TOZ 78-05 .22Lr

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
badger74

TOZ 78-05 .22Lr

Post by badger74 »

Gday guys, havent been around for a few months - working OS.
Anyway back now and am in the market for a budget 22LR for plinking duties, some rabbits and the occasional range work (not comp)
I was looking at the stirling 1400ts, which got a great review here a while ago, but the price increase has pushed this to about $450, a little overpriced if you ask me.
I saw an add for the TOZ 78-05 for $325, and did a little reseach. TOZ is a Russian company thats been making firearms for years. They seem to have a good rep in Europe, but in Aus and the US they aren't seen much.
The 78-05 is a heavy barrel varmint style rifle, with a three way adjustable trigger, and comes with a 5 round mag, and three 10 round mags.
Winchester has also rebranded this as the wildcat wich get good reviews, but is about $150 more.
Anyone here had any experience with these? or any other recomendations. Yes, I know the second hand CZ can be picke up for $500 or, so, but I like the idea of a somewhat unusual rifle, and new is prefered.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: TOZ 78-05 .22Lr

Post by Knackers »

Get the Toz Badger,I had a Toz single shot and it shot like stink. :wink:
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by Ron Goulding »

Hi Badger74 , i got given one of the toz78s from my sponsor and good mate Keith Anderson from Industek Industies. Keith is the importer of the russian firearms such as the toz and Izhmash as well IOR scopes from Romania. Yes the toz is a great little rifle, as you mention fully adjustable trigger, heavy barrel and very very light even with a weaver 6-20 x 40 gradslam on it. I use mine in hunter class bench rest comps, i havent yet taken it out in the field. Another mate of mine has one and he shoots it in ssaa comps out Orange way. The price you mentioned is a really good deal on this little rifle, you wont be disapionted. If you want any spares or extra mags call Keith on ph 0294762818. cheers Ron
badger74

Post by badger74 »

Thanks for the responses guys. If anyone is interested, Vic city arms in Melbourne is the place that has them for $325. They are out of stock at the moment, but will be getting more in.
Thanks for that number too Ron.
Cheers Brad.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

You could get a blued synth marlin too mate, mine outshoots my mates CZ and another mates anschutz. Unreal how well it goes.
badger74

Post by badger74 »

Well, I put some hard earned down on the TOZ this arvo. It won't be in the country for a few months, but we will see how it goes when I comes it.
Now to decide on that first Centre Fire!
Cheers.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Do they do a Toz 17hmr mate??
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

You could get a blued synth marlin too mate, mine outshoots my mates CZ and another mates anschutz. Unreal how well it goes.
Not having a go Brad, but did you shoot all three rifles side by side with many different ammo's to find the load that each individual rifle likes, in the same wind conditions, same bench set up etc, etc. Or are you a better shot than your mates? That's a big call I reckon. :wink:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

I shot all rifles with each respective persons preferred ammo for thier gun. Not side by side but on one occasion or another. I have done some some mods to the marlin though- trigger and float job etc. Marlin rimfires are a very underrated rifle. I wouldnt be making this statement on a CZ friendly forum if I wasnt confident my marlin could outshoot one. Im not a big fan of the CZ rimfires, the action feels average to me- nothing against you guys as your very happy with yours. I do like the feel of the centerfire ones though. What im saying is bang for the buck marlin has never disappointed me. 22lr and 17hmr.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

the action feels average to me- nothing against you guys as your very happy with yours.
Fair enough, still don't think that is really a fair or good enough comparison, cause you might have been able to sit down with some $24 a box target ammo with either of the other two rifles you mentioned and do the same mods that have been done to your rifle, and then you can start to really get a comparison between all three.
You could say that I am the opposite to you and find the Marlin tubed action, feels average to me compared to the cast machined action on the CZ's, nothing against you guys as your very happy with yours. :wink:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

from memory mate we all shot winchester subsonics haha that aint no fancy target ammo but its always pretty consistent. I will say the anchutz action was smoothest to me, but the marlin did me proud. I do wish i had a wooden stock to bed it into properly to get it sweet as.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Bet you $50 my cz sporter outshoots your marlin consistently over ten consecutive 5 shot groups!
Besides that the marlin mags rattle and the action is crap! I know this as I've reviewed two marlin rimfires!!
Mevo2230
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 9.3*62

Post by Mevo2230 »

I had a look at one of the Gucci marlin HMR's in the shop and I was not impressed with a $700 or so rifle with a rattly mag, give me a savage or CZ any day
badger74

Post by badger74 »

kjd wrote:Do they do a Toz 17hmr mate??
Don't think so,
Heres their weird russian website.

http://www.tulatoz.ru/en/toz78.html

So any of you guys got any experience with the winchester wildcat .22Lr?
badger74

Post by badger74 »

I dragged this post up from a while back becuase I finally picked up the TOZ. I posted this on the wildcat thread in "equipment", but thought I stick it here anyway.

I managed to get a quick sight-in of the TOZ 78-05 done down at Springvale 50m range last night.
Initial impressions were the action was a little gritty, but even after 20 rounds, had smoothed out quite a bit.
The magazines (all four of them :D ) are plastic, but seem reasonalbly robust. Interestingly they are all marked with a serial No., so Im assuming they are fitted to each rifle during manufacture. I guess this means any spares purchased down the track will require a little tweeking to get working properly.

I've mounted a cheap 6x scope, and did a quick bore sight at home. I was about 7 inches low and left, but got it sighted up within about 10 rounds. I was using cheap Federal bulk pack high velocity ammo.
Once it was hitting close to where I was aiming, I attempted a few 5 round groups.
I guess the worst was about 2 inches, the best about 1 inch. Not great, but that was using the range front rest bar (being banged around by a couple of bananas next to me), no rear bag, and without adjusting the trigger. Good enough for bunnies, but I know it can do a lot better.

I checked the barrel float, and it does touch at one point on the rhs half way down the stock. The stock itself looks pretty average, but useable. Nice target crown on the muzzle, and an easy to use safety. The trigger is set quite firm from the factory, but quite crisp, and is 3 way adjustable.
Overall im pretty happy with my $325 purchase. I think after adjusting the trigger down a little, relieving the stock where it touches the barrel, using a proper rest and some reasonable sub-sonic ammo, It should show some very nice groups.
I didn't get any picks last night, not that they were worth posting anyway, but after I get back from Thailand, I'll spend some quality time with the little TOZ, and see what it can do.
I'll post this in the Varminting rifles section aswell.
Cheers.