Project 303

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Project 303

Post by lowndsie »

Having 2 303's made me realise that I would be lucky to ever use one let along 2 of them. So I decided to pick the one that wasnt in mint condition and see what I could do with it. I first sourced a new target barrel that was made in the 70's. It was brand new and still the plastic and grease. I got it for next to nothing so was pretty happy with that. I then had the barrel and some mounts fitted by a local smith. While I was at the smiths, I noticed a sporterised wooden forend that someone had given him. He threw it my way and I was just about fully setup. I worked up some handloads with 150gr sierra pro hunters and 39gr of 2206. It was a mild load in my rifle but would consistanly throw 5 shots into the magic moa mark with a few groups going even better. With this setup, and a 3-9 tasco, I'd made a cheap and reliable shooting beast. Over a few years, it's all I ever used to take countless goats and pigs. Those handloads never let me down and they really flattened game.
But with access to a new farm, I decided to see if I could sporterise it just a little further. I wanted something reasonably light weight for close range scrub work on pigs. So I sourced a Ramline synthetic stock and set about butchering it so the barrel was free floated. My next step was to do some work on the trigger. This part took me quite a few months to complete due to most of it being trial and error. But the end result was a single stage trigger set at 1.2kg (or close to) and no detectable creep. Great for snap shooting..... The last step was to mount a 2-8 x 33 tasco on it.
Finally the other day I got around to working up some loads using 180gr speer RN's. You'll see me in a weeks time down at the range finding out how they go!!!!

Pix to come shortly.
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Not bad for an old clunker ... Now loose to some barrel length to make it a bit handier :P
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Not bad for an old clunker ... Now loose to some barrel length to make it a bit handier
you mean like your 444 horse pistol???
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Lowndsie wrote:
Not bad for an old clunker ... Now loose to some barrel length to make it a bit handier
you mean like your 444 horse pistol???
Hell no ... will never be that good :P
siacci

Post by siacci »

I have done the same to my 303. I got the gunsmith to cut off the stepdown part at the muzzle and recrown it. He also tore off the safety and re built it much lighter. I am yet to put a good scope on it but the 135 grain sierras work real well. Its much lighter to cart around and looks much more appealing as well.

Dave
foxhunter223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by foxhunter223 »

Looks like a good job to me. I should have a tricked up 303 in my gun safe as well. At least Remington17 wouldn't pinch it off me. Way to much recoil for her crook shoulder.
Pete
guyt1

303's

Post by guyt1 »

Hi ,I had 2 -303s in my cupboard and did exactly the same , rebaralled the oldest one and fitted a Ramline stock and Simmonds 3-9 power scope on it . I have loaded it with 150 grain projectiles and 35 grains of 2208 and it will give me a 1 inch group at 100 yards . Guy
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

The good'ole traditional aussie hunting rifle. Great to see they are still being made!!

Although I do like them 'uncut' - a lot!
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Ive often thought of it, my local gun shop has a full sporterised .303 with scope, bipod the whole bit, I couldnt bring myself to butcher the two I have.