Brno Model 2

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Brno Model 2

Post by Branxhunter »

I have long hankered after a Brno model 2 and recently picked up this one. It is a 1973 model that has some nice figure in the timber, and has had the open sights removed. While perhaps not to the liking of the collector/purist I quite like the clean look it gives the barrel.

It also has the action glass bedded, and a rear action screw replacing the wood screw behind the trigger bow. It screws into a block dovetailed to the underside of the rear tang.

It came with a 3-9x44 Tasco World Class PLUS which I have replaced with a steel tube V9 Weaver. I would like to obtain a steel tube K4 Weaver of a 4x Leupold for it. The mounts are way too high, but having the 5/8" dovetail finding some lower replacements is proving difficult.

The trigger is reltively light but a bit creepy.

If anyone has some leads on scopes, mounts or suggested options for removing trigger creep I would be interested to hear,

Marcus
Attachments
Brno mod 2 barrel marking #2.jpg
Brno mod 2 butt LHS.jpg
Brno mod 2 butt RHS.jpg
Brno mod 2 LHS #3.jpg
Brno mod 2 RHS #3.jpg
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Brno Model 2

Post by Camel »

I might, just might have a set of rings in the shed that would fit, my 1971 model has a Hillver bridge and low rings, it off getting a new barrel. You can replace the trigger with a Rifle Basics model, dont know the number but its the one that fits the CZ range.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

I thought I might hear from you Camel!

Keen to hear more on the rings. I had wondered whether the rifle basix trigger would fit - I have a Sporting Shooter magazine here with an article by Nick Harvey fitting aN RB trigger to a CZ .22 magnum, and from the pictures in the article it looked like it would fit a model 2 as well.

Cheers,

Marcus
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

No worries mate, Ill look for the rings in the morning, have a few sets some old some new, I wont be using any of them so will put up a list and anyone who can use them can have them. The Rifle Basics trigger is a straight in fit, mine is adjustable from 8oz to 2lb.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Nice model 2, I think mine is an 86. I bought one of the trigger kits consisting of four springs and four tube shims. I have to say it now is a very nice trigger. They used to be for sale on ebay, I actually think I have half the kit left, after doing mine I past it onto another member and have some of it here if you like.

There are also timney triggers for them but I think they require a little stock work. That scope is up in the air isn't it.

Ryan
fallingblock
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22lr

Post by fallingblock »

i fitted a Brooks trigger kit that works really well. Something like $15 plus post from the the US.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Are yeah the brooks kit mine is similar to that. I am sure I have two springs and two shims left in my kit.

Ryan
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

Thanks fellas.

While the rifle basix certainly sound like a the rolls Royce it would make sense to try the shim kit first. I'll take you up on your offer Ryan.

Very keen on some of those rings too Camel.

Send me some PMs and we can swap all the required details.

Marcus
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

PM sent
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

So you're rebarrelling your old Brno Camel? You obviously rate them! I would be interested in seeing you post on it when you get it back. Stainless or blued?

Marcus
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

G'day, yeah mate I rate them pretty highly especially this one as I have had it since I was only a young fella, its the first rifle that i ever owned. Am getting a Maddco stainless put on, the old tube is stuffed, its seen a lot of use and spent many a year jammed behind the seat of my ute had a couple of hundred thousand rounds down the tube and was probably only cleaned about a dozen times, stock knocked to the shit, I sort of wish that I had looked after it better when I was younger, but you only seem to appreciate the finer things with a bit of age and wisdom, its going to be my main work rifle when I get it back, if only I could predict when that will be, hopefully early new year. the CZ varmint Im using now will be put away as a spare, but I dont think it will get much work when I get the old one back.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

The trigger kit from Stinkitup and the scope rings from Camel turned up last week.

I fitted the lightest spring and thinnest shim tube from the trigger kit. It seems to have improved the pull, but I won't know for sure until I get the action back into the stock (it is getting refinished).

The scope rings are much better than the ones that came on the rifle. They are lower and are of more solid construction. I have attached a cpule of photos for comparison.

Marcus
Attachments
Comparison photo #1
Comparison photo #1
Comparison photo #2
Comparison photo #2
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Glad to be able to help out mate, I notice in the first photo its got a rear action screw in the tang, they originally came out with only the screw under the barrel and between the trigger and magazine housing. The way yours is, is a much better setup. Happy christmas.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

Yeah, it looks like someone has done a bit of work to this rifle. It is definitely a 1973 action and barrel - as shown by the photo below. The stock has the relief in the fore-end for the rear sight band, and the hole for what would have been the front screw. The rear tang has a dovetail cut for what is now the rear action screw - I believe this is how the later CZ rimfires were set up.

The second and third photos below compare my barrelled action to a 1967 vintage Model 2 that I am currently refinishing for a friend.

Marcus
Attachments
Date markings
Date markings
1967 vs 1973 barrelled actions #1
1967 vs 1973 barrelled actions #1
1967 vs modified 1973 barrelled actions #2
1967 vs modified 1973 barrelled actions #2
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

Photos of the refinished stock, with Camel's mounts, and (Stinkitup's trigger kit).

Marcus
Attachments
LHS butt
LHS butt
RHS action
RHS action
RHS butt
RHS butt