What are you all building?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

The weekend seems to have ignited a spark in many of us to do a build or two. Interested to hear what people have underway and planned. Here is my list:

6BR "target rifle that I can shoot varmints with" - Pierce single shot, McMillan Hunter Class Benchrest stock, Lilja 3 groove barrel, Jewell trigger, Sightron SIII MOA 6-24 scope

20 Tac varminter - another Pierce but a repeater this time, HS precision stock, Maddco barrel, Jewell trigger, scope tbd

Need to tune up a lightweight 7RM with a new barrel and a brake, and eventually rebarrel my 223 sporter to 6mm-223.

Down the track I want to build a 9.3x62 pumpkin chucker - rem 700 long action, Lilja barrel, McMillan KS stock
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: What are you all building?

Post by MISSED »

I want to grab another Sako L461 or A1 so I can screw the Shilen 17 cal barrel I have here chambered in 17 Mach 1V.Then I can use up the 150 Cases I have made for it.Scope will be a Ziess 4.5-14

300 Win Mag, Action TBA, HS precision stock,Madco finished at 26", a Vias brake turned to barrel profile, which I am not sure about yet.Sightron S111 6-24x50 MOA2 reticle.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Well, I am chucking up on what to do, Ive got a McGowan 1-12 ss 30 cal tube on the way, would like to go with a Brno 602 mag action, just because I like Brnos, but I know it wont be the first action to think of a precision build, but seeing as it will not get that much use I'm not too worried about that, there was a nice looking 602 in 300H&H on Usedguns, unfortunately it was already sold. :evil: Thinking 300Win Mag, and unfortunately at the moment the dreams of building a 360 Hump Buster is just a dream at the moment.
Sako Sam
Favourite Cartridge: 20 Tactical

Post by Sako Sam »

My brother and I are planning our own pumpkin chucker. 416 Taylor. I lucked onto a set of Redding dies, a heap of Woodleigh pills and 100+ 458WM cases that was too good an opportunity to pass up. Will be on a Zastava action in a Richards Microfit walnut stock.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Camel wrote:Well, I am chucking up on what to do, Ive got a McGowan 1-12 ss 30 cal tube on the way, would like to go with a Brno 602 mag action, just because I like Brnos, but I know it wont be the first action to think of a precision build, but seeing as it will not get that much use I'm not too worried about that, there was a nice looking 602 in 300H&H on Usedguns, unfortunately it was already sold. :evil: Thinking 300Win Mag, and unfortunately at the moment the dreams of building a 360 Hump Buster is just a dream at the moment.
I do have a 300 H&H reamer sitting in the drawer. Only been used the once. :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Hey Sam, the Zastava would be a more logical action for me to use as well, the trigger on them would be the only thing to sway me away from a Brno action.

:shock: From the sound of things there are going to be some very interesting toys at the next Ausvarmint ......athon :twisted:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

adamjp wrote:
Camel wrote:Well, I am chucking up on what to do, Ive got a McGowan 1-12 ss 30 cal tube on the way, would like to go with a Brno 602 mag action, just because I like Brnos, but I know it wont be the first action to think of a precision build, but seeing as it will not get that much use I'm not too worried about that, there was a nice looking 602 in 300H&H on Usedguns, unfortunately it was already sold. :evil: Thinking 300Win Mag, and unfortunately at the moment the dreams of building a 360 Hump Buster is just a dream at the moment.
I do have a 300 H&H reamer sitting in the drawer. Only been used the once. :D

Ill keep that in mind, thanks Adam :D
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

I have a few builds on the boil at the moment.

The 6mm BR will hopefully be here soon.

* Pierce Ti repeater action
* Two stage Huber Concepts trigger with the 2nd stage at 2Lb (really feels like 1lb 'cause that is what the first stage weight is).
* Wildcat Composites Carbon Fibre stock (photo attached of my stock)
* AtlasWorx integral lever DBM
* Modified AICS magazine boxes (hold 7xBR cases)
* Lilja 1:8 twist #4 profile barrel cut to 23in and no-turn neck
* March 3-24FFP scope

I chose the 6mm BR because it is an accurate little cartridge, throws the 105gn class VLD bullets very well giving good downrange trajectories, does not use much powder and the barrel will last a really long time.

