Accuracy of Steyr Scout and Rossi 17HMR

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Phoenix84

Accuracy of Steyr Scout and Rossi 17HMR

Post by Phoenix84 »

I'm thinking about getting a Steyr Scout as a carry rifle in .308...
A friend wants a Rossi S/S 17hmr (after using my Savage - needs a but a bit cheaper)...

Has anyone used these rifles to comment on the accuracy of them and any other relevant issues?

Cheers - Trent
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Accuracy of Steyr Scout and Rossi 17HMR

Post by trevort »

the scout, goddam ugly looking thing.

But just my opinion :wink:
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

trevort wrote:the scout, goddam ugly looking thing.

But just my opinion :wink:
And mine :wink:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I'd own one :D
Mevo2230
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 9.3*62

Post by Mevo2230 »

A mate of mine from TAFE owns a Steyr Scout and the thing shoots! It was nice and light as well.

When I was at the range I saw him put 5 rounds into the one hole at 50 (long as the range was) using 180grn PMC ammo.

It feels a little weird using it at first, but I rather liked the rifle, I would probably get a pro hunter instead though.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

kjd wrote:I'd own one :D
to me rifles are aesthetically pleasing. I'd have them hanging in racks on the wall if it was legal. I just wouldnt own a scout, sure I'd take it if you gave me one but i'd sell it pdq to buy a real gun :idea:
Phoenix84

Post by Phoenix84 »

trevort wrote:
kjd wrote:I'd own one :D
To me rifles are aesthetically pleasing. I'd have them hanging in racks on the wall if it was legal. I just wouldnt own a scout, sure I'd take it if you gave me one but i'd sell it pdq to buy a real gun :idea:
To me, aesthetics are the least influence in a rifle. Sure - if there were two for the same price, same function etc,etc,etc and one looked crap I'd go for the better of the two, but that's about the only case.

All my rifles are synthetic (except the laminate hummer). I don't go for wood, especially nice wood. If I did I know the first time I used it I'd trip, drop it, bump it or somehow scratch and dint the wood.

Steyr: because it's nice and light. The bipod is a good idea but too high for me in practice... better than nothing if you need one and doesn’t protrude. And there's just the fact that it's a Steyr :D
Phoenix84

Post by Phoenix84 »

Anyone on the Rossi 17HMR???
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

yep, I dont like wood either unless its just for looks and you wont take it out. My Clancy varminters are all synthetic stocked

just cause its a Steyr? So what. If your after accuracy a trued rem or a custom action. I dont think any of the target shooters here (and they would be the accuracy buffs) have ever posted anything singing the praises of a steyr. How much are they?

But again, you asked for opinions and they are like arseholes.........
Mine isnt worth any more than anyone elses.

Now if you had bought one and posted proud as punch pictures, I would have kept quiet as why be rude :wink:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

isn't the rossi a lever? I have only had one lever rimfire (a Henry 22) it printed patterns not groups. By reputation, bolt guns should give more accuracy than levers.
Phoenix84

Post by Phoenix84 »

trevort wrote:isn't the rossi a lever? I have only had one lever rimfire (a Henry 22) it printed patterns not groups. By reputation, bolt guns should give more accuracy than levers.

I know the Rossi he is talking about and it's a single shot.

As for the Steyr thing, I mean "it's a ( Image ) Steyr thing". Probably a hangup for from the F88. Always wanted one, a bit over the Remmy thing (for no reason - just want something else).
Phoenix84

Post by Phoenix84 »

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/gunsel ... gory=RIFLE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fenring

Post by fenring »

IMO the Scout is a bit gimmicky and you pay a lot for the privelige. I like 'em but I don't think they are worth the $$ compared to other rifles. Their Pro Hunter is about $1550....
spartan
Favourite Cartridge: 9mm

Post by spartan »

Hi Trent,

I've got a Scout in .223 and I love it. Bought it new in 2004. I don't shoot it much, but I'll never sell it - It's a keeper :D
Groups about 1.5 MOA with factory ammo, with handloads it will hold .8 MOA easily.

Yeah, they may be a bit gimmicky, but they have some innovative features and are very well made. If you want one, buy one!
Phoenix84

Post by Phoenix84 »

If I didn't go for the Scout, I'd be looking harder at one of the SSG 04's.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: damn the SSG08 not avaliable... and why? A FOLDING STOCK???!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
fenring wrote:IMO the Scout is a bit gimmicky and you pay a lot for the privelige. I like 'em but I don't think they are worth the $$ compared to other rifles. Their Pro Hunter is about $1550....