.17 HMR case neck splits

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Nick S

.17 HMR case neck splits

Post by Nick S »

I've brought this up elsewhere and seen it mentioned a few times by others, so I thought it might be worth a new thread.

Has anyone experienced split case necks/ shoulders on fired .17 HMR cases?
My rifle is a savage (new model), and at first I thought it was either headspace or a machining mistake at the factory, but Acacia Imports assures me that the problem is ammo related. (they also claim the Savages have match chambers)
The problem does seem worst with Federal ammo(50%), CCI next (30%), and Remingtons are generally ok (5-10%), but it is still annoying when you are shooting groups as a split case usually results in a flier about an inch away from the group at 100m.
It is almost guaranteed to happen when you take a long shot at a cat, and that what really shits me about it :evil: .
I've got some Winchesters and Hornadys to try, hope they fix the problem.
If there is enough evidence of a problem with .17HMR ammo, we have a better chance of getting it fixed by the manufacturers. Don't we?
zzsstt

Post by zzsstt »

I've shot many boxes of ammo through my Anschutz. I've used Remington, Winchester, Hornady, CCI and Federal. I've never split a case. I have seen split cases in a gunshop, and as you say the maker blamed the ammo......... at the time it was thought that there was a bad batch of ammo manufactured.

I find it hard to believe that now, a year later, you have been unlucky enough to buy several brands of ammunition all from that "bad batch". But I guess you never know!
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

I've probably only bought ammo three times. Just stock up when I do.
But they are different brand, probably all made in the same factory.
I'd be interested to know if this happens with other rifle brands, or just savage?
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Nick you are not alone. I have a CZ varmit 17HMR and I have had necks split from Federal and Hornady. I have not made the accuracy corrolation with the split case's, but I will check in future. I know of several other blokes that have found the same split case's from their rifles too, one of them being a customised Ruger with match barrel.
I got told that it could be from a factionally over size chamber, but more likely from a poor batch of ammo, and was told not to really worry about it as the very small charge is unlikely to cause any damage to the chamber..
I also got told that as the dies/machines that make the ammo slowly ware, and that some ammo will slightly fail in some way. :wink:
sterls

Post by sterls »

My Marlin does the same with Federal ammo.
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

Have you tried other brands in it sterls?
Maybe the dud ammo mostly came to SE Qld?
sterls

Post by sterls »

Nick
I bought a brick of Federal and Hornady. I have had no case splits with the Hornady ammo. It was only a few Federal cases that split out of about twenty. The brick came from NIOA and I am fairly sure they they distribute Federal throughout Australia. I have not noticed any loss in accuracy with the split cases. I have found the ammo to be quite accurate in the heavy barrel and it is certainly effective.

I had the Marlin re barreled from a 22Mag. Initially we had some issues with cases not being picked up by the ejector. There was a small imperfection in the chamber which was easily addressed by the Smith. The Marlin action certainly is not attractive or smooth but it seems to work okay. The magazines can be modified to load up to 10 rounds. It also appears that these guns are prone to feeding problems however once again small modifications on the mag lip fixes that.
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

For my 2cents worth,having put approx 200 .17hmr(Hornady) rounds thru my mates CZ17 have never seen a split case in that particular rifle.
MY mate the CZ owner says he has put a brick and a half(Hornady) thru it before I got my 200 without any split cases just the odd feed hang up occasionally. so maybe there is the odd quality drop in production from batch to batch.
Something to keep an eye on,before they get too sloppy Ay!
fenring

Post by fenring »

Have tried a few brands and types in my Savage and not had any split cases.
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

my cz was splitting some.. they seemed to be shorter than some of the others.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

my nef sportster usually spits out quite a few split cases. I use federal vmax. The 20gr hornady xtp never split and I havent tried the hornady vmax. Also the federals, I usually sort through them as up to four a box had bullets seated with the necks crumbled, I dropped these down the bottom of an old unused well and heard the plop at the bottom. No way they will get used in any of my guns.

Might have to try a box of CCI to see if the brass is better, but Im hoping I will have enough to get me thru til the hornady come in.
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

All good info guys, thanks to everyone who's responded so far. :wink:
I have never paid much attention to the loaded rounds, so thanks BradY, I'll sort them from now on. (cci's didn't do too well for me tho)
Have to check the case lengths too, thanks Archfile.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day All,
buy some new stuff and try, it may be the manufaturer's have had problems with the brittleness of the formed cases. If the new stuff is ok, then that may be all it is.
Failing that it could be chamber related where the reamers used are not suited to the brass made. I'd expect that if this was the case it will be sorted probably by the ammo makers as this would seem to be the easiest way to correct a problem

Anyway, buy new ammo and try it, if it improves keep your old ammo for plinking or use it up hunting if the accuracy is still good.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps

Cheerio Ned
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

G'day Ned, I've had the odd split case for the last three years, I've fired over 2'000 rounds from my HMR, I think your right about the chambers and yes the ammo companys should do something about it.
OTOH, I'm not really worried as it shoots very well. :wink:
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

Can't wait to try the new batch of Hornadys I've got now :D .
Have to admit, if I didn't shoot paper so much I probably wouldn't have noticed, now it's just a good excuse for the occasional missed shot (couldn't have been my fault, bloody ammo :wink: ).
Cheers guys, feeling much better about it now.