Rem783 vs MarlinX7VH vs Axis?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
TexNAss
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Rem783 vs MarlinX7VH vs Axis?

Post by TexNAss »

Whilst wasting an hour on Saturday morning I dropped into a gun shop with the intention of laying a deposit down on a used 222/22-250, or an Axis if the used stuff was crap.

"The" 222 was definitely not in "good" condition- the couple of 22-250 all had bad tonsils (as I had expected)... Fine- so I looked at the Axis.

Not available in the 222. They are waiting for one in 22/250 stainless- only the 223stainless in stock. Just my luck.

What I didn't like- that stock is dreadful- lack of top loading/ejection port only, magazine concerns with the latch/retention system. Both rifles are stainless @ $750(!!) it pushes them outside of what I wanted to spend. Especially when I add a better stock- it isn't a $900 rifle. Hell- I could fly to Brisbane- collect a blued Axis and fly back for that money.

As I whined- it was too much for too little, poverty, kids to feed, wife would kill me, blah blah... He mentioned they had a Marlin X7VH with a heavier barrel that has a much better trigger and marginally better plastic stock around $720 bare in 223/22-250/308 or the new "cheapie" Remington 783 in stock in 223/22-250/243/270 for $670 bare. At this point- every damn shooter within a hundred miles turned up. Waited about 20 minutes eventually I walked out as things were just too busy- without eyeballing either the 783 or the Marlin.

The main attractions to the Axis was the 'easy to DIY' barrel swap to a 204/222/223 if I went the 223 path OR it would ease the pain when the 22-250 does its regular throat destruction trick.

Spent some time reading about the Marlin X7VH and the Remington 783 last night. Once you ignore the "buy the 700/Howa/Tikka/Sako" comments- both look great for the money. I think the 783 reviews betters- but who knows who's paying who.

So it looks like the 222caliber is dead and if I am buying new dies I reckon the 22-250 is the go instead of the 223. Although barrels life is a concern but caliber wise- I am not really sold on one-over-the-other.

Anybody got an option on which one is better between the X7VH/783 and why?
Or,
Should I stick with my original idea of the Savage and get one the next time I in Townsville (as one of the lads this afternoon said they are available some back street store in Townsville for $600 in the blued)?

Tex
zook60
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Re: Rem783 vs MarlinX7VH vs Axis?

Post by zook60 »

What about cleavers they were doing the axis for under $500 in the bargains section. I would wait it out that dealer seams too dear. I have owned the marlin in 243 and 3006 I think they wet good budget rifles but I think they were about $500 at the time. The pricing you are talking about you could go to a bigger store and step up to a better rifle.

Out if the rifles you listed I would take a risk and try out the new Remington 783
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

I must admit that I haven't done extensive research on these three, however from what little I have read the marlin sounds like it would be my pick.

Marcus
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

About the same as branxhunter, havent really taken much notice of them. But from memory nick Harvey really rated the marlin xl7 in 30/06, he tested a few years ago, so that is probably where I would start looking.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

without wanting to sound rude,

no ...wait, I cant say anything without sounding rude
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Post by crackers17 »

http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=35470

What about this $500 can always get a new stock....
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Is that the marlin with a barrel nut like a savage? If so I think they are the same thread etc so rebarreling might be okay. A bit of googling should find out if it is.
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

I have a marlin im 30/06. More than happy with it for the price. Accurate and in my opinion the best shaped plastic stock out of any I have looked at. Trigger nice and crisp.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I have a XS7 and the X7VH is just a heavy barreled version. The Marlin X7 series does use the barrel nut.

I've found mine to be ideal for it's price point. However, others have commented on various quality issues from the new Marlin/Remington factory. I've had the chance to compare XS7s from pre and post relocation and found most of the difference cosmetic and in finishes (more coatings, less bluing).

If you get the Marlin go over all the screws/fittings etc. The factory scope rail worked loose real quick, and the trigger needs to be adjusted down from a lawyer proof setting.

As for the Remington 783, I've commented on it before. To me, without having held one, it's looks to be just a re-badged version of the Marlin with a different stock. If you have the chance to handle the Marlin or the Remington I'd be interested to hear some first hand opinions.

I don't know about the Axis but I hear it does well.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Just found a handy review that covers these: http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_bolt ... rifles.htm

Gee, he savaged the Savage... I don't think he likes plastic much.
Puddles
Favourite Cartridge: 17hmr

Post by Puddles »

I have an axis in .22-250, for the price it shoots fine for me. The plastic stock is rubbish, the best thing I did was replace it with a Boyds.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Puddles wrote:I have an axis in .22-250, for the price it shoots fine for me. The plastic stock is rubbish, the best thing I did was replace it with a Boyds.
The Marlin stock is no beauty either. It has some flex but is better than some others I've seen. Still contemplating a Boyds for it....
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

If those are the rems with the pinned barrels- dont even bother. Especially in 22-250. Once the barrel is gone you throw the gun away and buy a new one.

Buy a howa barrelled action and get the cheap hogue overmold plastic stock.
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

If your quick enough there is a varmint fluted howa just went on used guns listed as very good in 223 for 585 and would be a better option to either the savage axis or marlin :D
TexNAss
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by TexNAss »

Just say it Trevort- for gods sake- I promise not to cry.

Now you got me wondering what you didn't say- are you a closet Rem783 owner? Buy one of each? Screw Rem'lins? Sell the missus and a buy XYZ?

The Marlin is tempting me with the heavy (and the ability to swap the) barrel so i'm leaning towards it if I go the 22/250- In the 223 "i was" thinking the 783. But I haven't laid hands on either- and that could mean I don't like either when my big old redneck paws wrap around them.

Zook/Missit- The joys of living outside the major cities. And the price we pay. If we take a $500 rifle +$100 postage&insurance+local dealer fee for handling&paperwork fee= its now a $630 for a rifle from down south. Yes it's till 2-3 boxes of ammo cheaper- but its also a risk for an unseen rifle.
##An interesting post on 'that other forum' about an uninsured rifle being destroyed in transit to its new owners Oops!##

Crackers- the Howa is a bloody good rifle in the 222/223.. A mate-of-a-mate has apparently had some strife trying to find a gunsmith the swap the barrel on his 22-250. Apparently they are a lot tighter than most rifles- so a lot of gun plumbers are reluctant to touch them.
Having said that- the Townsville dealers have listed on there site, " HOWA RIFLE PACKAGE -with Sabre 3-9x40 scope- $595 blued/$795 s/s.. ." At $600 it'd be hard to walk past in the 204/223. (Called them and had a talk- they cant/wont be getting any in the .204 though. Only the 223/22-250/.../308.)

Definitely take the Howa over the 783 in the 223. Surprised at the price they are! Thanks!

Mustang/Puddle- thanks for your comments on your ownership of each. Savage barrels apparently do fit the Marlin.

I think Crackers/Bray have the choice in the .223 with the Howa option. Thanks guys

#Damn it- I really want the 22-250 and an easy to swap barrel#.
uploadfromtaptalk1400674631686.jpg
Thanks for comments people.

Tex