Ultimate territory gun

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Ultimate territory gun

Post by Buffy »

Ok, like you lot I'm keen to do my first build over the next year.

I need some inspiration for the ultimate territory gun!

Here are the parameters in which it needs to be capable:

Fast! - this thing needs to be able to put at least 10 rounds down range in under 20 seconds.... thinking pump/lever

Capacity: there are no capacity restrictions in the territory..... at least 15 rounds

Power: It needs to have enough nock down power for everything, including donkeys,camels, scrub bulls, and buff.

Individual: I don't want a run of the mill calibre, go nuts, make a suggestion. At the moment I'm thinking 338FED, 358WIN, 458WM even 338RUM-375RUM or 50alaskan.

Aesthetics: This thing needs to look the part! when you see it, it should be listed as the dictionary meaning of "Bad Ass"

So there you go, have a think and start listing all your ideas from calibres to components

Cheers

BB
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Re: Ultimate territory gun

Post by Jacko9 »

Alright, an easy one?

Tikka t3 hunter fluted stainless chambered in 338 federal, pushing the 185 grain ttsx at around 2700 fps, or load heavier 338 projies like the 210 grn nosler partition at around 2600 fps, if it was mine though? the TTSX will be excellent on all the game you've said, I've used em' in a few calibers, they have great, predictable performance, with deep penetration being a common factor in all of them. The other projectile, well worth trying would be the 200 grn Aussie Customs Projectile, basically Barnes performance, without the Barnes price tag! These are excellent and I rate them highly, it will be the only projectile I run through my 358 Norma Magnum, and infact, probably the only pills i run from 6.5mm up nowadays. The good thing about the 338 fed is, it'll deliver usable performance that'll punish the thing on the muzzle end, not both ends!! Plus im sure you could just get cheapy once fired 308 brass, neck it out, then if you lose it, who cares? it wasnt expensive 458 wm or something like that.

A few aftermarket mags, pretty sure you can get 15 rounders now anyways? prefer detachables to a lever gun, think of it, a few 10 or 15 rounders is going to be a hell of a lot quicker than having to reload a lever gun...

As far as sights go, I'd look at an Aimpoint Micro H1 with a 2 moa dot as you'll not be shooting them from a country mile away, fast target acquisition is great with these sights, You will not regret this choice in my opinion....

There isn't a lever gun, that actually will deliver what you want, nothing will come close as far as mag capacity goes, maybe a 44 or 357 mag, but these don't offer the performance your after... it's a catch 22 situation, i think a bolt gun and a few good mags will do a hell of a lot better, and be a hell of a lot more versatile than a lever gun, can ever be.

On top of all this, if you really wanted to make it look badass, drop it in a PSE composites gunstock (http://www.pse-composites.com/tikka-t3-stock.html) and then either cerakote the action an awesome colour, or send it off to unique skin coatings (http://www.uniquesc.com.au/)or just send it there in the factory stock and have USC work their magic!

There you go mate,
Thats how i'd do it, and that rifle is capable of a hell of a lot more than just NT, Sambar? no worries. Anything in Australia should fall over with that thing!

Cheers,
Jackson.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

For a fast repeater Jackson is spot on!
The 358Win punches way above its weight!

As for the Rum's, mate, there are other options!
They really are a bolt gun round.

Glenn
Last edited by Glenn on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

Glenn wrote:For a fast repeater Jackson is spot on!
The 358Fed punches way above its weight!

As for the Rum's, mate, there are other options!
They really are a bolt gun round.

Glenn
Either the 358 win, or 338 fed will punch well above their weight, if you wanted you could even step up into their "06" length cartridges, the 35 wheelan and the 338-06, all four of these calibers, will be absolutely excellent, myself, I just think a rum will give the shooter a flinch in the long run for most situations. Better off having a smaller cal you can get back on target quicker than a big cannon IMHO...
Glenn
375 Cheytac

Post by Glenn »

Better off having a smaller cal you can get back on target quicker than a big cannon IMHO...
I can't comment on that! :lol:

Glenn
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

Glenn wrote:
Better off having a smaller cal you can get back on target quicker than a big cannon IMHO...
I can't comment on that! :lol:

Glenn

:lol: I did see that big one you had, wow weee, all i can say :rifle2: But for high capacity shooting, a rum seems a little pointless, it'll knock him up too much, if it was pretty static shooting, and not a heap, yeah go for it, but for a lot of rounds, fast, its too big IMHO
Glenn
375 Cheytac

Post by Glenn »

I agree Jackson!

Rum's are a long range gun!

As you said high capacity shooting he needs a mild caliber.

358Win would be my choice!

Glenn
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Browning BLR in 300 WinMag or 358 Win. OR rebarrel to 338 WinMag. Not sure about the extended mags tho. The rotating bolt design is as strong as any bolt action.
Just my opinion which will be howled down.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

That will do the trick Glen, are they a detachable mag, if so carry a couple and you will certainly have some fire power available. 358, 35 Whelan or even a 30-06 should be plenty
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

kickinback wrote:Browning BLR in 300 WinMag or 358 Win. OR rebarrel to 338 WinMag. Not sure about the extended mags tho. The rotating bolt design is as strong as any bolt action.
Just my opinion which will be howled down.
I thought the blr would be excellent, especially the take down model! You could probably have a few barrels headspaced for the receiver, a flat shooter and a big whopper, only reason I didn't suggest it was the lack of hi capacity mags, otherwise it's about perfect!
fenring

Post by fenring »

Rem 7600 in .35 Whelan, Tikka T3 Battue Lite in .300WM or 9.3x62 with ten round mag.

Weaver bases on both, low mounted 2 - 7x32 in QR mounts so you have backup or scrub sights.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Remington 7600 in 35 whelan or even 9.3x62 if you want to build one, I know Peter van Meurs built one previously. Alternatively a bolt gun in 9.3x62 as suggested with detachable mags Sauer 202 in 9.3 with 5 round mags would be my pick as you can change to other calibres too. Sauer forest or hardwood with the 18.5 inch barrel would be the go.

Whilst I lived in the territory I had a couple of bolt guns built, should have got a 9.3 / 35whelan (i had good luck on buff with the 7600 whelan i had previously) but went 404 jeff, after I left I never used it so sold it to someone still up there.

It really depends on the country you hunt around swamps a lever 44 mag can be great on pigs and with strong enough projectiles can take buff. 308 was the territory standard in that everyone has one and they work. 358 win if you want something different. If your going to be taking it on boat trips or away on a plane the best rifle was something small enough to roll up in a swag.

This might be a bit strange, but one of my favourite fast handling / shooting rifles was a ruger number 1 in 375 h&h with a ground down safety so the cases just ejected and didn't catch. I could load from the carrier off the stock or a cartridge belt very fast and there wasn't a magazine limit. :)
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Get an R license.............nother game altogether then.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

I think I'd do either a bolt gun with a 10 round mag (Rem with HS mag kit, for example), or a 7600 and then go for something like a 338-06 or 9.3x62 if ranges won't be too great.
Mulga
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .222 Rem

Post by Mulga »

Ruger Scout Rifle in .308 win. An run Barnes TTSX on the big stuff.