Tikka T3 feeding problem

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Varminter1974
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Tikka T3 feeding problem

Post by Varminter1974 »

My most-used and probably favourite rifle is my Tikka T3 .22-250 stainless steel heavy barrelled varminter bought new in November 2006. It has been used for hunting trips perhaps 6-10 times a year on average and has fired a good few hundred rounds. I have done some very good shooting with it and have been very happy with it, but...

sometimes it doesn't feed properly. It seems to try and pick up two rounds and chamber them at the same time. This might happen two out of every 40 times, but the times it does are usually when there are things there waiting to be shot - and they soon give up and leave in frustration at my swearing and associated antics. I have had a look at it while chambering a round and it looks like the round to be chambered is sitting quite low in the magazine when compared to the chamber - and yet more often than not it chambers properly. I have often made the mistake (?) of putting a loaded mag away in the ammo safe and I wonder whether this has stuffed the spring in the mag. Hard or soft closing of the bolt does not seem to make a difference either. Any ideas or suggestions? Do I need a need mag?
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Tikka T3 feeding problem

Post by The Raven »

I wouldn't worry about loaded magazines causing soft springs. If that was the case, there'd be a lot of dead clocks, engines, and rifles about...think about it.

Ask Sako 22-250 about it, he's obviously got a Sako rather than a T3 but they should be close enough. Can't recall him ever missing a shot due to a double feed....
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

New magazine.
Cheers...
Con
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

What Con said ^^^^^. Will fix the problem, and if you eventually find out what the issue is you will then have a spare.

Marcus
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Post by billsshed »

Agree with the magazine probably being the issue. It does not take much of a fault for it not to work properly. I have made several magazines for older rifles now and sometimes it is just a slight angle change of one component that makes a huge difference.

Good luck
Bill
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

My recollection is the magazine lips control the rising of cartridges and feeding, and they're plastic. I'll have a look tonight at my magazines, but I'll bet on wear on the lips of the magazine box. If that's the case, I'd put it to Beretta Australia the magazine is faulty whether in warranty period or not. The 223Rem boxes went steel lipped...
Cheers...
Con
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

If you need a new mag have a look at getting some bottom metal to accept AI mags. They're a much better setup and it doesn't work out that much more cost wise.

My 308 tikka mag is working fine so I've left it as is but I was having problems with the metal lipped 223 mag so I ended up getting an Atlaxworks DBM and MDT 10 shot mag for it. I'll pick up a 5 shot mag eventually but at the moment I'm pretty happy with the 10 shot one.

Biggest let down on the Tikkas is the mag.. If only they had addressed the issue on the T3X
Attachments
tikka.jpg
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Hi V74
I have a T3 varmint in 308 ( from memory it's the same mag as the 22-250 ) haven't had a problem with the feed
Hasn't had the use yours has though ...as its a single stack it's odd that it picks up 2 rounds
Shoot me a pm I am in Melbourne as well ..more than welcome to compare it with my mag
Cheers Mark
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
New to 223
.17 HMR

Post by New to 223 »

Don't lucky 13 do a replacement ?

I think Ozzie reviews has reviewed it, I could be wrong though.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

almost guaranteed your feed lips are wearing and a new mag will sort it.
sooty_10

Post by sooty_10 »

I know the sako A7 has metal feed lips on the mag. And they look damn similar to a tikka mag, maybe compatible? May be not too....

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Well most would know my reply and so I will not.
Varminter1974
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Post by Varminter1974 »

Thanks very much for the advice. I have thought that the magazine is the most likely culprit and something worth replacing, and the suggestion that at least I will have a spare mag is also a good one.

Does anyone know the best source of a new mag? It would be ideal to get one before the end of next week when it will be needed.

I took some photos of the mag and also of a round sitting in the top of the mag in the gun, showing its position to the chamber, but I get error messages telling me the file is too large for this email. Any advice on how I can share the images?

Thanks again fellas.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Cant help with the spare magazine, though you should be able to get a spare from any gun shop, they would have to get it from Beretta Aust, they are the importers.

Do you have a resize program in your computer, if you open your photo, then right click your mouse it should be in there, just click resize and either medium or large. :D
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Tikka T3 feeding problem

Post by trevort »

Cleavers had some on special

Listed in the 'found in the warehouse' section though pretty hot price so lucky if it's still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk