gunsmithing??

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
hold it hold it
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

gunsmithing??

Post by hold it hold it »

hi all, i am considering getting my 223 floated and bedded by a gunsmith. none of my rifles have had anything like that done to it apart from my 17rem witch i got 2nd hand but any way im wondering what sort of price i can expect and if you guys have any tips on improving accuracy please let me know. and btw a trigger job is out of the question because i have a ruger hawkeye and i don't think the trigger is adjustable
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: gunsmithing??

Post by trevort »

expect to pay about $200 or ask for DIY instructions on here. You can buy a replacement trigger for your ruger
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

trevort wrote:......You can buy a replacement trigger for your ruger......
+1

I've had 2 Timney triggers now. One went into a mates 22.250, the other into my .223.

The one for mine was $95 inc post (from here - thanks Lowndsie) and the other was $100 + post from ebay.

If you know much about evilbay, you'll know you can set up searchs to email you. Create a search for Ruger and Timney and wait for the email. Worked for me.

So don't write off trigger work just because it has a factory trigger.

regards, curan.
hold it hold it
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by hold it hold it »

:( i was hoping to only have to pay $100 at the most looks like the ruger might be staying stock for a while
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

I remember paying $550 for a lightened trigger and a bedding job on a standard weatherby, needless to say the gunsmith won't be getting anymore business out of me!
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

dave wrote:I remember paying $550 for a lightened trigger and a bedding job on a standard weatherby, needless to say the gunsmith won't be getting anymore business out of me!
Ouch! I'd be looking for another smith too. :wink:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

hold it hold it wrote::( i was hoping to only have to pay $100 at the most looks like the ruger might be staying stock for a while
Well, the triggers I got both came with pretty good instructions on how to fit the trigger, and it wasn't that difficult to fit, so I shouldn't imagine a gunsmith would charge very much.....

then again, I don't know what a gunsmith would charge, as I didn't have a gunsmith around to fit mine :wink:
.... getting the safety to work again is a little finicky (but explained in the instructions).

Why not put a search on ebay, and if one turns up, grab it and have a look at the instructions yourself?

cheers, curan.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

curan wrote:
hold it hold it wrote::( i was hoping to only have to pay $100 at the most looks like the ruger might be staying stock for a while
Why not put a search on ebay, and if one turns up, grab it and have a look at the instructions yourself?

cheers, curan.
You can go to the Timney website and download the instructions before hand I think too.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

If the Ruger Hawkeye is just a revamped M77 mkII then you should be able to lighten the trigger.

You don't necessarily need a Timney. I had my mkII lightened by a mate for the price of a few Wild Turkeys. The process if I recall was relatively simple, very fine Oil stone or slate, metal polish and Denim on a dremel and a light replacement spring.

Great care must be taken though when working on the sear.

The trigger went from waiting for Jesus to a light clean snap.

Regards

Sean
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

get a rifle basix mk II trigger had one on an old 6br and it was a cracker of a trigger!
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Sean Ambrose wrote:.......The trigger went from waiting for Jesus to a light clean snap.........
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, I know that feeling!

Here you go Harley.

If your at all interested in a Timney, this link gives the how to with pictures and instructions.

http://www.204ruger.com/timney_trigger.php

The downside to this link is that everyone will now know I've been lurking around 204ruger.com
(I'm still faithfull to the mighty .223.........honest!) (insert stirring emoticon here).

There is also a couple of excellent DYI bedding instructions scattered through ausvarmint.

Enjoy yourself....the research can be more fun than the job :) .

Good luck, curan.

(1 edit: changed link as I got it wrong :oops: )
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by deadkelly »

$100 should fix your stocko factory trigger & about another $100 for a bedding job . just go one at a time with the trigger first & bed it when you can afford it .