.17 HMR case neck splits

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

when you measure them, look for a shorter base -> sholder length, thats where I saw the difference.
tikka
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: spud gun!!!

Post by tikka »

I seen alot of empty Split Remington 17HMR cases at the range this week.

Cheers

Geoff
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

I herd a romour, that there is only two factories making 17HMR ammo, and they just change the rim stamp and the colour of the plastic tip?
I find this a bit hard to believe, "But" its possible.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

winchester supreme gets a few splits, never bothered me.
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

A mate has the base model marlin and was telling me tonight that he gets a few split ones. He reckons he isnt to worried as the rabbits he shoots usually have split foreheads? so all seems about even.
GIJ
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by GIJ »

Haven't noticed any splits in my CZ Classic. Used Feds, CCI and Winchesters, all vmax. Off to buy a brick of CCI's today, they're marginally better than the rest.
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

As mentioned earlier I had not paid much attention to its efffect on accuracy but every now and then i have unexplained misses on rabbits, i will have to make a piont of checking if these coincide with a split neck.
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day all
Just put a deposit down on the savage stainless laminate ,but not the thumbhole stock , and was wondering what ammo should i use , i know i will a pack of 4/5 differant types to try , there must be some brands with more consistant results ,would help greatly
THANKS
Andree

I already have a pack of winchester supremes in 17GR v-max ,and a pack of federal v-shok in 17GR
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

Gudday HB, and congrats!
I'm looking forward to trying the hornadys, which sound like the best (but I haven't tried them yet).
Federal are mediocre, CCI not only split, but occasionally fail to extract (only ever that brand) and are shit for accuracy. Remingtons had been the best for me, but the last batch was not so good. I think it comes down to getting a good batch, then stock up.
I think Knackers got it right when he said there's only 2 factories making the stuff, just using a different coloured tip.
Let us know how you go.
Nick
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

I just remembered you were looking at the thumbhole, any particular reason you didn't go for it HB? Gunna keep the .22?
Nick
Little 17HMR

Post by Little 17HMR »

I had a few split cases in my Ruger 77/17. It seemed to be batch orientated. I also had a Remington pill get lodged in my barrel a few inches after the primer went off but the powder didn't take (see photo) Image

Didn't cause any damage, lucky I recognised it as a missfire and didn't send another one through. As luck would have it, I saw a hell of a lot of foxes and rabbits on the long walk home. Took a bit of force to knock out the pill from the muzzle end.

Cheers
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

bummer, lucky you were on the ball that could have bee pretty ugly
tikka
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: spud gun!!!

Post by tikka »

Little HMR

How did you get the pill out? a gunsmith or did you do it yourself?
Never come across that problem before.
Is it ok to use a cleaning rod to push that pill out mate?

Cheers

Geoff
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

HB I have half a pack of CCI and Hornady. The federal shot not much differnt at 50m so I bought a brick as it was cheapest in the short time I had to look ($190). If you tee up a Little river trip in 3 weekends from now you can try what i have got.
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day Nick s
was think of the thumbhole stock , but i shoot alot by my self , so it would be getting passed through fences , also shoot alot off a bipod and having it sit there in the dirt while waiting for a shot , think it would look pretty grappy after awhile ,plus i rang around a few gunshops around me and none could get them ,shortest wait would be around 6 weeks , bugger that !! ended up keeping the .22 , but got rid of the .300 wsm ,

G,day trevor
yeah hope to have it in the 3 week time frame ,waiting on permits and some pay (get paid monthly )will let you know soon as it is in my hands :D

On another note both the Federal and Winchester say the projectile is a V-MAX and both are 17 grn ,but look differant , will post a pis tomorrow is that normal ?
or is V-MAX just a common name ?

Andree