Next semi custom feral basher.

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Next semi custom feral basher.

Post by Brad Y »

Righto, I have my 6BR no turn varmint reamer to suit 55-70gr bullets. Next option is the barrel. Being primarily an out of the ute shooter, I want a short barrel 24 inches will be the length so as to keep the velocity respectable but still not go crazy long. I like my guns heavy and this one will be no exception. Looking at a maddco stainless in either straight profile or 1 1/4 (goes down to 1.150 at the muzzle. Anyone running anything similar to this for a varmint gun and got any other suggestions? It will be mated up to a rem 700 action. I know its a fairly heavy barrel for that action but we shoot 30 inch HV profiles off them fine so Im sure a short fat tube wont be too much problem.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Next semi custom feral basher.

Post by Ol 55 »

I have a big fat maddco in 6mm SLR I will do some measurements and get back to you.
Ol 55

BTW it is Fu ing heavy.

Just measured and 24'' barrel, dia at the muzzle is 1.010'' tapered to about 1.080''.
It is on a Stiller Tac 30 action

It is a bit heavy but sits well in a rest.
Hopes this helps.
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

Had a no turn 6br on rem 700 action barrel was mab finished at 24" and muzzle diameter of 21mm in a choate tactical stock thing was a beast shooting 58gr vmax into stupid tiny groups longest shot on a fox under light was a stepped 328 paces regretting everyday that I sold it.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

I know you've said you like 'em heavy, but I honestly would prefer lug my 358-300 around in the cab, than the profile barrel you've described, as a spotlighting ute gun, I don't think you can go wrong with a Light Varmint profile, hate the heavier barrels unless they are pretty short out of a ute personally, just my opinion, of course it's worth what you paid for it :lol:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yeah its a personal thing I guess. The heavy barrel thing is more of an urge to keep the scope on target as the shot is fired. I really like to watch the hits in the scope. A 21 inch 6 dasher with 55gr bullets and 35gr of BM2 in a HV profile barrel is just ok for spotting hits. But 87gr vmax and 33gr of 2208 is too wild. Great for long range though! The straight BR will have less recoil but honestly I prefer the heavier rifle just to be sure and to have more area for a rechamber as well.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

fairy nuff mate, got it all sorted then :D Understand what you mean about the recoil in regards to watching the hit, my 223 won't let me see a hit, but it's got a pencil barrel.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yeh dont care for fairy barrels. Saying that there is limited opportunity to stalk anything bigger than a bunny here anyway. A varmint barrel 17hmr isnt what you would call heavy.
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

been watching your thread brad,ive had to many 6 br spotlighting guns to remember and like you i have a reasonable f class background,we tend to get this super heavy barrel thing stuck in our head but no matter how we paint it they are a pain in the ass and no more accurate than a barrel thats say parallel for 4 inches then straight taper too say 650 or there abouts at the muzzle , for spotlighting and general crow shooting with a 6 br 23 to 24 is perfect as long as the gun is balanced out the window , when they get front heavy i dont think you shoot well with them unless the forend is fairly long but then all that does is allow you to get the weight of the barrel over the rest better but still a pain in the ass :D
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

What Mistit said!!

I had a barrel reprofiled for the exact reason Mistit stated!

Number 6 or 7 is perfect!

Barrel length dose not worry me moving around the car but weight makes it very unpleasant!

Glenn
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Mark

Ive actually gone from the heavy straight profile barrel back to the HV profile for my f class guns. I have a dud krieger sitting in the back of the safe that is a straight profile and a mate that has been doing it longer said to go back to something lighter to get it whipping to show the accuracy nodes better. Its worked very well and have no plans to go back heavier for F class. With varmint barrels I have no issue going heavier purely because they are shorter. A few people have suggested the HV profile is all thats needed and honestly I have no issue with that profile at all. Which one did you put on your barnard actioned swift?
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

Brad on the barnard /swift i put a maddco multi purpose profile , parallel for 3 or 4 inches and about 700 at 25 inches ,but i had it flutted because i new the weight would be a problem ,it balances with the nightforce on it just in front of the front action screw, and ill weigh it tomorrow but its not real heavy ,the other thing is when i shoot out a window i pull the gun in tight so i never had a problem with a 6 br or smaller seeing the impact ,i remember the old man saying 35 years ago if you can follow through with the shot and watch the hit you no your shooting well ,he was using a 22.250 but still the same principle applies to a 6 br :D
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Follow through is a huge thing for sure, amazing how well you notice it in F class on ET's. Throw the head up quick to look for the shot placement on the monitor and you often have problems. Will chuck the 308 in tomorrow morning and see where the gun balances up with the HV profile, Only using a weaver varmint 24 power to balance it out.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Ok so the 308 HV at 26 inches has the rifle balancing just in front of the recoil lug. About perfect I reckon. The little 21 inch stubby dasher barrel balances further under the action and it flips like a little biatch when shooting out of the ute on the big iron. Just got to ring Nev and get the barrel done up and sent over. Looking forward to it.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Why not whack a brake on it? Seriously. I know the recoil doesn't knock your teeth out, but it will make it easier to spot your hits. I used a muzzle brake on a big cased 22 centre fire I used to use and have used a brake on a 6 Dasher. A brake makes it seem like a 17 Rem to spot your hits.

With electronic ear muffs, the noise isn't an issue.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yeah I might look at it Rod. The only real issue is our farms are small and the ever spreading amount of rich city pricks and their hobby farms in this area means more noise is less welcome. No offence to anyone who is financially well off, lives in a city and has a country hobby farm of course.