Wthby Special Varmint 22-250 review

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Wthby Special Varmint 22-250 review

Post by lowndsie »

I needed a work rifle for shooting roo’s so it had to be cheap, handy and still being accurate enough to head shoot roo’s out to 250metres. The options were really coming down to either the Ruger VT or the new Varmint Special. Already owning 2 ruger VT’s, I decided it would be good to have something different, so I ordered the weatherby in 22-250 cal. The Varmint Special is just the Redmist with a Tan stock. It has a 22inch heavy blued barrel, which I thought would be handy for spotlighting. The rifle uses the standard vanguard action.
When the rifle arrived, to say I was a little disappointed would be an understatement. The trigger was rather heavy and had a lot of creep in it. The bedding was very ordinary and was something that would demand attention before being used. Then the stock itself had a lot of movement in both the forend and the pistol grip. So well before the rifle got used it was sent off to Shane to get a work over.
A short time later the rifle came back to me with a much lighter trigger, a glass bedded action, a free floated barrel and fitted with trued mounts. I managed to fit a Leupold VX1 4-12 x 40 with one day to spare before going away. I brought several boxes of Highland premium ammo with the 55gr sierra blitz kings and the headed off to the range to sight them in. Without wanting to waste too much ammo, I sighted in using 3 shot groups. At 50m it did some .5moa groups, which I thought was quite good considering it was factory ammo. Having no time to reload for it, I made sure I had a few spare boxes of ammo before heading off.
When I arrived at the farm I made sure that it’s point of impact hadn’t changed and then went for a drive to see what was about. I didn’t have to go far before some crows were spotted at about 170metres. A steady shot saw some feathers fly up and as the others flew off there was one dead crow left. Upon closer inspection, the sierra blitz kings had done an excellent job and had just about emptied the inside of the crow. Deciding to check out a local rabbit warren saw the demise of several bunnies over the next few hours. All rabbits hit were a bit of a mess but one shot in particular separated a bunny into several pieces, which we could not find all of (check the bunny explosion comp thread for pictures :D ).
Deciding to get some work done on the roo’s, we used the Varmint Special to take 32 roo’s in one night with only 5 misses (probably shooter error :lol: ). Having a very successful night we decided to concentrate on the bunnies and crows for the remainder of the trip. I’m not sure how many bunnies the 22-250 accounted for but it was somewhere in the vicinity of 10 bunnies and 4 crows. Most shots were around the 150m mark as getting any closer seem very difficult with the surrounding terrain. The furthest shot was measured out at 237m on an unsuspecting bunny.
So after reading the above, some might say that I’m happy with my purchase…. But I can assure you that I am far from it. Sure it worked ok in the field and that can’t be argued with, but would I ever buy another one??? Nope. The plunger ejector sends the empties straight out the window or over your shoulder if your not careful. Something I do not desire in a spotlighting work rifle. The trigger is made rather poorly in my opinion and I will be looking at replacing it before it’s next use. The stock is too narrow at the forend and I see no way of fixing this without replacing the stock itself.
Although not everything is bad with this rifle, it shoots reasonably good groups and the barrel length is handy for solo spotlighting. It also comes at a price of $850 at time of purchase. So maybe I’m being too picky on a budget priced rifle??? Next time I’ll be forking out the extra $210 for a ruger VT that comes with free mounts.

kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Tis a shame your not happy with it mate its a nice looking rifle. But if its shooting well you may as well burn the barrel out of it!
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

I have a nice stock that would fit it real nice for sale.........just an option!
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

the trigger on my Howa is wonderful, I could have got an unusually good one, and your one could be particularly poor.

I like the action (safety is stiff on mine), those stocks are horrible tho
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Thought Id give a bit of an update.... Decided not to sell the special varmint and just to keep it as a backup roo rifle. I took it down to the range to try and group some 55gr Nosler Shots. I used a wide range of powder weights but found that they all shot close to the same point of impact and group size.

34gr 2208 = .5moa
34.5gr 2208 = .8moa
35gr 2208 = .8moa
35.5gr 2208 = .9moa
36gr 2208 = .5moa

Was interesting to note that the smallest groups were with both the mildest and the hottest loads. All groups were shot at the 100m line. Kinda stuck now between which load to use?? The hottest or the mildest. Given that it has a short tube, the hottest wld get the most out of it and also wear the tube quicker (which is not a bad thing). The trigger is still a little draggy which i'll be looking at a timney hopefully soon, and the stock is absolutley woeful. There's so much flex in the pistol grip that it takes all I have to try and shoot groups with it. Will end up using the action for something once the tube is past its use by date.
There are no signs of excess pressure on the 36gr load which is .5 grain under ADI max and right on Harveys max loading. According to ADI, the 55gr pill should be doing something around the 3600fps mark.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

I thought the stocks on these were B&C or HS prec or similar quality brand-- they look ok but seems that they are lacking in the working ok department

the stocks on these is one of the marketing points that the distributer uses to sell them- strange

later
P
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

butler creek stocks mate. The B&C's are on the fibreguards. Mite look at investing in a Bell stock shortly.
7mmmag

Post by 7mmmag »

Interesting observations. Looking at the pictures it is not a bad looking rifle and shoots well, but you would think that a Weatherby rifle would carry better equipment.
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

Hey Lownsie,
Might pay to test the 34 and 36 gr 2208 at 200 or even 300 for groups, maybe the faster one will justify itself, and obviously if not stick to the lighter (cheaper) load.
I have a Howa in.223 and while I couldn't agree with you more on the stock, my trigger adjusted up wonderfully, crisp and light.
An interesting observation on the positive extraction of cases, my Howa also throws them a long way clear, wich is a pain at the range but reassuring in the field re reload speed and no chance of a blockage
from fired cases, but as I haven't been spotlighting with it yet it never occured to me that it would be a pain in the ute, but now that you mention it , it will be, not just for dinged cases either.
Thanks for the heads up,
Regards Alpal
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Yeah thanx apal. Will try them at the further ranges for sure. I have a couple hundred tags here to be filled so I'll just load up the 36gr load first. But once I get some time I'll give both loads another go.

I was going to see if I could fill the stock pistol grip somehow but when I took the recoil pad off I found out that the hole cavity has already been filled with expanding foam!! Still thinking now whether its worth trying to improve the stock but more likely will end up buying a B&C stock. I also did some work on the trigger and got it down to 500grams let off without any detectable creep. Have loctited the screws so hopefully it will stay that way this time. :roll:
Mullet

Post by Mullet »

Try pushing a hot bit of 3/4" aluminium tube up into the pistol grip area from the butt.
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

Hi Lownsie,
Mullets idea with a hot bit of tubing or similar is a great idea, though 3/4" might be too big to burn through the skinny bit at the back of the pistol grip. You can then insert the long tube that comes with the can of expander foam and a couple squirts and your done. Make sure you tape around the stock at the recoil pad area really well as that stuff can be an arse to remove. Failing that you can just drill a small (1/4") in the bottom of the pistol grip and squeeze the guts out of a tube of silicon into it, if the silicon is paintable you can clean off any excess and
touch up, or even better you can get just about any colour you like in CAULKING COLOUR gap filler wich should do the job as it's interior/exterior graded. (yes I'm in the hardware game).
Let us know how you go,
Regards Alpal