I did it Tikka Varmint

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
ruffy

I did it Tikka Varmint

Post by ruffy »

Well I bit the bullet a bought a new Stainless Tikka T3 varmint in 223 (my first varmint rifle) walked into Clayton's put the money down and 3 days later picked her up, all the paper work was done on site at the gun shop so a 3 day turn around wait was worth it, dumped a VX11 3x9 Loopy I had laying around on it and headed to the range, Federal 55's shot shit around the inch @ 100mtrs then tried some Winnies super X 55's and half a bloody inch straight out of the box, I'm rapted. I wasn't sure what to get as i had my doubt's about buying a Tikka due to the plastic stock but for the price ya can't go wrong, $1350 I paid, now down to start reloading she's a 1x12" twiist and I want to run projjies under 55gn, were do I start guys what do you reckon, been loading big bores for over 30yrs so I know how to, I'm targeting fox,cat,dog,rabbit, thanks for any help...cheers...
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: I did it Tikka Varmint

Post by kjd »

Congratulations mate!

Should be a mighty fine varmint rifle! Though I suspect that you will be wanting to put a scope with a higher magnification on it very shortly...

To me mate my go to varminting load in my 222 is 50gn Nosler shots with 23.5gns ADI BM2 Would probably make a good starting load for you. Check to see the max.

The SHOTS IMO are a great varminting round as they are cheap and the fragment well. I feel that spending big bucks on ballistic tips or Vmax is really a waste of money 90% of the time!!
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

Love my tikka varmint 223 but dont use as much since my Clancy Custom 204 arrived, Dad still prefers to shoot the tikka when I pick him up for a night out after red dogs. My load is 27.5 grn 2206h behind a 40 nosler. We found most bullet weights with 2206h accurate
ruffy

Post by ruffy »

righto thanks for the replies, ok I'm going to upgrade the scope with one that has a 50mm objective, what mounts and rings would be the go as the rings supplied are way to low and only just clear the scope I've got now, I priced the Sako optilocs bases and rings at $300 way too much any suggestions of what's out there which will fit, thanks
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Mate give Shane Clancy a call. He usually has some rings and bases that will fit. I don't know what brand they are but I've used them before on his advice and they worked just fine. When I got mine I think they were around the 70 buck mark.

Out of my Ruger VT, I'm using a load of 25.5gr AR2206H with a 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. That's a warm load in my rifle but it always shoots .5moa, and most the time I can halve that group size. I used to use 26gr 2206H with a 50gr Nosler which I found to be almost as accurate.
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »

:evil: 3 days is it all it took ur kidding right it took me 3 months to get my 22-250 and i already had a high power WA laws suck
matang
.204 Ruger

Post by matang »

I have a bushnel 5-15x50 on my tikka varmint which I find is good spotlighting between 8 -12 power and then can wind it out to 15 power for head shooting rabbits during day. They mount up real well you can use med rings and use a small piece of aluminum to use under scope on the rings packs it so the front objetive of scope wil clear the barrel by the thickness of 2 bits of paper. Makes it compact and gives good cheek weld. Price I htink is around the $500 mark. I think the bushnell compares well to a leopold. If you search through my posts you will find a pic of mine. (not sure how to add it to here)
matang
.204 Ruger

Post by matang »

Found my pic
tikka
tikka
seantheaussie

Post by seantheaussie »

The smart jack/foxie is going for the jugular. The overconfident one thinks that it is a pigdog who can just grab it by the scruff of the neck & snap the foxes spine.
Two typical jack/foxie traits :mrgreen:
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

Well done mate a fine choice of rifle, if it shoots half aswell as mine did you will love it.

If you get a Scope with a 30mm tube yell out as i have a brand new set of Burris Rings and bases here that i mounted a 50mm obj scope in no worries, they will be cheap to.
matang
.204 Ruger

Post by matang »

Seantheaussie,

Experience counts, the Jack going for throat has 8 years of destroying red dogs the other jack was only 6 months learning the game
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

I reckon those Tikka Varmints would have to be the best value for money rifle on the market. Maybe I would even say they are the best rifle on the market.
Hawkeye77
Favourite Cartridge: .243Win

Post by Hawkeye77 »

GO THE TIKKA VARMINTS!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Can't wait to get my .270, but have to wait for the Burris XTR... it with be worth it im sure :D

Hawk
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

Good job Mate.

You will love the .223.

A great round.
olly15

Post by olly15 »

good choice ruffy. last year i got a tikka super varmint in .223 for my first varmint rifle. super varmint i pretty muxh the same except for some little ajustable features and picatiny rails. they are awsome rifles!!