Savage 93 R17 17hmr combo opinions.

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Milo1976
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Savage 93 R17 17hmr combo opinions.

Post by Milo1976 »

Hi guys,
I'm considering buying the combo mentioned in the heading, are these good value or a case of you get what you pay for? I don't have heaps to spend so the price is right for me but I don't want to buy rubbish either.
Love to here any feedback.
Cheers
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Savage 93 R17 17hmr combo opinions.

Post by Camel »

Mate if its what you can afford, and don't do a lot of shooting, then its probably going to give you good service. I haven't read anything about them as Savage rifles don't interest me, and I think some of their rimfires look a bit different and aren't what I look for. If you like them and it shoots ok, go for it. :D
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

I own a mod 25 savage 17 hornet. Camel is right odd looking but it shoots so bloody well I can't get rid of it. I was going to trade up to a CZ 527 when they became available but am to scared it won't shoot as well. Might just have to have two :D

A mate of mine has the 17 HMR Savage 93 and it shoots really well I can't remember what ammo it liked, I think it was Hornady,but I can find out for you.

The stock on his is a bit flexy at the fore end it has the syntho stock. He said if he had the choice again he would go the timber.

Savages are known for being good shooters out of the box. But some of the things to look out for are a small crack in the timber stock up behind the Tang particularly on laminated stocks.And some people have had bad burrs on the crown of the barrel. I had a crack in the mod 25 stock which was replaced straight away by the agent no stress. I have only heard of the crown burrs but it can be sorted out quite easily. Still a great rifle for the coin.

Nothing wrong with it the rabbits and foxes have never complained :twisted:

Never seen him have any problem with it the field.

Happy shopping/hunting

Flip
Conan
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Conan »

I have one with a heavy barrel in s/s and laminate stock. It's got a nikko nighteater 3.5x10-42LXR scope on it!
I played $650 for the rifle and $200 for the scope about 2years ago and it's never let me down! The only down fall is your wallet after a day at the range
Milo1976
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by Milo1976 »

Thanks guys, just don't want to buy a rifle that people who have had them would recommend to steer well clear of.
Cheers
vicfox
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 17 HMR

Post by vicfox »

Buy the rifle on it's own somewhere from $420 upwards and get a scope you want not what a dealer thinks might appear good value.

You could spoil a very accurate rifle in a Savage 93 HMR by fitting the wrong scope IMO.

Choice is a beautiful thing.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I have one, just bought it, I really like it, it works as advertised!
fenring

Post by fenring »

What scope does the combo have?
AusJas
Favourite Cartridge: .17

Post by AusJas »

I've had a 93r17 btvs for close to 12 months and have put maybe 350 or so rounds through it.....it's an absolute tack driver!

Have not had any problems with it at all.....love it!