Rimfire accuracy.

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Con
.308 Winchester

Rimfire accuracy.

Post by Con »

Open ended question.

Define in your expectations, 'fantastic' accuracy at 50yards from a hunting orientated rimfire.

I'll go 10mm for 5 shot groups. :mrgreen:
Cheers...
Con
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Re: Rimfire accuracy.

Post by billsshed »

Yep 10mm at 50m sound OK. On good days my little bruno Mod 2 will do better as long as I do the Biz but it shoot better than I do.

Bill
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Is this 'fantastic' grouping at the range or in the field?

I'd consider a 5c coin covering all holes would be 'fantastic' (19.41mm diameter). Of course, in the field you're measuring single shots... :wink:
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

I have a bad feeling I'm ultimately setting up an expectation for a 'semi custom' build. Yes, 10mm or less off the bench, to be replicated in the field when all goes well on that one shot.
Cheers...
Con
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I don't think you need a custom build for that.

My Winchester Wildcat will do that IF/WHEN I do my bit...and there would be better rifles on the market that wouldn't need any modifications.

I suspect the Lithgow Crossover would do that with the right scope/ammo.
Greysa
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by Greysa »

My cz 452 .22 will do that on occasion, although mostly it is an inch at 50m. I struggle to find ammo that it likes. I know its not me causing it either. The best I have found is 42 grain bushmans, it seems to like the heavier ammo.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Minute of rabbit head at 40 yards is plenty for me, I aim for the eye ball, and 9 out of 10 hit it, any that miss the eyeball knock em for six as well. 10mm is plenty. :D
Greysa wrote:My cz 452 .22 will do that on occasion, although mostly it is an inch at 50m. I struggle to find ammo that it likes. I know its not me causing it either. The best I have found is 42 grain bushmans, it seems to like the heavier ammo.
Tried Winchester 555 bulk ammo yet, plenty good enough for shooting rabbits. Winchester powerpoint in the old 40gn load shoot a bit better in my CZ but the extra cost isn't worth it for the small return I was getting in increased accuracy, and they still had the odd flyer. :D
Greysa
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by Greysa »

I will try that, cheers Camel. It is as you say, the group is usually pretty good then I get a flyer, shooting 5 shot groups.
Tezza
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Tezza »

Camel wrote:Minute of rabbit head at 40 yards is plenty for me
That's all I care about. The CZ is definitely capable of much better accuracy than that......me not so much
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Camel,
There's a new bulk Winshitter load out, 8c a pop. On the Elks website.

I want to hit rabbit heads at 100m with good ammo. Sako varmint I had could with 2 ammo brands. :mrgreen: Harder are the starlings and mynas. :lol:
Cheers...
Con
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Con wrote:Open ended question.

Define in your expectations, 'fantastic' accuracy at 50yards from a hunting orientated rimfire.

I'll go 10mm for 5 shot groups. :mrgreen:
Cheers...
Con
I'd agree for a hunting orientated rimfire and say 10mm groups is fantastic, if it does it consistently with "cheaper" ammo (a flyer every now and then is to be expected). Say CCI standard or 555s or the like, and without modification to the rifle.

IMHO regular 10mm groups is pretty exceptional....... considering I reckon a hunting orientated rifle means light enough to carry, meaning a standard sporter stock, and a reasonably light barrel, and a 2lb trigger.

Of course, bedding and floating and trigger work can improve many rifles ...... hunting or target, and may be all it needs with some to take them into the 10mm groups. Fitting a tuner goes further again.

But then, having read many of your posts over the years, I strongly suspect you know all this already........ :D
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Yes, I'm convincing myself to launch into an experiment. :mrgreen: I've got Aussie Steve thinking a barrel blocked Norinco for shit and giggles experiments. I'm more thinking 3 lug Crossover, experiment for accuracy, then shunt the barrel for a full blown target chamber, and ultimately a Maddco in lighter profile with a tuner. :lol:

After the NFA review, it may be all we can justify. :evil:
Cheers...
Con
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Con wrote:Camel,
There's a new bulk Winshitter load out, 8c a pop. On the Elks website.

I want to hit rabbit heads at 100m with good ammo. Sako varmint I had could with 2 ammo brands. :mrgreen: Harder are the starlings and mynas. :lol:
Cheers...
Con
Thanks mate, Ill have a look later on, cant see myself needing any for a while with the lack of rabbits and I still have a carton and half of 555 in the gun room. :wink:
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Camel wrote: I still have a carton and half of 555 in the gun room. :wink:
So with 50 to a box, 500 to a brick, how many are in a carton :?:
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Waldo wrote:
Camel wrote: I still have a carton and half of 555 in the gun room. :wink:
So with 50 to a box, 500 to a brick, how many are in a carton :?:
Pay attention ... 555. He has 832 rounds left, carton and a half of 555s. :mrgreen:
Cheers...
Con