advice needed

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

advice needed

Post by Buffy »

hey fellas,
well recently the boss has spoken about my spending habbits..... and apparently the need to slow down...... considerably :cry: .....

so here is the deal, i need to buy one rifle that will do the job on everything NSW game has to offer.......and it needs to do it for a period of 18 months.......

so im trying to decide on a calibre for my one gun escapades.... now, it needs to be able to take rabbits, and i would really like them to sorta kinda be in some form of shape good enough for my dogs to eat. as well as take fallow and rusa deer along with the odd pig, fox and whatever else (feral and legal of course) comes in the line of fire...

the other consideration is that it needs to be a common cartridge so its cheaper to feed factory rounds till i can scrape some cash together to get myself another reloading kit.....

i now there is not one single calibre that would do every job, but im looking for the best allrounder to keep me happy for the period stated...

as far as the rifle goes im pretty set on a tikka t3 hunter SS, lite SS or vamint SS as they are MOA shooters out of the box.....

so if you have any suggestions on calibre choice please put the up and your reasons why....

cheers BB :hunting:
r_j_t1982
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .204r

Re: advice needed

Post by r_j_t1982 »

6mm is the biggest i'd use on rabbit myself, so 243. though perhaos something in the 6.5 range might be ok...

ive only used the 22's 20cal and 308 on rabbit (i dont recommend the 308)
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Cheap .22 and a .243

Get the 6mm first and shoot a rabbit, then go and get a .22 ! :lol:

I cannot think of anything that a 243 wouldn't sort out in NSW.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

257 Roberts because I think a 6mm would struggle on Rusa.and a 22LR
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Keeping in mind the cost of factory ammo a 243 would be your best bet.

Plenty of other cals 25/06, roberts etc would be ideal but quite a bit more expensive to feed.
Rabbits that are hit anywhere other than the head with just about everything but a rimfire are fairly well minced.

12ga would be another option but limits range.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

I can do you a deal on a 25.06, dies, scales and press
James270
His Holiness
Favourite Cartridge: 270W

Post by James270 »

Get a cheap 22 and a 270 mate. When you are not killing stuff with the 270 you can sit around and bask in its awesomeness 8)

Either that or get a 243 and pick your shots on Rusa.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

250 3000 has a Tikka as you suggested 308 which you already know.Rabbits as 220 said are going to be minced but that will save you skinning and gutting them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker

Post by Buffy »

thanks for the opinions boys...... much appreciated!

yes, the 243 seems the logical choice, and i would not feel under gunned with a 243 if old man rusa stepped out and presented a good shot.. i have seen many a red stag fall very hard from a 22-250 in the right hands (not my hands by the way :lol: )

Rinso, why do you tempt me so? that is one gorgeous rifle and it looks at me with a sad face every time i see it.... :lol: :lol: ..................... pm inbound!

James270, you need to get over this 270 thing mate....... a 30-06 will do everything a 270 does, but the 30-06 will do it better...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cheers BB :hunting:
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Up front I'll make it clear....I'm not a fan of new guns, like new cars they depreciate so instantly and a well sorted 2nd hand rig represents far better value for money.

Based on what you are after a 6.5x55 in a T3 would be my suggestion.

The 243 is a reasonable bet, but......well it's a 243 and lacks power for larger deer.

The 257 Roberts is great (so too the 25/06) but factory ammo is more available in deer size for the 6.5x55. Handloading is a different story.

The 25/06 that Rinso has for sale is well worth consideration.
1. it shoots.
2. it's a good calibre.
3. for the price you get loading gear too.

Put a nice scope on it in the 2.5-8, 3-9 or straight 6x size set and you are sorted. I reckon that anything higher will be too bulky to stalk with.

Buy Rinso's 25/06 and you will be very happy with the result.

edited to add that a 4.5-14x40 might just be about perfect for a long legged 25/06.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker

Post by Buffy »

adamjp wrote:Up front I'll make it clear....I'm not a fan of new guns, like new cars they depreciate so instantly and a well sorted 2nd hand rig represents far better value for money.

