Just got a 17HMR

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Phoenix84

Just got a 17HMR

Post by Phoenix84 »

I just bought a Savage 93R17BTVS. Feels a great rifle, very nice trigger and stock... the only thing I wanted to change is if you can re-laminate over the brown with a black/grey (or other colours). Not essential (useless cosmetics, I know), but I'm interested anyway.
Has anyone done this, esp with a thumbhole? If anyone has and know of a place preferably in SE Qld / NE NSW that dose this and how thick the laminate is (just so I know I won't lose any clearance anywhere), details would be much appreciated.

Cheers - Trent
fenring

Re: Just got a 17HMR

Post by fenring »

They are a nice rifle - I have one too.

The laminating of the stock refers to the fact that it's a lot of layers of thin wood squeezed together like a sandwhich and all glued together. Not a laminate of something over the top of another sort of wood - so you can't really laminate a different colour over the top.

The easiest and quickest way to change the stock colour would simply be to buy a pepper laminate version of the same stock from Boyd's, who are the manufacturer of that stock and the very similar Ross thumbhole.

This guy sells them, a mate of mine got one from him for his Savage .22

http://www.dmfirearms.com/index.php?mai ... 1_10_13_15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You would likely want a finished stock so you can just drop your barrel and action in - he does unfinished ones as well but they do need a bit of work - been there, done that.
Phoenix84

Post by Phoenix84 »

Thanks mate, They look like decent stocks (I'll hide the pink, blue, etc from the mrs).

I have been way off on the laminate thing the whole time - I thought it referred to a poly-type of heat shrink wrap... but I did always wonder how they got it in the vents/holes without seams. :oops:

fenring wrote:They are a nice rifle - I have one too.

The laminating of the stock refers to the fact that it's a lot of layers of thin wood squeezed together like a sandwhich and all glued together. Not a laminate of something over the top of another sort of wood - so you can't really laminate a different colour over the top.

The easiest and quickest way to change the stock colour would simply be to buy a pepper laminate version of the same stock from Boyd's, who are the manufacturer of that stock and the very similar Ross thumbhole.

This guy sells them, a mate of mine got one from him for his Savage .22

http://www.dmfirearms.com/index.php?mai ... 1_10_13_15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You would likely want a finished stock so you can just drop your barrel and action in - he does unfinished ones as well but they do need a bit of work - been there, done that.
Sir Snipealot
Favourite Cartridge: .17 HMR

Post by Sir Snipealot »

Oh no fenring, what have you done!
I can see a new stock for my HMR coming up....
fenring

Post by fenring »

Here's a Boyd's Ross thumbhole in pepper laminate on my mate's Savage .22

Before:

After:

This was an unfinished, 90% inletted stock. Sanding and finishing was easy but it did need a fair bit of work on the inlet and ended up getting a bedding job.
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Nice :D Any hassles for your mate bringing in a rifle part, or did he just bring in a piece of plywood?
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

As far as I know Glen Stocks are not firearm parts. Even if it were you only need to get a B7109a for from the FAR I think!
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

Gee that is real sharp.
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Thanks KJD :D
fenring

Post by fenring »

He's done it twice now - it's just a piece of wood and customs will open the box but that's it.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

Huge improvement! Love the stock!! :D
Phoenix84

Post by Phoenix84 »

Stalker wrote:Huge improvement! Love the stock!! :D
Is that your .22 or do you have it on the 17HMR (in your sig)?
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Thanks Fenring, sounds like it is very straightforward