what rimfire or rimfires to buy .

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

what rimfire or rimfires to buy .

Post by deadkelly »

i'm starting with a clean slate & want a few practical rifles for my safe . i have already bought a marlin xl7 270 that i'm very happy with . i still want a rifle that i can take to the range & shoot all day that won't cost a arm & a leg to feed or burn out the barrel . i was thinking about thr rossi puma m92 in 454 casull . i have a lee progresive press & trail boss powder so i can pump out the plinking rounds quite fast . if it were a range only gun i'd get one in 357 mag , but if i get a 454 i can still use it as a potent short range medium - big game rifle .
next is a rimfire . do i get a good spendy 22lr that has a brand name that is a little bit to good for the misus & her kids to thrash at the range . or do i make the 22lr a fun gun that is like a hire car . or should i have a 22 mag as a walk about gun that will tackle most things out to 120 yards or so . or do i make that a 22 hornet ???? i need a dedicated varmint rifle also now that starts with 22 hornet & goes upto 243 or there abouts . there's something about the hornet that i love & i almost have to have one . but a 223 or 20 cal is more practical but i seem to shoot on small property's where the 222 or larger is far to loud . although they can be down loaded . this is what i came up with so far .
22lr marlin , savage or cz bolt or henry or marlin 39a lever .
22 mag the henry lever action as a walkabout gun or savage , marlin , cz , zastarva , or other bolt action .
22 hornet cz or zastarva or browning micro bolts . most hornets need some tweeking to shoot really well . maybe even a custom on a mini mauser action . that would cover everything from 0 - 250 meters i'd prefur a k hornet or 20 cal maybe .
204 , 223 , 22 250 , 243 varmint rifle ???????

30/30 , 7.62x39 , 44 mag , 454 as a all day range gun , bolt , lever , pump but also cover short - medium range goat , pig , deer gun - carbine .
hold it hold it
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Re: what rimfire or rimfires to buy .

Post by hold it hold it »

Cant go wrong with a cz/brno 22lr best value for money rimfire out there.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

hold it hold it wrote:Cant go wrong with a cz/brno 22lr best value for money rimfire out there.
I agree and the new model has a switch barrel set up, you could get the .22lr for the economy side of shooting and also get a .22 magnun or a 17HMR barrel for hunting. :wink:
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

You say range use. I am guess it is social or is it comps?
The perfect field/comp gun (in my mind) is the Sako Quad.
While expensive here is my justification.
If you buy a synthetic 22LR or 17HMR you will have a real nice & light hunting rifle.
Pair it with a DIP rail and QD rings like leupold QRWs or PRWs.
You can then have a sensible hunting scope 3-9 or 4-12 and have a target scope in the high range like 6.5-20 or higher.
If you find the gun too light or not competitive enough take the stock liner (remove 2 screws) and the stock is ready for a heavy barrel.
For $400 or so you can have a Sako Varmint barrel in 22LR or spend a little more ($500-600) and get a Lilja in 22LR, that would get you a very competitive rifle on a branch level without going full target rig.

But for fun you can't go past a lever action.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

cam_mackps2 wrote:

But for fun you can't go past a lever action.
Shit Yeah 8)
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Or use the same money for the sako for a CZ, decent scope, a lithgow model 12 for the kids to learn on and a heap of ammo.

That way the little buggers get to learn on open sights and to really appreciate ballitic trajectory and what it means for longer range shooting :D

Dr G
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Post by Chrispy »

Lithgow Model 12. Ordnance steel barrel, tough as construction. Solid, dependable, easy to work on. And shoots well with just about ANY rimfire ammo.

Chrispy
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

recently sighted in a TOZ for a new shooter. Shot 2 groups at 50m with all five (just) touching then adjusted the scope to get it on but couldnt get anywhere near the first groups. I thought it showed a better shooter might get something out of one of these
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Still looking seriously at the t-bolt myself.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

A quality rimfire (or two) is money neve wasted. I'd suggest a good nick older Brno plus a marlin lever.
Cheers...
Con
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by deadkelly »

thanks for the replys guy,s .
as for a range gun i ment something my misus & friends can shoot all day long & pump heaps of rounds through . but it has to be resonablely priced on ammo but also good enough as a lend gun for new shooters at ranges upto 100 - 150 yards on medium game . what i have found is there is only so much 22 lr shooting a newbie can take before there mind shifts to shooting a big booming center fire . and once they shoot a loud centerfire they don't wanta go back to the rimfire . eg now my girlfriend dosn't want a 243 anymore after shooting my 270 off the bench . well i took a old 303 smle down the range last week & the girlfriend & 2 new to shooting mates had a ball & loved it .
well i think i'm going to go with a cz 22 lr ( & if i can get one with changeable barrel to 22 mag that would be great )
a 22 250 for varmint shooting .
& a 454 or 30/30 rossi lever gun . i know the 30/30 is right on the money but i love that big hole of the 454 , + i wanta smack some goats & pigs with the 454 .
Herbs

Post by Herbs »

I have a CZ and it's brilliant, but that funky looking Savage BSEV with the Boyds stock and spiral fluted barrel certainly looks interesting. :)
ducky
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem 223rem

Post by ducky »

Herbs wrote:I have a CZ and it's brilliant, but that funky looking Savage BSEV with the Boyds stock and spiral fluted barrel certainly looks interesting. :)
brono no.2 before a 74 model is the best.....yeah the Savage is micky.. :D :D ..i got one in the shop waiting for the p.t.a in 22lr cal
Mulga
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .222 Rem

Post by Mulga »

A CZ model 2/Model 452-2E as a minimum or Anchutz and Sako are good choices.