mauser 98

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
tikka223

mauser 98

Post by tikka223 »

I have had the chance to go scub bull culling a couple of times and also chasing pigs but i have had to turn the offers down as only owning a .223 my potential game is limited. I was looking at a military mauser 98 to base a custom build but have found a mauser 98 in 30-06 which is in my price range and has a stainless steel barrel and is $700 with rings and a one piece base.
m98 30-06.jpg
recoil should not be a problem even though i am 15
I was wondering what you guys thought about it?
any feedback would be greatly Appreciated
cheers
tikka
fritz

Re: mauser 98

Post by fritz »

Sounds like a good deal. .308 Win would be a good cartridge to look for too.

Hows the wood on that Mauser?
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Nice looking rifle mate, would be worth checking out. Beware of Mausers with 'customised' military stocks though, most of them kick like a mule - but the stock on that looks great.
tikka223

Post by tikka223 »

thank you for the advice hiwall, do you think that the price is reasonable? it seems it to me.
cheers
tikka
Mevo2230
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 9.3*62

Post by Mevo2230 »

Nice looking M98 sporter with a good looking sporter stock on it.

Certainly would be nicer then a new howa or vanguard
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Tikka,

Thats certainly a fine choice of rifle. We have an old bloke that gets out at Silverdale with a Columbian chambered in 30'06 it still has its original barrel (the Columbians re-barreled these after WWII) however this old bloke and his rifle are shooting half inch groups at 100).

That old Mauser will out shoot alongside any of the rifles that are on the shelves today and no doubt a few dollars have been invested in that barrel.

Some of those old Mausers have seen more then one conflict and proved their reliability under the extremes and adverse conditions of the battlefield, given a new lease of life they make fine hunting rifles.

Once you've owned a Mauser there's really no other comparison, in time you will want another and if you maintain that rifle with proper care it will last ten life times.
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

tikka223 wrote:thank you for the advice hiwall, do you think that the price is reasonable? it seems it to me.
cheers
tikka
I reckon it is a great price mate - at $700 you are really only paying for the action and gunsmith work, the rest of the rifle comes free!! At worst, if you are not happy with the accuracy or the chambering you have a great basis for any long action or standard magnum length custom rifle.

Or look at it another way, you would only be paying for the stainless barrel and fitting - all the rest is free!

Just plonk a good scope on it and you are in business for less than the cost of a new howa/tikka/vanguard AND have a Mauser to play with. :wink:
badger74

Post by badger74 »

I asked a similar question on another forum, as Im looking to do the same thing.
I was hoping to be able to pick up an ex military rifle in 308 or 30-06 with the mauser action and restock it myself using a stock from these guys
http://www.rifle-stocks.com
From the prices on their website, I should be able to get a laminated stock landed here for under A$200.
So whats involved in sporterizing a military rifle?
Mevo2230
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 9.3*62

Post by Mevo2230 »

First off, start with a rifle that has already been modified, it annoys us clunkerphiles to see a nice rifle hacked up, so find one with that has already been drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and the stock modified.

Some people also mill off the charger bridge and remove the iron sights as well.

And make sure to have fun making your mauser sporter mate :D
Rick1970
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 Remington

Post by Rick1970 »

Nice looking hunting rig at the right price. I have one 98 Mauser rebarreled to 30/06 and if that rifle was sitting at my LGS there would be a fair chance i would now own two 30/06 98's :D
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

badger74 wrote:...From the prices on their website, I should be able to get a laminated stock landed here for under A$200. So whats involved in sporterizing a military rifle?
G'day Badger,

I have a mate that has a semi finished Mauser sporter that has been re-barelled to .257 Roberts. He also recently picked up a new Ram line stock from Western Firearms for $180.

As for sporterising an old Mauser there's not much involved just take it to a competent gunsmith, I have considered obtaining an old Swedish Gustaf and having it rechambered to 6.5X47L.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I have a ramline on my Carl Gustaf. Its a sporterised 96, had the barrel lop already done when we bought it, we added the stock, bedded it, has a timney, modified bolt to clear scope and cock on opening. Its great for a walkabout rifle, it aint pretty but still shots great.

Sean how you think the action would cope with the modern pressure's of the 6.5x47 or would you be down loading and using for hunting?

Ryan
badger74

Post by badger74 »

Sean Ambrose wrote:
badger74 wrote:...From the prices on their website, I should be able to get a laminated stock landed here for under A$200. So whats involved in sporterizing a military rifle?
G'day Badger,

I have a mate that has a semi finished Mauser sporter that has been re-barelled to .257 Roberts. He also recently picked up a new Ram line stock from Western Firearms for $180.

As for sporterising an old Mauser there's not much involved just take it to a competent gunsmith, I have considered obtaining an old Swedish Gustaf and having it rechambered to 6.5X47L.
So what work does the gunsmith need to do? Chop the barrel and recrown, machine for scope, anything else? Im hoping to find something in either 308 or 30-06, so don't want to go down the rechamber/rebarrel route.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Ryan,

I don't think that there would be any issue of pressure that would concern an old Swede, these actions have been used extensively as the basis for Custom rifles and larger calibers. I would though have it checked over by a competent Smith such as Shane Clancy.

Badger,

Basically, once you have found a decent Mauser I would have the Smith take the steps from the barrel, remove the front and rear sights, have the action tapped and the barrel re-crowned (11 degree) add a Timney trigger, have it re-blued and find a Ramline stock and have it bedded. You will also need have the bolt turnt down so that you will be able to cycle the action.

I would also try and find an old Mauser that has had some of this work already completed rather then butcher a rifle that a military fanatic would adore.

As for length, I think 26 inches would be sufficient.

If you were looking for something in 30 cal I know that the Israelis seized a convoy of Egyptian rifles and had them rechambered to .308. Most of these rifles did not see service.

Failing this try and find a Mark X. These are recognised as a Commercial grade Mauser, they generally have adjustable triggers and are tapped. They are also known to be able to withstand high pressures-given that many big game rifles have been built with these actions.

The Mark X's were manufactured in the former Yugoslavia, I believe they were machined with tooling obtained by Bruno (hence the circled Z that is stamped on the action) and finished by Interarms in Virginia England.

The rifle below is a Mark X with a Madco barrel chambered in .308 (The scope I acquired from Rinso, it shoots sub MOA at 200).

As a point of further interest the Commonwealth nations were previously using Mausers that were finished by Parker Hale. These actions were manufactured in Spain.
Attachments
IMG_0051.JPG
badger74

Post by badger74 »

Great info, Thanks Sean!