Has anyone added weight to a T3 lite stock

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Has anyone added weight to a T3 lite stock

Post by sometime shooter »

Hi all since the wife has put the ki bosh on acquiring a heavy barrel 308 for target shooting and I have to use the current t3 lite for a bit longer has anyone added extra weight to a t3 lite stock and what did you use and where did you add the weight ???? Bit of a novice when it comes to these sort of things.
Puddles
Favourite Cartridge: 17hmr

Re: Has anyone added weight to a T3 lite stock

Post by Puddles »

You can now get Boyds stocks for T3's, I put a boyds on my axis and it was the best thing I ever did getting rid of the plastic POS stock. Probably cost you 150 delivered.

Puddles
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

I have used sellys knead it and lead sinkers, use plasticine to get an idea of weight placement.
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

Right as much as I would love a boyds stock the missus is being a tight arse at the moment so adding weight to the existing stock is the next option. Thanks Mick, how much weight did you put in to it. ???
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

I used stick solder inside my hogue stock. It cuts easily to whatever size you need.

And Mick has the right idea with the plasticene when experimenting, although I used bluetack.

cheers, curan
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Umm not sure exactly, just pulled the recoil pad off and the action out of the stock and played until it felt "right".
zook60
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by zook60 »

Rice worked well in mine.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

I have not done it personally but have seen a few blokes epoxy lead shot in cut outs in the fore ends of their shot guns.... Might work with a rifle too.

Flip
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

mate can i just say, dont bother.

The weight of the rifle reduces felt recoil but the design of the stock determines tracking in bags and repeatability for target shooting
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

The problem isn't recoil or benchrest type shooting it's all offhand shooting. Lites are light for hunting but harder to shoot well off hand then one a heavier one from my experience that is.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

no worries, all I know about off hand shooting is how bad I am at it!
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

Trevort that is why I took up shooting Metallic Shilouette I used to shoot Field rifle in QLD as I didn't get out hunting much but found out my off hand scores were woefull compared to the other positions. So I took up MS and made a big difference now that I can shoot the centerfire match as well which starts at 200 and ends at 500, so somewhat a challange. I have a t3 lite in 6.5x55 which shoots really well for a lite rifle but shooting it off hand it's a little light to compete. When I say it shoots well 120 taipan HP's shoot MOA at 400 :shock:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

I wouldn't mess with it then!
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

The T3 is a 'modular' rifle in a sense, that includes the stock. I just had a 35Whelen built for Big Game Rifle Club competition. Took a T3 Varmint and converted to 35Whelen.

You could consider buying the forend and stock accessories that convert the Lite stock to Varmint configuration. The wider front end is handy for hanging onto, the cheekpiece gives good support.

The stock itself has plenty of hollows, enough for epoxy with lead shot in it to be added with ease. For competition I prefer some weight upfront to iron out the wobbles. Play with stick on weights (as used on golf clubs) until you get the right weight and feel, then use the epoxy laced with shot to do it permanently.
Cheers...
Con
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Con wrote:..... For competition I prefer some weight upfront to iron out the wobbles. Play with stick on weights (as used on golf clubs) until you get the right weight and feel, then use the epoxy laced with shot to do it permanently......(snip)....
Totally agree with the weight up front. That's where 100gm of the stick solder went (in pieces). The remaining 350 odd grams went in the butt. That was the configuration that worked for me, but it all depends on the weight of your barrel and how you like your balance.

regards, curan.