Which 22lr??

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Which 22lr??

Post by lowndsie »

I need a decent 22lr. Im currently using a voere that is fine for plinking, but I'm after something with a bit of class and durablilty.... It's going to be a one off buy so I'm not looking for a budget rifle. Any ideas???
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Look at an Anschutz, for a factory rifle they are one of the best.

Maybe check out a sako, their not to bad.

cheers,
Shane
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

How about the cz range??? how do they compare with anschutz??
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Mate I dont know how they can compare but my american shoots one hole groups at 50m with PMC zappers (when im shooting right) and is great for the field. I chose the CZ over Anschutz when I bought mine!
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G"day
I shoot my CZ varmint .22lr in benchrest and it is good but not good enough, it would average .500 groups @ 50 mtrs over the last 12 months, sure it pulls the occasional small group but that cannot be called what it shoots.
If your after a gun that will get you a bronze medal and possibly a silver in BR30 and bash the absolute eyeballs out of a bunny then you cant go past the CZ range.
If you want to get really competitive on the rimfire range then spend the extra dollars and find a model 54 anshutz, then of course you have to put some glass on it.( more oil).
As for the sako vrs CZ thing I am yet to see any group size advantage of one over the other.(obviously finish and trigger are not in the same league.)
Regards
Damien Webb.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

G,day Lowndsie, I'll put my 2cents worth in. I reckon a CZ is the go, I've got three of them. .22lr standard, .17hmr varmit, .223 American. I can't fault anyone of them. Accurate, rugged, very reliable, put thousands of rounds threw them, never been looked at for repairs ever. Same as Kjd, the .22 will shoot one hole groups with Zappers all day long @ 50 yards.
That said and done, I've been using the model 2, for 20 odd years and have just ordered an Anschutz MPR64 from Shane, mostly for target work, mind you they are double the price of the CZ. :wink:
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

What about the sako quad? Just a thought :)
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

dave wrote:What about the sako quad? Just a thought :)
Thats one ugly rear locker that!
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Thats one ugly rear locker that!
:lol:

Cant please everyone can i :)
Well i would go a Anschutz 1416DHB in that case!
Davyd

Post by Davyd »

At Springvale Melbourne range - the weekly practical rifle group. Proabably 55% CZ, 30% sako 15% Anshutsz. For the 15 metre offand shooting there is no clearly better rifle as shoter error is the dominant feature.

For the Sako Quad (synthetic)- I agree despite its reputation for shooting the current synthetic stock isn't a beauty - and I like synthetic - my most expensive gun is a synthetic stock

The wood version (Hunter) should be in the shops now.

By the end of the year the sako quad should be out in wood set trigger and threaded barrels. Becomes a much more attractive option.

So my .02

- CZ - can't beat the value for money and they shoot well.
- Anshutz (a good one) but a lot more money - but if you really want to squeeze those farctions of an inch out at 50m they are a very credibel start
- Sako Quad possibly - partiuclarly if you want to wait and get wood and set trigger with the capability of swapping calibres off one good action and one good scope. This is what I am hanging out for.
Tom81

Post by Tom81 »

You cant go past a early Brno, Tried and proven again and again, and never die. Or if you want to splash out a Sako P94s Finnfire.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I'll give a vote for CZ (stupid traded his as new, bought second hand varmint on a wssm (gratuitous Homer quote coming) D'oh.

I have a CZ 223 its exceptional in my opinion.

Funnily I was in Grinters last week and he tells me the standard weight CZ outshoots the varmint in 17 hmr. S'pose thats irrelevant as you want a 22!
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Possible 22LR solution

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day All,
I was in the market for a 22 varminter and I looked at the CZ varminter, the Anschutz 1416Hb and the Anschutz mod 64 MPR(Multi Purpose Repeater). I ended up buying the 64MPR. It is a blend of Small Bore rifle and the 1416HB, comes with a match trigger, heavy barrel, and my factory test target measures less than .5" for 10 shots. So it is suitable for range and field work.

You can get a 5 or 10 shot mag as well as a single shot follower for target use. The front rail inletted into the wide beaver tail forend allows any small bore accessory to fit and Harris makes an adapter to slide in so you can fit their bipod range. The rifle also allows the fitment of small bore target sights for those inclined to do so.

Whemn my permit finally arrives i'll let you know how it shoots.....
Cheerio Ned
morerams
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by morerams »

Almost all of the top rimfire shooters in the world use an Anschutz, they can't all be wrong, those with the match 54 action are superior in viritually every way to a Brno/CZ.
Brno's are a great reliable hunting rifle, that have been often converted to target rifles mostly because they are readily available and cheap, with a reasonable trigger and a round action easy to sleeve.
Read the latest Australian Shooter story about the 2013BR benchrest rifle, it is typical Anschutz quality.
You don't need to think about what your gunsmith can do to make it better, you just go out and shoot an Anschutz.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day all,
I from memory I think the review of the Anschutz 64MPR was in the March 06 issue of the Australian Shooter.
cheerio Ned