The extra cost of the Pierce Ti action was justified to myself by aiming for the whole rifle to come in around 7.5lb scoped. The Wildcat stock weighs 2lb with recoil pad, the action will be just over half the weight of a standard Rem 700 short action, the barrel is not a fully sick varmit weight barrel, but it will be heavy enough for the purpose.

This will be the most expensive rifle in my safe, and I'm not likely to do another one like it anytime soon.
Attachments
Wildcat Stock.jpg
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

The other build on the boil is a simple re-barrelling job.

In 1982 my father bought a brand new Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts. Over the years it has been used and abused by both of us, and when it recently came into my possession I bought some new cases and some bullets to get it working again. Well, after 50 rounds, two different bullets and all sorts of charge weights I recognised it wasn't going to be very accurate. When my borescope arrived a quick look told me that the throat was rooted, the crown was rotten and all things considered the barrel had to go.

But what to make of the rifle? As a 1980s Featherweight it might have been light by the standards of the day, but at 8lb 3oz (6x Leupold) it was not terribly light by the standard of today. Having been planning a 338/06 on a Mauser action for a while, it was simple to sell the donor Interarms Mauser and commission a special barrel for the Featherweight.

So I emailed Dan Lilja and asked about a 'magnum featherweight' profile barrel. Why? Well the Winchester Featherweight barrels are truly ultra-thin, and with a muzzle of just on .565 of an inch there was no way that profile could safely contain a 338 calibre hole (rule of thumb is 150 thou of metal on each side). With me willing to pay the 'special profile' fee, Lilja was willing to make me a barrel that would follow the featherweight profile, but with enough diameter to hold a 338 cal hole. Re-cutting the inlet for the barrelled action will be easy and the wood will just take the fatter barrel, just. That is presuming that I can get my barrel bedder back from MISSED!

The barrel is now only weeks from delivery and I have the reamer sitting here ready to go (yes I bought a 338/06 reamer). Some time in late October I will drive to my preferred gunsmith with the Model 70, the reamer, the stock and magazine boxes for the 6mm BR and drop them off for him to do his work. With a little luck, by late January I will be working on two new rifles. The Winchester will be Cerakoted Graphite Black as befits a Riflemans Rifle.

BTW - anybody want to buy a bunch of stuff for a 257 Roberts? Cases and RCBS dies are available. PM me if you are interested.
Attachments
P1020416.jpg
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Bighorn TL2 223 action
Krieger #15 barrel 1:8 22" long
Nightforce 5.5-22x50
Jewell
Not sure on stock, think McMillan HTG.

Chambered in 223! 75amax are a treat! Im a convert from all this fancy stuff to a plain fast twist 223.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

I have a Sako L461 (guess who told me to buy that) 17Rem being rebarreled to 17 Fireball as we speak!

Working on a stock pattern for two new varmint stocks.

I may build a proper 300WM one day and get rid of me factory (Spit) Rem 300WM!

Glenn
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

284 shehane on my pierce action.

Reamer and gauges arrived a while back, still didnt get it done in time for the WARA queens so its hopefully getting done soon.

Got a 32 inch krieger 1:8.5 twist 1.25" straight barrel with 5R rifling.

Plan will be to run 180 hybrids if I can find some in Aus.

Then I need another dasher barrel 28 inches 1:8 twist for 105 hybrids, 103 copperheads or 105 scenars.

Then I will need a 14 twist dasher just for varminting.

By that stage if owning a firearm isnt illegal in WA I might get the 308 put onto a dedicated action or find something else to build. Maybe a 30BR or something for a bit of fun.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

My stevens 200 (cheap savage) 223 is getting a bit of a make over the next 12 months. It is basically stock other than a sss trigger asssembly. I just uped the mag with a 6.5-20x44 vx111 and sitting on my desk is a boyds thumbhole stock. Next the sporter barred is getting replaced with a varmint weight match barrel. The stock barrel shoots just fine though (.7 inch groups with handloads at 100) and I am sure with a better shooter behinde the butt it would go much tighter.
Trying to get it all togeter fairly cheaply

Cheers
James
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Out of curiosity, where do you chaps source your actions from? Say a Stolle or a Pierce for example.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

Pierce actions are imported by Phoenix Sports Trading in Qld
http://phoenixsportstrading.com/store/page14.html