Finally Picked up the Tikka T3 Varmint 300 Win Mag.

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Finally Picked up the Tikka T3 Varmint 300 Win Mag.

Post by kjd »

So I took home my Tikka T3 Varmint in 300Win the other day, the first thing I did was install a limbsaver recoil pad as the rubber pad that comes on the stock is not what you would call... Soft.

Unfortunately a bit of juggling with money meant that I haven't set it up exactly how I want it in regards to mounting and optics.

At the moment I have set it up like this:

Burris Turn in Mounts with Leupold STD rings and stole the scope off of my 17hmr and placed it on there which is a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 BDC.

I am yet to develop a load for the 300Win but I was given some Highland 150gr SP ammo by a mate at work which worked well. I sighted it in, it was grouping OK as I sighted it in but nothing to write home about.

I then took shot it at our gong which is at 350yds I hit on the 2nd shot (with aid from the BDC reticle and Nikon's Spot On Ballistic App) and then managed to hit 5 from 8 shots, The misses were basically adjusting for the breeze, but once I worked out where to aim I hit the gong 3 times in a row then told GriMo where to aim and he hit it on his first shot.

I can't wait to develop a load for this thing but I will need to get a muzzlebrake, it kicks a bit but recoil energy will increase by 20% when I use the 208Gr Amax's so I feel the brake is necessary, I will likely get a Clamp on brake from HSS.

We also shot 3 bunnies with it for shits and giggles and there were a lot of giggles! Gotta love all that extra energy!

I'm very happy with the rifle and just can't wait to put all the pieces together!
zook60
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Re: Finally Picked up the Tikka T3 Varmint 300 Win Mag.

Post by zook60 »

Limb saver will help with the recoil.
You can also fill the stock with rice or what ever you want really.