy Miner. From the Australian Museum's website (http://australianmuseum.net.au/Noisy-Miner):

"Noisy Miners, Manorina melanocephala, can be annoying because of their constant vocalizations, but their main problem is the impact they have on other birds. Both problems arise from a dramatic increase in their abundance resulting from the creation of favourable habitat by humans."

Humans have created a habitat which favours the Noisy Miner over the other native birds. I've seen that first hand with the parrots and kookas. We created the problem, and we have the means to help reduce it. Nuff said. :wink:
fenring

Post by fenring »

stinkitup wrote:Funny enough straight after he dropped a big kooka came over to see the comotion and next thing he drops down and starts pecking the Mynah. I guess they don't like em either :lol:

:lol:
hold it hold it
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by hold it hold it »

You guys must be unlucky i dont think iv ever seen an Indian myna up here but plenty of beautiful hawks, parrots etc

Are starlings considered a pest?
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

trapper wrote:
kjd wrote:Regardless of that trapper they are still native!
Yeh, pity kjd. Unfortunately humans have upset the balance in favour of the Noisy Miner. From the Australian Museum's website (http://australianmuseum.net.au/Noisy-Miner):

"Noisy Miners, Manorina melanocephala, can be annoying because of their constant vocalizations, but their main problem is the impact they have on other birds. Both problems arise from a dramatic increase in their abundance resulting from the creation of favourable habitat by humans."

Humans have created a habitat which favours the Noisy Miner over the other native birds. I've seen that first hand with the parrots and kookas. We created the problem, and we have the means to help reduce it. Nuff said. :wink:
Sure, but still illegal to shoot them without a permit.
gigitt
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by gigitt »

hold it hold it wrote: Are starlings considered a pest?
Yep
:auto:
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

i grew up knocking the mynas out of trees around me dads place at morisset.they are cunning lil buggas.drop a couple and the others know to stay away.
ive had to climb the nabours roof to get countless numbers off.
at 15 i could drop a myna with a head shot,open sites at 30 yrds.
god that was fun,AND 23 yrs ago.
no worries with cops back then,now you get in shit for walking out the house with an un-bagged rifle of any kind.

f@%*^ing bureaucrats :evil:
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by deadkelly »

no worries with cops back then,now you get in shit for walking out the house with an un-bagged rifle of any kind.

f@%*^ing bureaucrats . to bloody right . ol martin bryant got the 8 ball rolling , 9/11 topped it off . i can't believe how many young aussies have never shot a rifle before . but i try my best to getem to the range & have a go , but all the BS new guy's have gotta go through to get there licence & cost stops em . the other major factor is there girlfriends , modern chicks are extreamly ultra left wing . you should of seen some of the heated debates i've had with these fools on face book . i'm not on there anymore but i won the huge debate about shooting cats & foxes mainly thanks to the queensland museum's feral cat display i chanced upon the day after the debate started . lucky my phone had a camera & i took heaps of photo's & posted them up on fagbook .