Permit to Acquire, Rejected?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
davegh2o
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x47L ai

Permit to Acquire, Rejected?

Post by davegh2o »

Hi all,

I procured a Remington MLR in 338 Lapua to be used for long distance pest shooting and large feral animals.

Eight weeks after my application was sent in, I have to provide futher evidence of why I need such a firearm and fear I may have this PTA rejected!

I would like to hear from anyone who has had any experience with this situation, in Queensland our Weapons act does not restrict these calibres then why is Weapons Licensing making it difficult for the application?

How can I sell a gun I never owned to somebody who cannot get a permit for it?

Regards Dave
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: Permit to Acquire, Rejected?

Post by kjd »

davegh2o wrote:Hi all,

I procured a Remington MLR in 338 Lapua to be used for long distance pest shooting and large feral animals.

Eight weeks after my application was sent in, I have to provide futher evidence of why I need such a firearm and fear I may have this PTA rejected!

I would like to hear from anyone who has had any experience with this situation, in Queensland our Weapons act does not restrict these calibres then why is Weapons Licensing making it difficult for the application?

How can I sell a gun I never owned to somebody who cannot get a permit for it?

Regards Dave
Id get it to a smith and get it chambered to something like a 338 edge and put the PTA in again and watch it sail right through. I imagine the fact that the 338 LAPUA is the scary bit for the FAR and its stupid and doesn't make sense but because "snipers" use 338 Lapua its going to give you a bit of bother. That said I'd almost guarantee that any other 338 cartridge will sail through just fine.
cambo

Post by cambo »

there similar reasons I used on my .338LM PTAs in Victoria with no issues.

destruction of large feral animals and long range target shooting.

The politics on the .338LM shits me
davegh2o

Post by davegh2o »

cambo wrote:there similar reasons I used on my .338LM PTAs in Victoria with no issues.

destruction of large feral animals and long range target shooting.

The politics on the .338LM shits me

Cambo,

Mate I used the same with scrub bull and buffalo, I blew off the long range target shooting as anything over 8mm is not allowed at the ranges in QLD.

Now my Gunsmith believes this is the next calibre on the chopping block when it comes to banning on the weapons act?

regards Dave
pete152
.22 WMR

Post by pete152 »

Yes I would be saying you need it for large boned feral animal destruction.

Cheers,
Peter
davegh2o

Post by davegh2o »

yep,

(large feral animals) doesn't work. Another fellow just got rejected for an MLR.

Where does it say we are not allowed to have them?

I have to re-barrel it as a re-chambering won't work, nothing is as wide as a Lapua Mag. And I'm not interested in having a 22 inch 338 Edge barrel.
cambo

Post by cambo »

davegh2o wrote:yep,

(large feral animals) doesn't work. Another fellow just got rejected for an MLR.

Where does it say we are not allowed to have them?

I have to re-barrel it as a re-chambering won't work, nothing is as wide as a Lapua Mag. And I'm not interested in having a 22 inch 338 Edge barrel.

I struggle with ths the wild west states (QLD and WA) have worse restictions then Vic and NSW.