the custom 6/250 story

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

the custom 6/250 story

Post by trevort »

Some background, I shot a lot with cheap rifles (CMC Stirling, Mossberg) from 87 to 94. Went back to N. Ireland in 94 so had to sell all guns. returned in 96 with a family that had extended to 2 small kids and mates who I shot with had given up (I was the mad keen one that organised the trips and dragged them along) so let the license expire.

3 years ago as the family(now 3 of them) have got older and we are a bit more financial I decided I needed a hobby and would get back into shooting. Co incidentally my next door neighbour who had been a target and tin can plinker for years with a 22 had decided he was going to start hunting. So we are no longer neighbours but still friends. Since my clients are farmers and i have the land access, I hope he isnt just using me 8)

The gun bug bit bad. I have my limit that can squeeze in the 5 gun safe (7) and have bought and sold a few on the way

I started handloading for the 243 which came first and then the 204 ruger came along and infected me with the accuracy bug. I decided that i wanted a rifle that would perform better than me( well most factory rifles can do that but I wanted to KNOW I had a rifle that was better than me)

Since most of my shooting is spotlighting and at the range I wanted a heavy accurate rifle. I want a better 204 but since the factory one worked so well I have no excuse to upgrade that. When i took the 243 out for roos a distant fox would always appear and my light tikka 243 hunter needed a better nut behind the butt to get those 200m foxes consistently. Of course the 204 would fix up those foxes but It was in the cab when we were culling roos (legally) So I decided I wanted a 6mm projectile but I didnt need as much powder as a 243 case. I wanted a heavy rifle with a thumbhole stock so less jump on longer shots. I read JB747 on the 6/250 and after my only shot with a borrowed 22/250 I took home a case, necked it up and seated a 70gn NBT. Yes It looks balanced. I want one. traded the 243 in on the scope for this rifle.

The only other person I had met who had a custom rifle (JB 747) told me his smith would not take on new clients. His smith had given Shane a big rap by saying his work was at least as good. I also later heard this from Ogre who knew the same smith. Here he was answering all my stupid questions on the net for free so the choice of the builder was easy!

Well you've seen the pictures. I took some more but today i find out photobucket is a banned site under our corporate internet policy. I will load them up tonight.

We have also had discussion on the stock. OK I will agree, the short fore end makes it less pretty than it might have been. It is however extremely comfortable and steady to grip. The bedding job is superb. Rock solid. Instructions were to tighten the action screws after 10 rounds. Checked after 10 20 and 40. No movement at all. Function wins over form and I actually like the look. If HS precision bring one out 2 inches longer I will change tho!

The stainless match barrel gets my standard treatment, patch out dry twice. Soak with solvent on a patch. let it sit 30 mins. 2 dry patches. 20 passes with a bronze brush soaked in solvent. Sit 30 mins. 2 dry patches. 20 passes with a nylon brush soaked in solvent. Another 15- 30 mins. 2 dry patches. A patch soaked in gun lube. Then dry patch till clean. 3 Patches is all is needed before its clean. Yes i have copper blue after the solvent. This is the first barrel I have follwed break in instructions for!

I have let 2 others fire it and the trigger is something else when you are used to factory sporters. It will probably take me some time to get it right but its very crisp and very light.

First range trip only got to break in the barrel.

I was on a farm Monday so set up the target and had 20 shots left. 2 of the barrel break in load. 3 loaded with 2206H and one with 2208. All behind the 65 VM.

You will see on the photos the firing platform was not benchrest standard! I couldnt get the butt snugged into my shoulder and keep the front on the stand. Anyway you will see one group that shows that this thing has potential. I will be trying lots of powder weights and the 70NBTs as well as the Vmaxes.

Shane cut the throat so the Vmax dummy round was just off the lands. I can take the NBT out a little but I have had a comparitor on order locally since end November. Gave up last week and ordered from Sinclair. I do not want to adjust the seating micrometer until the comparitor turns up.

By the way, the Nosler custom brass is supposed to be prepped. I cleaned the pockets on the fired cases with the Sinclair uniforming tool and it was taking out brass. I am keen to get to the range with once fired brass formed to the chamber that has been neck sized and had the pockets uniformed.

Was it worth it. well so far my ruger Vt in 204 and CZ 527 in 223 have produced smaller groups. But they have had lots of load development. There is definitely a "pride of ownership factor". Call me a wanker if you like but I am sure you all have a prize possession that just gives you pleasure in looking at it. this is doing it for me. So much so that i bought Ogre's 20 cal barrel and if no one buys my WSSM I have a trade in organised on an SPS to get an action to start a sporter weight 204. I still intend to build a target one in future also.

