Completed rifle project

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
prodj1000@hotmail.com

Completed rifle project

Post by prodj1000@hotmail.com »

finially i have to the time to post pictures of my newly completed sniper/competition rifle.
It originally was a ruger m77 mk2 with a sythetic stock 20 inch standart barrel in 22-250.
With a taco 6-24x50 scope on top.
Here is some before pics

prodj1000@hotmail.com

Re: Completed rifle project

And now for the finished product after much anticipation
the original action is the only thing that is still there but can hardly be called a ruger anymore, fully accurized, the base of the action has been machined, changed to a proper pillar bedded system, timmney trigger put in with the original safty still there, and set at 6 ounces, very crisp.
all in a Manners T2A stock, a lawton 26inch fluted barrel with a 1 in 8 twist chambered in 6mmbr.
On the action rests a grenfell tapered and bedded rail. Leupold quick release rings and the big
NightForce 8-32x56 NXS with spirt level attached
Also a sling rail was machined into the manners stock, using a harris bipod when sniping varmints at quiet conciderable distances :rifle:
At the moment i use a 107gr seirra HPBT with 30 grains of 2208 and working a treat

Hope you enjoy

Last edited by prodj1000@hotmail.com on Thu May 01, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

Very nice mate :!:

Can I ask who did the work for you?

Also great to see a custom rifle with out using a remington 700 action :wink:
prodj1000@hotmail.com

geoff grenfell of bendigo did the work, i was commited to using the ruger action as an experiment that paid off and because it had the in built magizine it had a better chance of feeding the short, sharp shoulde case
i had seen a couple of standard ruger target rifles fitted with the big barrels with shot incredibly, so i had some confidence, and new that they were a very tough action
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

Mate, beutiful looking rifle..... i have never seen 6mmbr cases before, (i take it those are the ones beside the rifle in the after shots) they look alot like 223-243 wssm...obviously they are not, but.. why are br cases made with such a steep shoulder???? please excuse my ignorance... just curious

Cheers BB :hunting:
prodj1000@hotmail.com

the best and easiest answer to that question is go to 6mmbr.com it is a brilliant site that talks about heaps of custom rifles and custom calibres. The Br case idea. it is sort of like the principal of the wsm and wssm cases with a slighly larger base and a longer necks, there is very little movement in the brass, so i get many reloads out of my lapua brass.
the case shares the same base in my loading press as the original 22-250 and 308
similiar thickness, just alot shorter.(definately no compensation using a case like this, that says somthing about those using a 50 cal or 408.)
you should see the size difference in the 50 cal and the 50BR
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

The 6BR is a great chambering.The accuracy is fantastic in most rifles i have seen.It looks a great set up and the bunnies had better beware.What comps are you going to use her in?
Macca
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

That's beautiful. I like that Manners Stock and aren't the NXS scopes just brilliant.
Well done and congrats.

Dave
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Very nice. Have heaps of fun and show us some pictures of the results
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Very nice result there prodj1000, some questions come to mind though. Why the seemingly excess bit of the picatinny/weaver rail hanging past the front of the action ? Are you tempted to get that bit trimmed off if you don't need to move the scope forward any further ?
Not a big deal just something that I've seen on another rifle (Omark project in last years April Guns+Game) that would bug me if it was mine....
prodj1000@hotmail.com

F-open most likely, what ever i can, just for a bit of fun, put up a challange to the other 6br in the club. and yeah, i will be getting rid of that exceedingly long rail, but how could anything anoy me when it shoots the way it does :D
sixmill
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by sixmill »

How was the base fitted?
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Hmmm sounds like a 6BR day needs to be organised. :lol:
prodj1000@hotmail.com

which base were you wanting to know more about. the scope rail base, the base of the action, the sling rail being fitted to the stock etc.
it hasn't stretched it's legs out past 600yrd at the club yet, havn't had any good weather on weekends i'v been free. so i'm still looking forward to that, waiting on another important piece of equipment( the rest ) before i can go nuts, at the moment i'v only done a little work when i first got it at the range on a ballistics chart, and have mainly been blowing foxes away. And waiting for my (1000) 105gr Amax to arrive. (the bastards wont like that) :hunting:
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Post by 17hmr »

very nice work!