Tikka Delemma 1st Centrefire

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Mr Fluffy
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Mr Fluffy »

Hi all need your thoughts.

I have been given approval by my finance manager to purchase a new toy. Total cost $2,500 and I am wanting to push as close to the budget as possible as I have had to wait over 5 years for this and I don't believe I will get her to weaken again with a newly built house and all.

I am looking at a Tikka 223. The gun will be used for varminting, stalking and ute work in and out of the vehicle. I will mainly be using it on Rabbits, Foxes, Cats, Roos (with a permit) and the odd goat or 2.
So far;
Tikka 223
Steiner Preditor 4-16X50 scope
Leupold rings
CNC machined deluxe kit (Knob, Shroud and Bolt)
AI 10 shot mag
Harris bi-pod
(Please feel free to add any of your recommendations and why)

I have narrowed it down to 3 rifles and would like some advise on Which and Why you would selected that variant to do the above;
Varmint Stainless
Lite Stainless
Lite Stainless Fluted (I can get, as they will swap stocks)

I am leaning towards the Lite Stainless Fluted being a bit easier to manager in the ute and lighter to carry in the field, however is their going to be a lot or any difference in accuracy between the Lite and the Varmint?
Would their be much difference between the Lite or the Lite fluted?
Does anyone know what the rough cost to flute the varmint barrel and would it be worth it?
Are the Synthetic free floating or not?
What barrel twist rate should I get the 1 in 8 or the 1 in 12?

Just a little confused with what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The permission to acquire has been sent and hoping to be out and about at the most in 3 weeks.

Any and all help would be appreciated
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Re: Tikka Delemma 1st Centrefire

Post by andrewk »

for spotlighting from a vehicle barrel weight matters a lot when you're trying to get the longer shots in. Depending how much walking you plan to do I'd go the heavy varmint... in 204
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

andrewk wrote:for spotlighting from a vehicle barrel weight matters a lot when you're trying to get the longer shots in. Depending how much walking you plan to do I'd go the heavy varmint... in 204
I agree with the above. For game listed I would definitely go the 204R. The extra weight of the varmint is an advantage for the longer shots out of vehicle and a tikka varmint wont be to heavy to carry on foot.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

A 223 is a good first centerfire. I had a t3 varmint stainless 1:8 twist. It was a good rifle, light for a heavy barrel, but I'd prefer a t3 hunter stainless or stainless fluted if I could have my time again, a heavy barrel just isn't needed for most shooting situations IMHO.

I used a 1:8 twist rifle, and used lighter copper projectiles, so the argument of a fast twist won't push light bullets isn't true with the use of copper "environmentally friendly" projectiles. But I had more versatility to use heavier projectiles for goats and pigs, a 55 grain sierra game king soft point boat tail is a good compromise.

I'd personally go a 223, cheaper ammo, more versatility am with 40 grainers it's close enough to a 204.

Cheers,
Jackson.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Personally I would loose the 10 shot mag, in favour of a good bipod.

What I cant hit with 5 in the internal mag, I sure wont hit with the rest.
They are a PITA in a Vehicle,
You need to go higher on a biod if you are "Sniping" rabbits etc (this can cause a different POI due to different/unstable firing position)
You tend to snap and snatch because "well hell, I got 10 to use",
You tend to loose count of rounds remaining easily (some people just cant count). This could potentially be a saftey issue.

I work with 13 and 30 round magazines all day/every day at the moment, but the above is just my opinion.

Mick
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Rabbits, cats, foxes, the odd roo (under permit) and maybe a goat or two...

223 or 22-250 would be my vote. Running the 55gr sierra gameking "roo loads" will be perfect. They still work fine on varmints but on roos and goats you will appreciate the heavier bullet for knockdown power. The 223 12 twist would be my choice for that cal as you can stabilise up to 60gr bullets in it. If you want to shoot any further I would go the 22-250 for the extra range. 50gr ballistic tips for varmints work fine in the 223 as well. Ive tried the 40's but found the 50 and 55's were better out further in terms of wind drift.

I personally wouldnt go for the 204 in this case as the highly frangible varmint plastic tip bullets might not always be the best for goats and roos. While they will sometimes do well, if they hit bone often they will splash. Plus in 204 factory barrels you may not be able to stabilise the legal 40gr projectiles anyway. Some rifles do and others dont. Its a great fox, bunny and cat round but not many goat hunters or roo cullers I know run 204's as the ammo isnt as cheap as the 223 and the choice in hunting projectiles isnt very good.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Lite stainless,timber stock in .243. :wink:
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Hmmm, varminting and stalking are kind of at opposite ends of the spectrum so I'm making my recommendations more at the varminting/spotlighting side.

