I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Post by kjd »

Yep, it's still 6-8months out but it should be fun. Great fox gun IMO a 17hmr on roids.
I was skeptical about the WSM but after seeing the price of the ammo (at this stage under $20 per 50) I had to give it a go over the HMR.

So will I blow my money or what?
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Post by JasonF »

I am impressed with how long you have resisted temptation Keith. I would have taken half my pay in stock if I was working at Abela's.
vicfox
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 17 HMR

Post by vicfox »

Do you think it will have a downward effect on the HMR ammo prices as well ?

If it offerers all that a HMR does and more it will be an exciting round.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

vicfox wrote:Do you think it will have a downward effect on the HMR ammo prices as well ?

I think it will have a downward affect on both the HMR and the 17HH in general :lol:

Honestly though I was told HMR ammo will ultimately become cheaper to give it a chance.

Good on you Keith, this will be a great round. I'm eagerly awaiting for the reamer specs to become available.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

JasonF wrote:I am impressed with how long you have resisted temptation Keith. I would have taken half my pay in stock if I was working at Abela's.
Haha I have a lovely wife that keeps me in check.

I booked a Sambar hunt, gotta get some Meindl boots and will get a new gun I think I'm doing OK.

But I have not bought one thing for myself at work yet. Don't know how I've done that but I haven't.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

vicfox wrote:Do you think it will have a downward effect on the HMR ammo prices as well ?

Don't know mate. I attributed the cheaper price to using the 20gn Vmax projectile making it a bit cheaper due to it not being unique to the cartridge but I could be wrong.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

andrewk wrote:

I think it will have a downward affect on both the HMR and the 17HH in general :lol:

Honestly though I was told HMR ammo will ultimately become cheaper to give it a chance.

Good on you Keith, this will be a great round. I'm eagerly awaiting for the reamer specs to become available.
I am more worried about the gun than the Ammo, it is a rear locking action and that concerns me in regards to accuracy but we will see.
If the BMAG is the only repeater made in 17WSM for the first year or so of the cartridges life and it is not accurate it may kill the cartridge. But Savages are known for their accuracy so hopefully I am wrong.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

That's it exactly Keith, cancel the order mate & get the 17 HH.
I will remain a sceptic until the rifles hit the shops, just not enough make/models out there.
One of the reasons the rem 5mm mag died, should have been an absolute pearler. If you could find one of those rem actions might be a nice platform for the new win. They were the strongest rimfire action made.

I wish they had made this case in 20cal instead of 17, reckon it all had to do with trying to get over the the 17 HH Bad, bad move

Johno
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

johno1 wrote:That's it exactly Keith, cancel the order mate & get the 17 HH.
I will remain a sceptic until the rifles hit the shops, just not enough make/models out there.
One of the reasons the rem 5mm mag died, should have been an absolute pearler. If you could find one of those rem actions might be a nice platform for the new win. They were the strongest rimfire action made.

I wish they had made this case in 20cal instead of 17, reckon it all had to do with trying to get over the the 17 HH Bad, bad move

Johno
I'll stick with the WSM I don't want to reload, I think it will take off. And the gun isn't that expensive that I'll be too worried about doing my dough on it.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Wouldnt worry too much about the rear locking Keith, think Rem788, rear locking center fire and one of the most accurate off the shelf cheapies in history I would say. Brno/CZ rimfires just a couple that I can think of off hand. I wouldnt let it bother you.
Would I get one, Nah, Im as happy as a dog with two tails to chase with my CZ HMR, maybe if I didnt already have the hummer I would contemplate it, but then like johno I think I would go for a HH as I dont mind reloading, and looking at the wildcats Ive got Im starting to think that Im addicted to loading.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Well Keith mark this one down in your Diary too, I think you made a good choice. I love handloading, but a rimfire with almost centrefire performance at 40cts a shot. Whats not to like?

if the rifle and ammo combo are rabbit head accurate then what a winner.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

trevort wrote:Well Keith mark this one down in your Diary too, I think you made a good choice. I love handloading, but a rimfire with almost centrefire performance at 40cts a shot. Whats not to like?

That's what I'm betting on mate. I can't wait to get it but I can't hassle myself to make it come quicker either.

Camel,
I just don't have time to reload all that often so it suits me. That said I'd probably not upgrade to a WSM if I had a HMR either but at the same price for ammo I think it's going to be a hard sell for the HMR if the round gets som traction.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Wait for all the licensing issues in WA when you put WSM behind the cal size and try to explain its not high powered...
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

trevort wrote:Well Keith mark this one down in your Diary too, I think you made a good choice. I love handloading, but a rimfire with almost centrefire performance at 40cts a shot. Whats not to like?

Handloading hornet sized 17's are a pain in the cock.
kjd wrote:I am more worried about the gun than the Ammo, it is a rear locking action and that concerns me in regards to accuracy but we will see.
If the BMAG is the only repeater made in 17WSM for the first year or so of the cartridges life and it is not accurate it may kill the cartridge. But Savages are known for their accuracy so hopefully I am wrong.
yeah was gonna say CZ rimfires are rear locking lugs, the latest 455 now single lock lug, my remmy 581 chambered in 17mach2 is rear locking lug as well and shoots like stink on calm days.
the 17wsm I doubt will disappoint.
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

kjd wrote:I was skeptical about the WSM but after seeing the price of the ammo (at this stage under $20 per 50)
Are you sure the pricing is right keith? seems cheap when they were talking of trying to keep it within 10% of HMR ammo cost, I notice most of the HMR ammo on Abela's site is listed at $25-26/50.
If they can get it on to dealers shelves at 20% or more under HMR costs then I don't think you will have to worry about doing your money, there will be a lot of used HMR's for sale.

I hope your right, but I'm still sceptical it will make it on to dealers shelves at $20 and stay at that price longer term.