Based on what you are after a 6.5x55 in a T3 would be my suggestion.

The 243 is a reasonable bet, but......well it's a 243 and lacks power for larger deer.

The 257 Roberts is great (so too the 25/06) but factory ammo is more available in deer size for the 6.5x55. Handloading is a different story.

The 25/06 that Rinso has for sale is well worth consideration.
1. it shoots.
2. it's a good calibre.
3. for the price you get loading gear too.

Put a nice scope on it in the 2.5-8, 3-9 or straight 6x size set and you are sorted. I reckon that anything higher will be too bulky to stalk with.

Buy Rinso's 25/06 and you will be very happy with the result.

edited to add that a 4.5-14x40 might just be about perfect for a long legged 25/06.

Thanks Adamjp...... however, apparently i dont need any encouragement when it comes to Rinso's 25/06 :mrgreen:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Mate hard choice one caliber/gun. Rinso's 25/06 looks like a gem but not sure if it meets your handy ammo requirement, you setup for loading?

I have used my old swedish mauser for more than 10yrs. Its been usefull on everything from crow's up to goats and pigs. I haven't shot any deer with it yet but hoping to. You can buy pills that will splatter like 95vmax or go the heavies in 140+. One thing a heavy on a rabbit might be okay where as the 95 will vapourise it. And you can by loaded ammo most places for them and they normally aint fussy.

I think though if I was going for one cal would be hard to go past the 308, sure the 110vmax will vapourise rabbits but something around the 150,160 mark that doesn't splatter will obviously knock em over but hopefully leave enough for you pal to have a munch. Heaps of off the shelf ammo and and easy cal to get shooting it seems too.

Now for the one gun theory didn't you have a stevens? You could go a 30-06 this gives you a long action so you could choose other larger case calibers 270, 6.5x55, 25/06, plus also get yourself a 223 barrel once again cheap off the shelf ammo will easily take wabbits, but ammo choice critical, 40gr noslers and vmax will splatter stuff if not carefull or just go a 308 again. You should be able to have the rifle and the extra barrel for less than the 1K mark easy,

Or like others have said get a cheap 22lr, usually can pick up a lithgow model 12, they oldies but a top bit of gear usually $150 will get you a good one sometimes with mounts.

Anyway you have a hard choice!

Ryan
foxhunter223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by foxhunter223 »

What about a Baikal/IZH rifle & shotgun combo. I believe they were in 7.62X54R/12g. Should be just what you need. Have seen other brand combo's in 12 g and 30-30 as well.
Pete
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

stinkitup wrote:Now for the one gun theory didn't you have a stevens? You could go a 30-06 this gives you a long action so you could choose other larger case calibers 270, 6.5x55, 25/06, plus also get yourself a 223 barrel once again cheap off the shelf ammo will easily take wabbits, but ammo choice critical, 40gr noslers and vmax will splatter stuff if not carefull or just go a 308 again. You should be able to have the rifle and the extra barrel for less than the 1K mark easy,
Ryan makes a terribly good suggestion here.

The Stevens actions use the Savage barrel nut solution making a barrel swap dead simple for the home handyman with the right wrench and a headspace gauge.

One rifle bought in 22/250 could be rebarreled for 7/08, 308, 338 Fed or 358 Win in less than 5 minutes. With a set of Weaver bases you could bounce a different scope on and check zero and off you go.

The Stevens 200 rifles are less than $500, spare barrels are around $200 each.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker

Post by Buffy »

Thats a great idea Ryan...... I did love my stevens 200 i had in 308..... if i was to get a rifle in 30-06 for deer and porkers what varmint/ spotlighting calibre could i get that would be an easy swap?

what is involved in swapping the barrel? would i need a gunsmith? what is headspace? sorry for the dumb question lol

Cheers BB :hunting: