Sako finnwolf lever action

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Anyone had much to do with these? Handled one the other day which appears to have had little use and found it very appealing, smooth action, very nice trigger for a lever gun.

Seems to be the realm of collectors theses days but would you consider buying one for use rather than collecting.
Thanks
dhv
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22LR

Re: Sako finnwolf lever action

Post by dhv »

I have one. Found it in the US and imported it.

I've fired it at the range but doubt I would take it hunting given it would be ideal in the thick stuff which would result in scratches & marks.

Spare mags are like hens teeth; expect to pay $300 if you can find one (there are two types which are not easily interchangeable).

Check for cracks in the comb of the stock.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Thanks DHV, they sound like the might be too good to use out hunting.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

What's the point of having a hunting rifle that you're not going to use for hunting?

Please don't take this as me being a smart ass, I'm just curious. If I could afford a lever gun like that I dare say that it would be my go to gun for most hunting.

Cheers

BB
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Having it and not using it is like being with Scarlett Johansson and not screwing her in case you made a mess of her.. I'd make the mess and enjoy every second of it.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

From what I've heard you'd make a mess of yourself before you got to her...
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker

Post by Buffy »

That's why you always have reserves, Grimo! The first one doesn't count anyway.

BB
dhv
.17 HMR

Post by dhv »

Buff Buster wrote:What's the point of having a hunting rifle that you're not going to use for hunting?

BB
I collect Sakos, and it's a Sako. Why have an ammo collection and not fire it? Why collect stamps and not post them?

Mines in mint condition. If I found one that had been used and for the right price, I'd hunt with it. What's the asking price?

If you do decide to try it, you need to work the lever like you mean it. Be gentle with it and it will feel like it's broken.
Attachments
Finnwolf1.jpg
Finnwolf1.jpg (80.83 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker

Post by Buffy »

dhv wrote:
Buff Buster wrote:What's the point of having a hunting rifle that you're not going to use for hunting?

BB
Why have an ammo collection and not fire it? Why collect stamps and not post them?

I know!

It just seems silly, doesn't it.

That is a fine rifle you have there DHV, does it shoot as good as the bolt action sako's?

As I said, if I could afford a sako lever gun, that would be my go to gun for most hunting situations. This is probably sacrilege to a collector, but could you imagine how good that would look with an exhibition grade walnut stock! Beautiful!

BB
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Please don't take this as me being a smart ass, I'm just curious. If I could afford a lever gun like that I dare say that it would be my go to gun for most hunting.

Cheers

BB
My thoughts are similar to yours, it was my intent to use it hunting. I like hunting with old guns and i guess picking up a 40 year old rifle in excellent condition and then using it would no doubt detract from its collectors status, but then again it should give me a lot of satisfaction.
In the end its a personal choice, though when I look at the price of new bolt action sako's and then what they are worth on the second hand market, the finnwolf should at least keep its value if its looked after.

DHV very nice rifle you have there. What brand are the rings?
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

I shot one a few times in N.Z. when living there, there is still a good few kicking about. It was 308win and offered to me at $450.00, I passed. Yes I am biased to quality savage 99s, but really they are chalk and cheese. The finnwolf is a poor cousin to the 99, DHV has probably just chocked on his coffee :lol: But it is what it is

Johno
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Still calling a spade a fricken shovel Johno. ;)

Good to hear from you mate.
dhv
.17 HMR

Post by dhv »

johno1 wrote:I shot one a few times in N.Z. when living there, there is still a good few kicking about. It was 308win and offered to me at $450.00, I passed. Yes I am biased to quality savage 99s, but really they are chalk and cheese. The finnwolf is a poor cousin to the 99, DHV has probably just chocked on his coffee :lol: But it is what it is

Johno
I may have choked on my coffee, but you are definitely choking your chicken with comments like that. :lol:
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

dhv wrote:
johno1 wrote:I shot one a few times in N.Z. when living there, there is still a good few kicking about. It was 308win and offered to me at $450.00, I passed. Yes I am biased to quality savage 99s, but really they are chalk and cheese. The finnwolf is a poor cousin to the 99, DHV has probably just chocked on his coffee :lol: But it is what it is

Johno
I may have choked on my coffee, but you are definitely choking your chicken with comments like that. :lol:
+1when I read that yesterday I could not bring myself to comment.
Ol 55
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Eurotrash V Americrap. The saga continues.