Rifle bolt storage question

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
fallingblock
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22lr

Rifle bolt storage question

Post by fallingblock »

do you disengage firing pin spring tension or just leave as is?

what's good or bad?

Leo
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Re: Rifle bolt storage question

Post by Mick »

I take the tension off. Been told by many a gunsmith that it improves spring life.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

I just open the bolts and leave then in the action when stored in the safe

means you take them with you when you go out for a shoot and dont leave the bolts in the safe or something

later
p
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

ogre6br wrote: means you take them with you when you go out for a shoot and dont leave the bolts in the safe or something

later
p

Iv'e done that before..... get to the property open the gun bag, pull out the rifle, then proceed to sware you bloody head off :twisted: :twisted:

then by the time you drive all the way back home its pointless going back

Cheers BB
blowemup
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x47

Post by blowemup »

I de-cock them & lock them in a second safe.
I also think that it will lengthen the life of the spring.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

As i put the rifle into the safe i just open the bold and then close it with my finger in the trigger - using a snapca would do the same thing. I figure this will lengthen the spring life a little and also leaving the bolds in eliminates the problem suggested above of leaving the bolt at home.
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

I just take mine out of the rifle and store them lightly oiled in a snaplock sandwich bag. And yes it does bite the dick when you've driven 250 kays and discover a smellie bolt doesnt fit into a CZ! :twisted:
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

I disengage the firing pin and store them seperately.I have also taken the wrong bolt once.Now I have a tradition of putting the bolt in and cycling a dummy round before I leave home.
Macca
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

A senior constable from weapons licencing here in Queensland told me that the bolt MUST BE OUT OF THE RIFLE WHILE IN THE SAFE, yet it's ok to have the bolt's sitting on the safe floor. Go figure! He is a friend and was giving me a heads up, also tells me we will all be audited in Qld eventually so be warned. Also told me police must make an appointment and can't just rock up to inspect your safe. If they do and it's not convenient apparently you have the right to arrange a more convenient time.
Hope this is of some help to all.
Regards Alpal
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I just take them out and lock them in the ammo compartment of my safe! I lightly oil them or they rust like a bitch!
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

alpal wrote:A senior constable from weapons licencing here in Queensland told me that the bolt MUST BE OUT OF THE RIFLE WHILE IN THE SAFE, yet it's ok to have the bolt's sitting on the safe floor. Go figure! He is a friend and was giving me a heads up, also tells me we will all be audited in Qld eventually so be warned. Also told me police must make an appointment and can't just rock up to inspect your safe. If they do and it's not convenient apparently you have the right to arrange a more convenient time.
Hope this is of some help to all.
Regards Alpal
my friends have been audited 2 and 3 times in the past 5 yrs,when the local came to personally deliver my rifle rego papers,i offered to him to inpect the safe.he declined,couldnt be bothered i spose.not bin audited yet :? 8)

i used to put the bolts - oiled in a cheap pencil case with the rifle brand in the letter pockets and stored them in the ammo locker in my safe.they only cost a buck or 2 from crazy clarks or whatever shop you have.
dont bother any more.
fallingblock
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22lr

Post by fallingblock »

alpal wrote:Also told me police must make an appointment and can't just rock up to inspect your safe.
I've had the local copper appear at lunch time unannounced for a firearms audit. Said me contact details weren't held. I was a bit sceptical though but he was nice enough about it and it didn't bother me too much.

Had me bolts in the guns un-cocked and in the safe. Was advised by the copper to remove the bolts to a seperately locked facility - not the reason for me enquiry as I'm more interested in the gun care aspect.

Leo