New Quarter Bore Ruger 1-V

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

New Quarter Bore Ruger 1-V

Post by paz »

As most would know my PTA turned up this morning. Went and picked up my Ruger 1-V in 25-06 just after lunch and had to wait till this arvo so i could play with it :roll: .
First thing was to get rings fitted and scope sorted out, though when i went to fit bases i noticed a small lump that was no doubt left over from the casting process. Now initially i was going to lap the bases in though LGS owner said "take it home and see how they look", "normally i havnt had a problem" he said, so i jumped in the car and back to LGS and borrowed a brand new lapping kit :wink: , he's a pretty good bloke my LGS owner, not to mention the shop is all of about 3 blocks away from home AND it was 6pm.
Now when i got home and used the aligners out of the lapping kit im pretty glad i noticed the lump before hand, these things were out at lease .25mm. So after an hour of lapping i finally got it right.
Scope was next fitted and tightened down where i need it. Fitted a 8-32x40 Bushnell Elite 4200 that i purchased from TOZ, will be interesting to see what it is like in the field, back yard so far it is brilliant.
Finally i fitted new sling with the supplied QD's and she is ready to break in(yes i know bipod is back to front in this pic, was experimenting).
Will go out to my home made "range" on the weekend and see how it shoots out of the box with factory ammo, then reload some with the 75gr V-max's i picked up today and the 2209 i already use in my 300wm, let the fun begin :twisted: . I'm guessing i will need to bed the front and play with the trigger. All in good time though and shall keep all posted.

Paz
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

lovely looking rifle but scope is seriously too big for it. Sorry :cry:
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

As i was reading the post I also wondered if the balance would be impacted to much with the scope. Still if you are only shooting off a bipod you should be ok.

I am interested to hear how accurate the number 1 is. I bet you will have some fun testing it out Paz

Dr G
Herbs

Post by Herbs »

trevort wrote:lovely looking rifle but scope is seriously too big for it. Sorry :cry:
There's a rifle there? I only see a scope. :shock:
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Hey Paz,nice looking setup,wouldn't worry to much about the negative comments as you have a great scope on that rifle,I have on on a .22lr and I don't hear to many people pass coment when they see it.
Having said that they are physicaly a big scope,is your rifle going to be a walk about hunting type or a varmint rifle.

Regards Chris.
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Beautiful Paz!! I love those Ruger number 1's and want one in .204.
I like the scope too, it's a good model and you can always take the mirage tube off. Nice timber on there.
paz
.222 Remington

Post by paz »

All good ah :? .
This is a 1-V, not the heaviest of varmint barrels i have seen but the heaviest Ruger fit to their new number ones available from the factory (It will have a heavier barrel fitted when this one erodes out).
Now, being a varmint type rifle as most know i am not going to be walking around with it, this is purely for off the bipod, bench or spot lighting, just like all varmint rifles are intended to be used (though i must say it is quiet nice to hold offhand, being a number one it is shorter then most and i think balanced pretty well).
Now to the scope size, this took a fair bit of research, many a night was spent reading up on all different types of scopes. The final decision was actually made when i nice gentleman from AHN (thanks Saladin if you are a member here) let me in on a little secret about the number ones, due to no action the rings are therefore mounted on the barrel, thus meaning the scope must be of a reasonable tube length or have a really good eye relief. My preferred choice of scope came down to the elite 4200 range in the higher powers, now not forgetting i needed a long tube and reasonable eye relief i settled on either a 6-24x40 or a 8-32x40, well for another 30 or so bucks i grabbed the bigger scope, after all, this is intended to be a varmint/bench/spotlighting rifle :roll: . Once fitted I'm bloody glad i picked what i did, i have all of about 4mm from the rear scope ring to the turret and fits me damn perfectly, no need to "crawl" the stock. Oh, and as Dave.223 mentioned about the mirage tube, easily removed and reduces it by 100mm.
Hopefully this has explained a few reasons as to why this package has been put together as it has. I have done my research and built, i think, a pretty nice bit of kit. The real fun will start in about 5 years time when barrel is eroded enough for me to go really custom.

Paz
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

no worries Paz

I am sure you are going to have a lot of fun. Look forwards to hearing about your first hunt with it

Dr G
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

paz,
Hopefully this has explained a few reasons as to why this package has been put together as it has. I have done my research and built, i think, a pretty nice bit of kit.
Sod them all mate ..as long as your happy thats all that matters :wink:

And again welcome to another new member of the quarter bore club ... makes the 204 look like a kids toy you know :shock: :shock:

cheers
Rinso
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Rinso, some of us dont want to grow up!

Enjoy the rifle Paz. if it doesnt shoot as accurately as you want there are a few well known mods that can be done to turn No1s into tack drivers. There were quite a few of them in a real varminting calibre :lol: on the 204um, some shot well right away, others were worked but they shot well afterwards.

I get poo pooed because I have 24 power top scopes for spotlighting, almost impossible to pick up the target at top power but you can pick up a target on lower power and if its distant and staionery then you can wind up. You cant wind up a 12 power etc past 12 power!
paz
.222 Remington

Post by paz »

trevort wrote: I get poo pooed because I have 24 power top scopes for spotlighting, almost impossible to pick up the target at top power but you can pick up a target on lower power and if its distant and stationery then you can wind up. You cant wind up a 12 power etc past 12 power!
i have had a 6-24x40 on my 22-250 for about 15 years now, would love a dollar for every spot lighting trip it has been on and one for every trip it will go on in the future. Always have only ever set it on about 10x to 12x when spot lighting, also very good for when you go right through the night and you find a nice warren and sit off a few hundred and wind it up to 24x in the morning sunlight.

Paz
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Nice bit of kit there Paz, nice rifle those rugers, I almost got one whilst looking for a hornet, but it was in K hornet so I didnt bother. I think we've stirred the .25 nest a little, we need a quarter bore shoot-off methinks! :D
paz
.222 Remington

Post by paz »

Model70 wrote:we need a quarter bore shoot-off methinks! :D
Well lets have at it then :wink: , better set some ground rules, how bout best 100 yard group straight out of the box after broken in running factory ammo, then maybe best handload running whatever you like to start with, what ya think?

Paz
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Time and place man and Im there 8)
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Another nice .25/06 - a surge in popularity if I have ever seen one!!

How many members own a .25/06, must be a few here by now?