6mmSLR Rifle... take 2!!

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

6mmSLR Rifle... take 2!!

Post by Ackley Improved »

Well after making the last 6mmSLR a little to big and heavy I sold off the parts and started from scratch! This rifle is now just how I like it! This rifle will see varminting, Practical comp, 300m BR, 500m Fly, and maybe F Class if I decide to give it ago! I enjoy shooting the 500m Fly with this sort of rifle, shot with 25X scope and off bipods! Big challenge and after doing it a few times all I am trying to achieve is to beat my best results!!!

The rifle components are

Stiller TAC30
McMillan Baker Special
Maddco BB profile 1:8 at 24"
PT&G DBM
Badger rings
Premier 5-25 Heritage
Atlas bipod

I have only ran a ladder test through the rifle so far. The initial results are looking very promising! 105 Berger Hunting VLDs, Remington 243 brass, federal match primer, 2217 powder. The ladder test is 47-49 grains in 0.2 increments shot at 325m. Shot over chrony until I accidently pulled a plug out so only got the first 5 shots, but 47.8 got me to 3003fps. At 49grains no pressure but absolutey full case of powder and I am guessing a shade over 3100fps. Going out again tomorrow with a load of 48.1 grains to chrony and test out! Dont try these loads in your rifle. This is a custom rifle and a modified 243 case!!!

Cheers
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Re: 6mmSLR Rifle... take 2!!

Post by Buffy »

That's a sexy looking rifle AI! That stock looks awesome!

What is a 6mm SLR? (excuse my ignorance) shortened .243??

Cheers BB. :hunting:
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Buff Buster wrote:That's a sexy looking rifle AI! That stock looks awesome!

What is a 6mm SLR? (excuse my ignorance) shortened .243??

Mate

You take a 243 case and turn the 23 degree shoulder into a 30 degree. That is all. You end up with about 1 grain less capacity but a case with a long neck. It is actually a pretty neat round. If I could have gotten reliable feeding from a mag for a 6mmDasher it would have been a Dasher, but this thing feeds perfect plus has the performance out of a shorter barrel.

The stock is fantastic. I have had all types of "tactical" stocks as they make great field rifles for longer shots, but I do not like the butt hooks and the vertical pistol grips. A more traditional grip suit me better! Pity I had to go through about 5 stocks before I realised this!!

Cheers
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

So what benefits does the 30 degree shoulder give you? More inherently accurate?

I did notice the stock isn't the standard AI tacticool with bling all over it :lol: the conservative yet slick look is a perfect match for the rest of the rifle I think.

I definitely would like to be shooting it offhand with the truck axle you call a barrel :P

Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

There are a couple of cases that come to mind around the place that have two things in common. They would be
6BR, 6.5x47L and 6PPC. Now the things they have in common are: Long necks and 30 degree shoulders. I think there is definintely something about these traits in a case- I dont know what it is exactly but they just work. So building them into a wildcat isnt a silly idea. I like the idea of running longer necks in cases that may wear barrels out quicker too.

Nice rifle AI- looks like you have a few shots there that show some of your loads work well.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Brad Y wrote:There are a couple of cases that come to mind around the place that have two things in common. They would be
6BR, 6.5x47L and 6PPC. Now the things they have in common are: Long necks and 30 degree shoulders. I think there is definintely something about these traits in a case- I dont know what it is exactly but they just work. So building them into a wildcat isnt a silly idea. I like the idea of running longer necks in cases that may wear barrels out quicker too.

Nice rifle AI- looks like you have a few shots there that show some of your loads work well.
Mate

All the shots show the load is working!

You better add creedmoor and XC to your 30 degree list!

Cheers
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

I think those 3 cases are much more well known and have more going for them in their own little niches than the creedmoor or XC but thats personal opinion only. Im doing something similar to your chambering when the reamer arrives. In it being a 260 case improved with 30 degree shoulder and still headspaced on standard 308 gauges. It has a slightly longer neck than normal 260 but still has a bit more case capacity. Should be perfect for the 140 hybrids. Im also going to play with necking down lapua palma cases, turning them slightly and seeing how they go.

I reckon bakers special feels okay, but needs more palm swell to be really comfy. And less of a point at the bottom of the grip where your little finger gets wrapped around. But they work nice with AI mags in that deeper section below the action and I dont have to worry too much if it gets bumped and scratched in the field.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Brad Y wrote:I think those 3 cases are much more well known and have more going for them in their own little niches than the creedmoor or XC but thats personal opinion only. Im doing something similar to your chambering when the reamer arrives. In it being a 260 case improved with 30 degree shoulder and still headspaced on standard 308 gauges. It has a slightly longer neck than normal 260 but still has a bit more case capacity. Should be perfect for the 140 hybrids. Im also going to play with necking down lapua palma cases, turning them slightly and seeing how they go.

I reckon bakers special feels okay, but needs more palm swell to be really comfy. And less of a point at the bottom of the grip where your little finger gets wrapped around. But they work nice with AI mags in that deeper section below the action and I dont have to worry too much if it gets bumped and scratched in the field.
Are you a shooting prodigy?? Tell David Tub the XC has not got as much going for it or the Hornady team that shoots factory Creedmoor ammo.

You own a Baker Special then??
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Looks good AI!

I like the stock mate. No really I do!

It sounds like you have found one gun to do everything :lol:

Well done AI!

Glenn
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

That makes for a nice rifle AI .......
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

Out of curiosity who do you get your stillers off AI ,might have a look at getting one ...Cheers
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Very Nice AI, as usual, will this stay in the safe a little longer :lol: Once again a beautiful custom!

Two very nice rifles. Oh by the way I should be shooting some 6.5x55AI rounds this month all going well :lol:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Ackley Improved wrote:
Brad Y wrote:I think those 3 cases are much more well known and have more going for them in their own little niches than the creedmoor or XC but thats personal opinion only. Im doing something similar to your chambering when the reamer arrives. In it being a 260 case improved with 30 degree shoulder and still headspaced on standard 308 gauges. It has a slightly longer neck than normal 260 but still has a bit more case capacity. Should be perfect for the 140 hybrids. Im also going to play with necking down lapua palma cases, turning them slightly and seeing how they go.

Are you a shooting prodigy?? Tell David Tub the XC has not got as much going for it or the Hornady team that shoots factory Creedmoor ammo.

You own a Baker Special then??
Like I said PERSONAL OPINION ONLY. Not denying it isnt a good round and that Tubb hasnt developed something that works for him and no doubt others, but Im an F class shooter and dont see or hear much of the creedmoor or 6XC. Where as the 6.5x47L and 6BR are common in F class- and the 6PPC is well known enough in benchrest. Will be shooting a 6.5x47L at this months WA Queens shoot while my 260 is being built.

Yes I own a baker special. It gets used when my LH rem action is out of the target stock and I usually take the 308 F class barrel out and screw in 223 or 308 varmint barrels to use. Its set up to run AI mags like yours. We also do a 600m rapid fire shoot each year as part of the local service rifle shoot. I use it in that as they dont allow target rifles with benchrest/fclass stocks and front rests for it- bipods only. The only difference between your stock and mine is yours is in better condition and has the metal on the butt and is green, where mine is black, has a very basic butt with extendable LOP and cheek piece, is inletted for LH action and has alot of scratches and chips in it. Also tried using it on a F/TR setup for a few months but to me it didnt suit shooting free recoil so put it away until I had varmint barrels chambered for it.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

I am getting dragged down to another level! :roll:

Im off to blood the SLR...
284win
Favourite Cartridge: .284

Post by 284win »

AI,
How many powders types have you used in your ladder testing??

cheers