Opinions on 17Hmr

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Oz2africa
Favourite Cartridge: 7mmremmag

Opinions on 17Hmr

Post by Oz2africa »

Hi guys wanting something smaller than the 22-250 for plinking and rabbit,
Am wanting a little 17hmr.
Does anyone know if the mossberg 817 plinkster pistol grip is any good or is there something else I should look at?
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Opinions on 17Hmr

Post by The Raven »

I have no experience with the Plinksters but did notice it is very keenly priced.

If price isn't a limiting factor (within reason) take a look at the Savages. A member here has one and it is a very nice rifle, shoots great, and looks better than most similar rifles (IMHO).
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Had two over the years, Ruger and CZ, passed them both on as I found I was better off with a 17 centrefire, for range as well as accuracy.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

For plinking and rabbits I would go to a 22lr - much cheaper ammo, no need to routinely use solvent on the bore etc.

I have a Ruger .17hmr, and while a nice rifle if I walked into a gunshop today to buy a .17 caliber it would be a .17 Hornady Hornet. Very impressed with Bimbo's that I had a couple of shots out of up at Yass.

Marcus
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I have to agree with Mark, centerfire all the way. I had a 17HMR and it was great but the price of the ammo kept climbing and put it beyond economic consideration when i could load a Hornet for the same dollars. Then the 17/222 was only a few cents more so i cast off the Hornet as well. For ease of tuning i would say 17MachIV or 17/222 over the Hornet.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

Tony Z wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:56 pm I have to agree with Mark, centerfire all the way. I had a 17HMR and it was great but the price of the ammo kept climbing and put it beyond economic consideration when i could load a Hornet for the same dollars. Then the 17/222 was only a few cents more so i cast off the Hornet as well. For ease of tuning i would say 17MachIV or 17/222 over the Hornet.
My only thoughts are that heading towards some of the bigger 17cal cases you are getting closer and closer to the 22-250 territory.
I got my 17hornet to fill the gap between my 22lr and 223 and I think it does it wonderfully, a great small game round, much lower noise that the 223 which is great for a small block I shoot on close to town but still plenty of punch (comparatively), and better when shooting with the kids by my side as well.

I like centre fire as I can reload for it to make it cheaper as well as tailoring loads to suit my needs. I think the last box of hornady 17 hornet I bought was $40 for 25 rounds so not cheap but isn't going to break the bank if you are shooting only factories and not a great deal more expensive thank the rimfire equivalents.
If you want to have a shot of mine Jade just sing out and as I'm literally around the corner from you I have all the gear to load the 17 hornet if you went down that route
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Thinking about this some more....

You said plinking rabbits. So I'm going to suggest a 22LR. There's a reason everyone gets one: cheap, fun, and will kill bunnies no problem.

Bimbo comments are very logical. :shock:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I really enjoyed my 17 HMR
Accurate and relatively quiet but the price and quality of the ammunition was a real let down.I replaced it with a 22 Hornet and ultimately a 17 Mach 1V.
Suggest you buy a quality 22 lr and a
17 Hornady Hornet.
Russ_11

Post by Russ_11 »

I've got a CZ HMR and I have to say I love it.
Yeah the ammo can be a bit pricey and hard to get at times but it'd be the last rifle I ever got rid of.
Has served me well on rabbits, cats, hare, foxes and was quite devastating on cane toads.... I also don't reload so I don't have that side to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ_11

Post by Russ_11 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Croaky
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by Croaky »

I am very happy with my CZ 17HMR, I got this rifle so I could snipe rabbits
out a bit further than the 22LR when I am hunting in settled farmland where
noise is an issue. Also walking around after dark with a torch the 17HMR really
shines as a low noice fox destroyer, just check some of Fenrings posts 8)
At less than 50 cents a shot I think its good value, but you have to sort out
what ammo your rifle prefers then buy a few bricks with the same batch number.
Below is pic of my hummer, it wears a Leupold 4.5-14x50L
Cheers
Attachments
IMG_0231_1.JPG
IMG_0231_1.JPG (142.31 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

The Raven wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:05 am
Bimbo comments are very logical. :shock:
I know, I scared too. I just had a beer and a lay down incase I'm coming down with something
Croaky wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:40 pm I am very happy with my CZ 17HMR
Cheers
Thats a beaut little setup Croaky
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Post by billsshed »

What Bimbo said^^^^
The 17 just works for me. I have no need for a large CF and it reaches to the edge of a paddock without issues. As I do not like to throw away brass and reload it is cheap to run accurate and more than enough punch for my needs.

Billsshed
fenring

Post by fenring »

I've shot many, many foxes and rabbits with my Savage .17HMR. It is a fun vermin round out to about 150m. Shot placement on foxes is critical if you want to drop them on the spot. Brain shot, but shots through the heart kill them just fine too as you'd expect, occasionally you'll get one run a short way then go down.

I'd seriously look at a Ruger American Rimfire at the budget end of things.
Jmc
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by Jmc »

I'm to thinking about getting 17hmr for shooting foxes on a farm next to town but I'm keen on the .22 magnum as well.