CZ 527 17 HH - First Impressions

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
xa-coupe
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

CZ 527 17 HH - First Impressions

Post by xa-coupe »

After spending nearly all day in the car going here and there, I finally have the CZ in my hot hands.... and most importantly, I have ammo. I have used borrowed mounts and scope to get it functioning .

First Impressions
I am quite underwhelmed to be honest. The stock is bland, the varmint barrel is heavy .. ish. The trigger is okay, even using the set trigger. It does come to the shoulder quite well and points well. The metalwork looks to be very good, yet again, nothing spectacular
On the upside, the test target it came with shows promise. Looks to be about 1/2 an inch. I am more than happy to be underwhelmed if it shoots like that out in the field. How it shoots is important not how it looks. To me anyway.

If all goes well, I will be able to shoot it tomorrow and I will let you know what I think.
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Re: CZ 527 17 HH - First Impressions

Post by Teepee »

Good luck with it
Hope it goes well for you.
Teepee
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Cz's aren't renowned for their timber quality in fact grimo's 22lr is the best I've seen, that being said when you scratch it, it won't hurt as much.

The triggers I found are fine on the 527 and I don't think you need a heavier barrel for such a tiny caliber.

I loved the 223 I reviewed a few years ago with the laminated stock.

You will get a well made good shooter for under $1500 and that's what CZ's are about!

I guess it's horses for courses but really nice wood doesn't exist until you hit at least $2000 on a rifle though you can sometimes get lucky.
WARDY91
.222 Remington

Post by WARDY91 »

Mine was the same XA coupe timber isn't a great piece nor is the finish. The laquer is very plain. The sale fell through on mine so I'm now keeping it.
Last edited by WARDY91 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Send your stocks up to Missed's stock beautifying service. Competitive prices and top work!
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

Xa,

Don't rely on the paper target the rifle comes with as a guide to how the rifle shoots. My 30-06 came with a paper target, with 3 holes in it made by a hole punch!!! Can you see any powder marks or jagged edges around the holes? :wink:

On the positive side, the 3 holes on the paper target supplied did not do the rifle justice - it shoots a helluva lot better than that with handloads. If the 527 is anything like the 550 you should be able to lighten off the trigger using a tiny flat blade screwdriver - I've got mine just right for me (slightly lighter than 2 lbs) - Don't use the set trigger anymore.

Hope that you enjoy your new addition - ugly rifles can still shoot - a lot like a lot of the members on here really! :)

Regards,

CZ550
xa-coupe
.17 HMR

Post by xa-coupe »

Thanks guys. The target looks like a real target. The bonus of a 17 is they don't make hole punches that small :)

I have been a fan of laminated stocks of late, the stock on the CZ isn't ugly or wrong, just plain compared to the laminates. All will be forgiven if it shoots well :hunting:
matang
.204 Ruger

Post by matang »

Yes they are a bit under welling to look at but it is all metal no plastic bits will last a few generations amd shoot like stink. I had my gunsmith to adjust trigger and thats all. My 527 223 will hold its own against my lot more expensive custom rifles. The only thing I dont like is the high bolt lift with regards to getting scope low
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

CZ550 wrote:Xa,Hope that you enjoy your new addition - ugly rifles can still shoot - a lot like a lot of the members on here really! :)

Regards,

CZ550
So there is hope for me yet
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

MISSED wrote:
CZ550 wrote:Xa,Hope that you enjoy your new addition - ugly rifles can still shoot - a lot like a lot of the members on here really! :)

Regards,

CZ550
So there is hope for me yet
NO :twisted:

XA, if the triggers are the same as on the 453 rimfires, I think they are, they can be adjusted down to a very light set off, without using the set feature. I have my 22 and HMR set at around 1/2 pound, I cant remember the procedure just now, but if you want Ill try and find what I did.

Good luck with the new rifle, Im a CZ/Brno fan, about the only thing I don't like much about them is the box magazine, but I could live with it. The mounts that I use for CZs are the Lynx bridge mounts, with low rings, I find it depends more on the size of the ocular housing on the scope, rather than the mounts, as to how much clearance you get with the bolt handle, you could always grind down the handle for a bit extra clearance.

From all I have read about them, they shoot really well.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Well it shoots......
xa-coupe
.17 HMR

Post by xa-coupe »

Plowboy wrote:Well it shoots......
Yes it does... and you are not allowed to use it again ... until I do a better group :)

It is a great rifle.. though I do not like the set trigger at all. I will work on lightening it ... and contemplate a single stage 'normal' trigger. Regardless of the trigger, it is a keeper !
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Did you get a manual with it with how to adjust the trigger?

I have downloaded it to see if it is the same for my brno 527 with double triggers. My set trigger is so very light but the normal is the opposite, would rather have the normal about where my other hunting triggers are.

Ryan
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

xa-coupe wrote:
Plowboy wrote:Well it shoots......
Yes it does... and you are not allowed to use it again ... until I do a better group :)

Haha sure it just beginners luck.......on hang on!

We didn't measure the group but it was under and inch I am pretty sure.
xa-coupe
.17 HMR

Post by xa-coupe »

closer to half an inch ... not counting the shot when the target fell over after you fired ...

I will finish cleaning it and look at the trigger, I have the book and no doubt I will also consult YouTube to become an expert too. All in all, I am very impressed. The bullets look so tiny but it has plenty of bark to it. I expect that the critters will be feeling the effects soon !