Mossberg Thunder Ranch MVP Patrol 5.56

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Dunderi
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Mossberg Thunder Ranch MVP Patrol 5.56

Post by Dunderi »

So my DH is about to get his first ever rifle.

He'd gotten a really great deal on a Remington 223, with a scope and a bag and whatnot. But the shop had an oops moment and sold his (already paid for) Remington to someone else.

Soooo. They've offered him this one as a relacement. I know nothing about Mossberg , does anyone here have one of these? Are they good, bad? (Definitely ugly! lol)

He says he cant find a bad review, but I said I'd ask the fine knowledgeable folk here. He's giving them an answer tomorrow.

Cheers
Last edited by Dunderi on Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Re: Mossman Thunder Ranch MVP Patrol 5.56

Post by Dunderi »

The link is

http://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-pat ... nch-27794/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

First off, glad to see you drop in and remember us occasionally.
Second, the only abbreviation I know that is DH is not very flattering, so I hope you aren't calling your other half a dick head ? :?
Would tell the gunshop to get what was ordered and paid for, nothing else, unless he wanted to replace it with something that was up scale, IMO the Mossberg would be a long way down the list of preferred rifearms, even lower than a Remington.
Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Post by Dunderi »

DH is Dearest Husband :) sorry for that heh heh

Apparently they've not got another one, and can't get one without ordering from overseas and a lengthy wait.

They've told him the Mossberg is an upgrade (that it's dollar value is far higher than the other rifle) and that they're willing to kit it with a better scope (I don't have that info unfortunately)

And I do drop in I just tend to lurk mostly :p being a newbie

Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Re: Mossberg Thunder Ranch MVP Patrol 5.56

Post by Dunderi »

Just updated to the actual name, too. For whatever reason my phone keeps correcting to "mossman" and i have no idea why.

Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Post by Dunderi »

Ive told him he needs to look at something better. A swift, or something.

I just happen to like Remington which is why I was keen on him getting the 223

He wants to be able to pop roos. I'm of the opinion that a 22-250 is perfectly ok for that but he is concerned about comparitive ammo costs.

Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

I also would be insisting that the shop supply what was paid for. Call me a suspicious type, but sounds like someone in the shop agreed to a good deal that management didn't support, and now they are trying to get out of it. You are expected to accept that the Mossberg is a higher value rifle, and that the replacement scope will also be of a higher value.

If the shop is willing to supply a rifle and scope of greater value to replace the Remington you have already paid for (and that they subsequently sold to someone else), tell them to use that extra value towards sourcing what you paid for.

I have no idea what the Mossberg rifles are like. They might be excellent. I do know that (to quote a friend from another forum) Rem700s are like the small block Chev of the firearm world - there are almost limitless go-fast upgrade bits.

Marcus
Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Re: RE: Re: Mossberg Thunder Ranch MVP Patrol 5.56

Post by Dunderi »

Branxhunter wrote:I also would be insisting that the shop supply what was paid for. Call me a suspicious type, but sounds like someone in the shop agreed to a good deal that management didn't support, and now they are trying to get out of it. You are expected to accept that the Mossberg is a higher value rifle, and that the replacement scope will also be of a higher value.

If the shop is willing to supply a rifle and scope of greater value to replace the Remington you have already paid for (and that they subsequently sold to someone else), tell them to use that extra value towards sourcing what you paid for.

I have no idea what the Mossberg rifles are like. They might be excellent. I do know that (to quote a friend from another forum) Rem700s are like the small block Chev of the firearm world - there are almost limitless go-fast upgrade bits.

Marcus
Thankyou.

That's pretty much what i thought - I used to work for Harvey Norman...it's not an unheard of thing.

I'm thinking since they're claiming they cannot get one, that he gets it refunded and looks at another store, and if he can't find the Remington he wants then maybe look at a Ruger 223 (or some brand that's actually recognisable)

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Dunderi wrote:DH is Dearest Husband :) sorry for that heh heh

Apparently they've not got another one, and can't get one without ordering from overseas and a lengthy wait.

They've told him the Mossberg is an upgrade (that it's dollar value is far higher than the other rifle) and that they're willing to kit it with a better scope (I don't have that info unfortunately)

And I do drop in I just tend to lurk mostly :p being a newbie

They must be getting their information from somewhere else, Mossberg are cheap rifles, they are not up to the standard of a Remington, and I'm no Remington fan, they are having a go at you I reckon. check out some web sites for most gunshops and they should tell you the same, places like Cleavers, Rebel gun works, QGE, I would also caution taking their word that the scope is better quality than the one they offered to you in the first place. Really, with internet sales and stuff like that, it doesn't take much for you to by pass the locals if they aren't up to scratch. By overseas, I spose the mean, "the mainland" I can guarantee that the importers of Remington rifles will have what you thought you had sitting in their stock rooms. Very few retail gunshops import rifles in from overseas themselves, not the smaller ones anyway.

223 would be plenty for roos down your way, and for the not so gun mad average bloke like your "DH" would be ideal. Plenty of factory ammo and reasonably priced too if purchased in bulk.

Glad to hear you still drop in every now and then, Hows the bunny supply down your way lately ?

:D
Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Post by Dunderi »

Shaun is up at Mt Isa (works in the mine) so he's QLD all the way.

When he said the word "Mossberg" my reaction was "a what now?"

He needs something simple, plug and play, so he can get plenty of rounds in.

He's tried a few bigger rifles etc with his hunting buddies up there, I think he was just so flaming excited to get his first that he's willing to grasp at anything that goes bang.

:) I always feel a bit odd to post. Am still learning (hence the lurking, I read a lot, 3am net stalker) and it's a bit of a big boys club here :p

The bunnies are all gone. Nothing to see this side of the range at all. The mixo/calici or whatever funk they released absolutely nuked them.

There's been a LOT of hungry raptors, taking lambs, even targeting calves. Farmers are even getting in trouble for shooting at them, hawks through to eagles.

We have eagles here that look like they belong in middle earth. I make sure the kida are inside if they're about.

Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Post by Dunderi »

He's exasperating. He tells me this morning he thinks he'll just take it.

Boot down. I said no he can get a Remington from somewhere else if they can't produce one.
And he's looking at getting his ammo shipped from there, I said he needs to look at the local place a bit better.

Apparently one of his mates told him the mob in townville is good and doesn't like the local guy *rolls eyes* and Shaun's never even been in there.

Definitely too excited about getting his first boomstick.

matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

No way would I be buying a mossburg ahead of a remington. I doubt theres not plenty of 223 remingtons available in Aus. Theres also plenty of of rifles available in Aus better than mossberg.
I also believe that rifle brand preference is a bit like how you have your coffee or Alcohol . Everyone has there preference.
Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Post by Dunderi »

We just talked about other calibers and brands. He definitely wants a 223 as he's likely to put a million rounds through it at the range. We'll add a 308 or 243 to the safe a bit later.

(I like the coffee/grog analogy btw)

He's going to look at Tikka, citing accuracy.
I also suggested a Ruger, I've got a friend who's an older bloke who's had a ruger 223 forever and loves it.

Am just glad he's considering other options, not just taking what he's given when it wasnt what he wanted.

I don't want him to decide he hates it a week after he gets it!

New to 223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by New to 223 »

How could anyone hate a Tikka?
Super Varmint T3X.

204 Ruger with factory ammo.

I love pic Stitch
Attachments
IMG_2838.JPG