For a bit of versatility I'd go for the .223 (not sure what else you have in the safe, so covering a few more bases with the .223) the T3 varmint stainless is great, I live mine. Not too heavy but enough to provide done stability.

Scope, I'd go a Leupy VX3 6.5-20. Leupy rings will work just fine. Alternatively I hear good things from the sightron range and you might find a bit better flexibility within your budget.

Harris make a good bipod. My personal preference is for the "swivel" models as it makes life more pleasant if on hills etc.

I wouldn't worry about a 10 shot mag or the shroud/bolt kit just yet. It's money that could be spent on better optics and the like.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

True... But I like the versatility of a 1:8 twist. Way I see it, you've got a long action, may as well use it....

I wouldn't bother with a 22-250, just step up to a 243 with 70 grain nosler ballistic tips or a 65 grain vmax's if you want a loud flat shooting rifle.

IMHO, a 243 is better than a 22-250, it offers so much more than a 22-250, and it's not like either of them are quiet rifles to start with. What's the average loads for a 22-250? 40-60 grains? Versus the 243, 55 grains up to 105. I damn sure know what I'd be grabbing. A 243.

By the way I've got a leupy vx3 6.5-20x40 AO which ill have up for sale soon :D

Edit: considering this is the fellas first centerfire I think a 223 for cheap ammo, and still can load up good game kings which are cheap as chips for hunting,,, but if you want an all rounder? A 243 won't be beat, it doesn't give anything to a 22-250 I'm the varminting stakes in my opinion, but a decent hunting projectile like a Barnes 80 grain ttsx or an acp sidewinder, or the good old sierra gameking and you'll have a fantastic rifle for goats and the odd pig as well as being pretty good under the light!

Cheers,
Jackson.
fenring

Post by fenring »

FYI, Clayton Firearms in Vic have the fluted stainless Steyr Pro Varmint on special....

http://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/produ ... ss-clayton
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

fenring wrote:FYI, Clayton Firearms in Vic have the fluted stainless Steyr Pro Varmint on special....

http://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/produ ... ss-clayton

That fen, is damn sexy. 8)
Mr Fluffy
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Mr Fluffy »

Hi guys, thanks.

Will look at the Styer that is interesting how ever you did not read the rule. This thread is meant to make my life easer not harder.

From what you have said I will most likley not go the mag kit.

I already have a cz 453 22 and the bank manager is also trying to knock me down in price. I would love a 204R. I am only going down the path of a 223 due to the difference in bullet prices between the 2.

I kind of like the Steiner's S1 plex, how ever O'Rielly's has a Special on swarovski Z3 4-12x50 bt for about $1150. I just can't find any info on the net about the Steiner other that what Matang posted on my other post.

What to do?
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Mr Fluffy wrote:Hi guys, thanks.

Will look at the Styer that is interesting how ever you did not read the rule. This thread is meant to make my life easer not harder.

From what you have said I will most likley not go the mag kit.

I already have a cz 453 22 and the bank manager is also trying to knock me down in price. I would love a 204R. I am only going down the path of a 223 due to the difference in bullet prices between the 2.

I kind of like the Steiner's S1 plex, how ever O'Rielly's has a Special on swarovski Z3 4-12x50 bt for about $1150. I just can't find any info on the net about the Steiner other that what Matang posted on my other post.

What to do?
Nothing wrong with Steiner, but for me it would be that Z3 for a dual purpose varmiter.

Put it on a T3 Stainless Hunter Fluted with a 1:12 twist and the laminate stock. Load 53gn VMAX for bunnies and foxes, 62gn semipoints or 65gn Noslers for goats and pigs.

Buy a spare 5 shot magazine for when you need to hit a quick reload. As Mick pointed out the AI 10rd box is pointless overkill.

Put a Harris BR-S bipod on the front and go and shoot it.

As a package you won't be looking to trade it anytime soon.
Last edited by adamjp on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Alright, sorry for the infraction...

I had the same sort of consideration a while back - my .223 was to be used pretty much as a walkabout fox rifle for night shooting. So I had to factor in the weight of a bipod and torch. I really like heavy, shortish barrels but TBH the weight of a varminter (and I was sorely tempted by the Pro Varmint....) was going to be excessive for walks up to 15km in steep country.

IMO the Tikka placcy stocks kind of cheapen the rifle as good as they may work, and I do like the look of laminate.

So I went with this - stainless laminate .223 1 in 12 twist. I myself see no need to shoot pills over 55 - 60gr in a varmint calibre. Want more penetration - go with a harder bullet and keep the velocity.

Probably add a 6 shot mag later.
damien couper
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by damien couper »

Have you looked into the vortex viper scopes there as good if no better than Leopold and half the price