Hopefully i get to the range in a few weeks and I will post on the outcome. Fingers are crossed that I find the sweetspot load that time.

Hope I havent put you to sleep. Look out for pictures tonight.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Great write up mate,

I really want to make my mod 70 22-250 a 6/250 and am looking forward to being a in a position where I can afford such a thing. I reckon it will be tops.
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

Shane has my 22-250 howa action/barrel to rebarrel to 6/250, i'm dying to
have a blast on it. :-P

-Arch
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

Can't you girls handle a big bad .243 ? :wink:
Nothing wrong with trevort's groups (and I'm sure he'll do better with further experimentation) but I can show you some in the low 3's off the bipod over the boot of the Commodore if you think that .243 ain't capable . My fireforming loads would have been comparable to trevort's by the look of them .
I've got about 6 - 700 rounds thru my .243 Ackley and no throat erosion visible to the naked eye yet . (I do know what it looks like BTW)
Lapua brass available for .243 too .
Can't see why everyone is getting a fat about the 6/250 . You can always load a .243 back if that concerned about barrel life .

Image[/img]
Last edited by bushchook on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Its more for something different then the 243. I know for me I'd hate to be thrown into the 243 wankers category :lol: :lol: :lol:
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

I'd forgotten about your aversion to the great pope gun and those that use them .
I graduated from the .22/250 to .243 Ackley in one go . Some don't catch on that fast and may need something in between initially ! :D
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

bushchook wrote:I'd forgotten about your aversion to the great pope gun and those that use them .
I graduated from the .22/250 to .243 Ackley in one go . Some don't catch on that fast and may need something in between initially ! :D
See what I mean about 243 wankers lol.... jk.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Can't see why everyone is getting a fat about the 6/250 .
I'm with Bushchook on this one, I don't know if you can buy 6/250 brass of the shelf?, If you carn't , then it means a far bit of mucking around to produce the cases, for a hunting rifle :cry:
I could undestand if it was for BR only, but with the ammount of factory cals out there, I just dont think it is worth the farting around for a hunting rile.

I have been shooting with heaps of blokes with exotics cals and firearms and at the end of the day no,one is really any better than others.

I reckon it comes down to ability :wink:

Take a bloke out of a HQ and put him in an RX7 and does that make him a better drive because its more fancy and faster?I think not :roll:

Its a free world so IMO do wht you want :wink:
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Nice article trevort and very good groups so far. How is the scope going? Are you happy with that one?
Looks like there is a 6/250 versus .243 debate going on now. :D
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

My turn now....

If you want a smoking 6mm, the 6mmAI is the go.

If accuracy, barrel life and cheap to run is what you want.. the 6mmBR.

The 243 and 6/250 will not run with a 6mmBR. So its not the fastest 6mm... but varminting equals accuracy.

I am sorry to say that I am not a lover of the 243 either... I do not really know why, just think other caliber suit my needs better! Everytime I think of a rifle for a different application, a 243 never seems to pop up!

Cheers
AI
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

We must remember that its a case of "each to his own".

As far as mucking around with brass... all you have to do is run 22-250 brass through a sizing die with a tapered expander ball and you have a 6/250 case. I size all my brass when its new from the factory so I don't see how it would be a muck around.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

kjd wrote:".

As far as mucking around with brass... all you have to do is run 22-250 brass through a sizing die with a tapered expander ball and you have a 6/250 case. I size all my brass when its new from the factory so I don't see how it would be a muck around.
Exactly. If there was much mucking around I wouldnt bother. Tapered expander, one pass thats it. And the dies are made by redding. No probs there. I also fancied a 20 Br but dont want to try making the brass. No need for it I suppose as I am not planning on entering br comps.

Yes, each to their own. I wanted to push light pills (65 and 70) and I am very much into making as little fuss about it as possible. Toyed with the idea of a varmint 243 but just dont reckon you need that much powder. I did like the calibre and the Tikka was pretty accurate but when I was looking for an excuse to build a custom thats the best one I could come up with :lol:
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I've owned a .243, a 6mm and a 6BR, and all were good rifles, but the 6BR killed the others with accuracy, head and shoulders above the others. The main problem with a 6BR is feeding, though, it's hell to pay to try to get one to feed reliably. The 6/250 gives you, basically, a 6BR that feeds like silk, with maybe a little more horsepower, to go with it. I don't see anything wrong with a 6/250, nothing at all! It makes perfect sense for our NA predators like coyotes, where a .243 is a bit much, and the feeding is important.
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by Drew Jaeger »

kjd wrote:Its more for something different then the 243. I know for me I'd hate to be thrown into the 243 wankers category :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with a 243 as a medium game calibre!!!