Do any of you still have an old Remington 5mm Magnum?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
glenn asher

Do any of you still have an old Remington 5mm Magnum?

Post by glenn asher »

If so, you'll be happy to know that Centurion Arms (Aguila) is re-introducing ammunition for the formerly obsolete rifles. Here's a thread with the information.

http://www.varminter.com/forums/index.p ... opic=12334

It was the original .20 factory cartridge, now it's back with a better bullet and new powder, so it might be a better load. It should certainly be excellent for rabbits and "cat-sized" animals. :D
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

I'm sure I saw one advertised for sale just recently; if Aguilera is able to get the ammo into Oz it could be interesting, comparing the 17HMR, the 22WMR and the 5mm Remmy.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Several of the posters on that website are fans of the Five EmEm, and were involved in getting Aguila to re-introduce the ammo. At the heading of the rimfire section is a pretty detailed comparison of the .17, 5mm and .22 Magnums, along with pictures of same.

I see them quite often at gun shows here in town, I wondered who'd be dumb enough to buy one, with collector grade ammo at $1/round. Now, I'm the dummy who didn't buy one.........
Thompson/Center is bringing back barrels for the Contender, so there will be new rifles for the ammo, and Remington had made 50,000 rifles before they quit on the caliber, so the ammo DOES have a built-in, starving market, it'll sell very fast. I'm just glad SOMEONE saw the need and filled it. It was a VERY good cartridge, and it died too young.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Would it be easy to rebarrel a 22mag for this ammo???
woob614271
17Rem

Post by woob614271 »

I reckon I'll have a look at cow 9Carridges of the World0 to do a base size comparo, just for the h%$^ of it.
Rook

5mm remington

Post by Rook »

I brought one approx 6 months ago. At $75 and fairly tidy I couldn't leave it there plus it had 2 boxes of ammo with it I picked a couple of more boxes up at a gun show still haven't scoped or shot it yet.
The 5mm rem magnum pistol grip cap just looks to good though.
I was looking at buying all the bits to turn it into a 5mm Craig but theres not enough small game around here to justify it unless you want to shoot cane toads.
woob614271
17Rem

Post by woob614271 »

The 5mm RM rim dia is .325", the 22 WMR is .291", so I reckon a good 'smith 9hello Shane?) could open the bolt face out if necessary. Magazine feeding might be the problem...
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

This to me is really exciting if there becomes some major backing behind the new 5mm and more companies adopt it again I think that it could really be a great thing especially with the .204 fascination happening at the moment!
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Here is a pic I saved awhile ago, it gives you an idea of the difference between the 5mm and the "others".

I like it.

Glenn
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

thanks for the pic Glenn

going from the pic the 5mm is a bit wider in the case compared to the 22mag family isnt it

Dr G
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Pressures for the 5mm Mag are nearly TWICE what they are for a .22 magnum, so it's not a simple rebarrel of your old Xxxxxxxxxx rifle, it requires a stronger locking system, perhaps something like the new Savage M40 would fit the bill. I don't know if anyone will tool up for the "new" round, besides Thompson/Center, who made Contender barrels for years in 5mm.
I still applaud Centurion Arms/Aguila, though, for making ammo for those 50,000 Remington rifles and 30,000 T/C barrels out there already. It's a good round, too good for it to be dropped so stupidly.
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

you'd have thought (read: I think) anything chambered in 22Hornet would work fine.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Archfile wrote:you'd have thought (read: I think) anything chambered in 22Hornet would work fine.
aside from the fact that the 5mm rem mag is rimfire and not centrefire I guess yeah..
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Do any of you still have an old Remington 5mm Magnum?

Post by Knackers »

My LGS has a few boxes on the self. :wink: