Rem V Savage, any advice?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
dave
7mm08 Rem

Rem V Savage, any advice?

Post by dave »

Well made the decision to look at downsizing the cabinet (will post at least one rifle here soon!) but in doing so i though id buy a new rifle which may not make sense but my theory is if i get rid of 2 i get a new one to ease the pain :)

So at this stage im looking at a Rem VSSFII or XR100 in .204 or a Savage LRPV in the same cal, the most expensive is the VSSF @ about 1800 and the others between 1600-1700 so far with the quotes i have.

Any suggestions on which way i should lean???
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

dave,

It's not an easy decision is it :D Whatever you decide don't do what I do.......I always end up doing too much homework on the choices I have and give myself the willy's :lol: that plus a lot of rifle tests in magazines never say anything bad about any of them...have you noticed that :?

Pretty hard to choose between them.....I am a Remo lover so for me I would pick the VSSF.... :D

What two are you selling ?

Good luck with it

KY
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Not going to help your decision much mate, but I have just bought a XR100 in .223. Haven't taken it to the range yet so have only a first impression. Really nice bit of gear and the first thing I noticed was that the scope/mounts setup lined up almost perfectly on my boresighter - only needed two clicks of elevation and 1 of windage to line it up perfectly. This means that the rifle must be pretty straight and the holes lined up well - the prospects look good.

I love the thumbhole laminated stock as well, and I don't think being a single shot is any drawback in a varminting rifle.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

well, I may not be right but I'll give you my opinion. Buy a Rem if you want to customise it, for out of the box accuracy I would without any doubt buy the LRPV
7mmmag

Post by 7mmmag »

I own both makes (Remington VSSF in 22-250 and Savage VLSF in 7mm rem mag) I love both rifles, they shoot very tight groups and i have had no trouble with either of them. The only fault i can think of with the VSSF is the safety, if you lighten the trigger right down, don't trust the safety.

Savage doesn't get a lot of coverage over here, but in America they are a very popular brand.

I would be happy with either rifle.

Cheers,

Andrew
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by Drew Jaeger »

The VSSF II has the schmick X-Mark Pro trigger. Crisp and breaks like a glass rod. My 204 shot sub 0.5" out of the box.

.... and head shoots fox with regularity.

dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Well from what i can gather so far, savage rifles are not the easiest to get hold of and i could be looking at a long wait for one so there goes that idea, and an xr-100 in .204 is proving not real easy to track down either of course but ones in 223 ar not so hard! So its either a VSSF at this stage or am i better looking at this brand ive heard a little about that ppl go on and on a about....ticka or tikka something a rather :) would a varmint T3 be in the same category even though there is quite a significant difference in price???

The rifles i will be getting rid of eventually is a howa/hogue 7mm wsm and the winnie mod70 i did a road test of 55grs with, theres a picture there if you would like to look at it!
flyer

Post by flyer »

If you can wait, I'd go the XR-100. I'm really happy with mine in .204 and it consistently shoots in the .1s and .2s. Its also well made, great straight out of the box.

Good luck with your decision.
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

trevort wrote:well, I may not be right but I'll give you my opinion. Buy a Rem if you want to customise it, for out of the box accuracy I would without any doubt buy the LRPV
I'm with trevort, but the XR-100 would give the best resale methinks (if that's an issue).
As for availability, I think you'll be right with the savage; Quite a few dealers stocking them up here, and Acacia (the importer) keep a few as well.
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

The rem700 looks really nice, but I'd buy the savage.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

For a heavy varmit rifle the XR 100 gets my vote

cheers
Rinso