Weatherby MkV Accumark in .257Wby

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Benster84
Favourite Cartridge: .257Wby

Weatherby MkV Accumark in .257Wby

Post by Benster84 »

Hi Guys,

No this is not an episode of My Kitchen Rules but yes I did take these photos of my new rifle in my kitchen :rofl: After a long wait with QLD Weapons Licensing (they deleted my PTA cheers :jack: ), I finally have my latest purchase from Abelas Sydney (Keith). A Weatherby MkV Accumark in .257Wby. I have been waiting a fair while to get this rifle and finally I have it in my safe. I plan on using it locally small game through to deer and in NZ June 2015 and maybe New Caledonia in 2016. I also knocked out a few reloads last night to try at the range possibly on the weekend and then in the field the weekend after :boogie:

Reloads are 75gr Vmax, 75gr Sierra HP, 85gr Nosler BT, 90gr Sierra Gameking, 100gr Barnes TTSX, 100gr Speer BTSP & 115gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertip. Powders used were 2209 & Re-22. Results to follow depending on weather this weekend!

The book reckons the 2209 and 75gr projjie combo will get me around 3900FPS = reality is probably a bit lower but she'll still be humming on the underground mutton!

(also posted on AHN)

dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Re: Weatherby MkV Accumark in .257Wby

Post by dashooter »

Looking good Benster.
I have loads done up with 75gn Vmax and 80 gn TTSX that shoot almost to same POI. Not enough for a larger animal to notice if I stumble across one while out busting rabbits and foxes.
For dedicated larger animal hunts I've got some 100gb TTSX's loaded.
Mines only a 24 inch barrel but the speeds are still pretty good for the smaller weight proj's.
70gns of 2209 behind both the 75 and 80 gn proj's gets about 3700 and 3620 fps lrespectively.
64gns of 2209 behind the 100gn TTSX (hasn't been crony'd yet) but is good enough to punch through 2 fallow does side by side and still keep going. First one dropped like a sack of the proverbial and the second made about 1.5 meters before keeling over.
Rabbits at 500 yards will be in serious trouble with the 75gn Vmax load.
Rob
Benster84

Post by Benster84 »

Cheers Rob! I did a fair bit of load development with my old .25/06 and took everything from rabbits to deer so I figured the .257wby will be that much better 8) The 26inch pipe may get me some more FPS but the animals won't notice the difference hehe.

The GF hit me up about heading to Victoria later in the year to some private property I have access to. To bust some bunnies & foxes with her .223 and my .257 :twisted: Should be good with those said 75gr Vmax's
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

mine has a 26inch barrel and gets the published velocity with 85gn NBT and max adi load (67gns from memory) of 2209.

I best kill something with it!
Benster84

Post by Benster84 »

trevort wrote:mine has a 26inch barrel and gets the published velocity with 85gn NBT and max adi load (67gns from memory) of 2209.

I best kill something with it!
Oh that's good to know. Sometimes the book and reality are two different things! Yes Yes you better go make some paddock pizzas :lol: