Savage 12vfss

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Savage 12vfss

Post by bimbo »

g'day
been lurking round here for a while, great site too.

I have just got my tax return and have had my PTA sitting here for a month and am thinking of getting a savage 12vfss. the rifle will be used for general hunting/varminting (just have to find some places to shoot on) as well as some target work. it will probably spend more time on the range than in the bush. going for a 223 rem. my only concern is the stock being flexable but thinking if it isn't much chop then i could order a boyds laminate stock as i have picked up a howa varminter and loved the stocks.

just wondering if anyone has had much experiance with this rifle? also savage is surposed to be introducing their 2007 models on the 1st of november and am wondering if anyone has heard what might be comming.

cheers
James
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Hey bimbo,

The Savage is a nice rifle. A friend of mine has built a LR BR rifle on a savage action and its very competitive.

I would look at the Remington XR 100 as well maybe do a comparision and see which comes out on top ... remember value for $$$$ counts.

I shot a 12BVS a few years ago and it was excellent maybe worth a look as well.

cheers

Rinso
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Why dont you just get a straight 12VLP rather than spend extra money on a Boyd's laminate? Hopefully my next one will be a 12VLP-S as I've got the barrel and action wrenches to swap barrels ... and want to avoid issues with magazine feed.

If you want something a bit different, Savage has a custom shop which allows you to "pick and match" combinations of stock items. Supposedly a few LRPVs in 22/250 with 1:9" barrels have been made and if Acacia will order one ... I'll get a 12VLP-S in 22/250 with fast twist barrel. I'm waiting until after Nov 1st to ring Acacia with my request after seeing what Savage releases.

Jewell has released a 4oz trigger for Savage's ... but at US$200 may be a bit steep.
Cheers...
Con
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

bimbo,
Just to add ... the Savage "rumours" include:
Most highly expected/anticipated are LRPVs in 308Win, just possibly 6mmBR and somewhat remotely possible in 6.5-284. One of teh last has been put together and raffled at a competition in the States! If the 308Win appears though I'm in :lol: !! There's been talk for awhile about Savage having a go at the bench/target market and the LRPV will more than likely be that spearhead.
There's also talk of a dedicated target rifle ... 30" barrel most likely in 308Win but maybe 6.5-284.
Fast-twisted 22/250's are a maybe.
Upgraded AccuTrigger adjustable to lighter weights.
The 14Classics will go left-hand.
The news should start trickling out over the next few weeks. :lol:
Cheers...
Con
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

sorry i forgot to add that as well as the stocks being flexible they are also very low for me - i found that the boyds stock which the cheek piece fitted nicely. they sell a similar stock on their 17hmr rifle i saw but not on the model 12.

think i will wait till the 1st and see what comes out and if anything floats my boat before i put in my order.

anyone know where in NSW has good prices on the model 12?

cheers
James
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

James,
I think the Savage laminates are a much better stock then the synthetics which I agree are pretty low and flexible. I've got an older 112 and its stock is definately not the best. Could always put an adjustable cheek-piece into a factory laminate? If you end up selling your synthetic stock however I'd be interested in it as I can probably use it on a Stevens200 that I also have in the safe.
When the new Savages come out I intend to ring Acacia and find out which gunstore does the most business with them. I figure they'll probably be the cheapest in the country and I'll order through them. When I last spoke with Acacia they reckon the next shipment will be arriving early January with the order made mid to late November.
Cheers...
Con
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

the prices i got for the laminate where about 100 bucks more than the synthetic and i would still hav to do something to it to make it higher. You can get a boyds laminated stock landed in the country for i think around the $150 mark (i like the black laminates over teh brown as well).

I am just itching to get this rifle too, can't wait till the 1st cause either way i will be ordering a rifle

Cheers
James
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

anyone seen one of these in their local gun shop. just rang most of the larger gun shops that advertise in some of the shooting mags i buy and no one has one in stock. also rang the importer before and they have noe in stock as well and it will be a while till they get more into the country.

so if you have seen one could you let me know

cheers
james
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

James,
Just be patient and see what turns up out of Savage. They have a distributors show next week I think, so news about the new models should start up after that.
I've never found a gunshop that stocks Savages on the shelf ... they just dont seem to sell well enough ... maybe ring Acacia again and ask where some 223Rem FVSS's have been sent too??
Cheers...
Con
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

well i ended up ringing just about every gun shop i could think of and noone had one in stock and teh importer didn't have any either so my PTA was running out so i ened up buying a stevens 200 in .223 as a package deal with a 3-9 nikko for $565 from HGPS. this gun should keep me going for a little while as a knock about bush gun. and with a 1-9 twist i will still be able to load heavier projectile which should make it a bit more adequate on pigs and goats.

the stock on it was very rough with the seam lines from the moulding very sharp. so i took it all apart and sanded down the stock and it looks pretty good now. when i get a chance i might give it a camo type paint job.

took it to the range yesterday for a quick sight in and to scratch that itchy trigger finger. got it close to the mark at 100m and had to go home but it is showing promise. i just need to get someone who can actually shoot to have a go at some groups to see what it can do. I am just keeping an eye out for a decent scope at the moment before i do too much shooting with it.

cheers
James
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

Bimbo: NOOOoo the rush to buy must be denied, the PTA could have
been extended, or you could have had a new one issued with next to
no hassle..

I was going to tell you, I have a Howa with the stock you are talking
about and indeed it is good, the stock is a real winner, the only compromise
they made was to make the fore end a little too rounded and it rotates a
little under recoil because of it (on a flat rest).. but a boyds one with a 1/2inch thicker fore end.. that would be good.

_Arch
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

don't worry the varmint rifle will still happen. i am looking for an upgrade scope which will go on the stevens for now and depending on what scope i end up with it will go on a varmint or onto a .270.

I am going to get my r lisence so i can go hunting in state forests here in NSW and i need a rifle suitable for medium game but since this is my first centre fire i didn't want to jump straight into a bigger call for fear of a flinch. so the stevens is kinda a halfway gun that will serve its purpose till i get a bigger call and the varmint.

Plus is was so darn cheap i couldn't pass up a bargin like that. i rang the 2 local shops and they both retail the bare rifle for around $650

cheers
James