marlin XL7 in 270

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

marlin XL7 in 270

Post by deadkelly »

guy's i just ordered a marlin XL7 with black syn stock & a copy of a accu trigger in 270 .
after shouldering one & cycling the action & feeling the trigger that made up my mind there & then .
it's quite light , slender & balances well & just feels right ( for me ) the price was very reasonable . after months of being stuck between 2506 or 270 i went with the good ole 270 . after all it'll do everthing a 2506 will do + more with the heavier bullets . i'll stick my new 3-9 x 50 redfield on for now & use leupold mounts .
i'm going to buy 100 rounds of factory ammo to start with i'm thinking 130gr ( i'm going on a fallow deer & pig hunt very soon ) so far remington 130gr corelokt is what my lgs has in the cheaper range , but in my 6.5 x 55 i didn't like the performance of the corelokt's . i mean they killed well & quick ( that was bullet placement ) but the exit wound was the size on my little finger nail . & that was even after punching through both shoulders ( on medium - large goats ) what other cheaper factory suff is there ???? my local will have to order it in though ( i like to surport my local :) ) i don't want to really buy flash polly tipped stuff . i think $ 150 / 100 is my limit . what do you factory shooters use in 270 :roll: if theres any factory shooters out there :P cheers dk .
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: marlin XL7 in 270

Post by doidge5781 »

I use highland in my .25/06 on pigs and are quite acceptable try the .270 loads i doubt you will find cheaper
roo shooter

Post by roo shooter »

Mate, my .270 Marlin XL7 loves the Remington 130 corelokts, the Highland 130s and the Hornady 140gn Interbonds.

To tell the truth, everything I feed it, it loves! Shoots just over an inch with all of em. You will love the rifle.
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

cool guy's .
yeah roo shooter i really like the rifle already & haven't even fired it . i noticed there's a write up in sporting shooter about the xs7 , i'm guessing that's the short action :roll: .
well i've never owned a new rifle before & i've only shot one pig also & the bloke i'm going with say's we'll get pigs & deer for sure . i can't wait ! it was australia day last year since i've hunted goats & deer or any medium game that is . i'm pumped .
i was planning on spending more & getting a new tikka t3 but oh well .
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

hell yeah shooting this weekend .
that was sooner then i expected , happy happy happy :mrgreen:
HUNTERDELUX
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17rem and 204ruger

Post by HUNTERDELUX »

I've got a XL7 in 30/06 and just love it, bought it for deer hunting and wanted a rifle that was light, cheap and shot well out of the box. For under $700 you cant go wrong, just dont expect the quality of the finish to be as good as a T3.
Firebladrider
Favourite Cartridge: 270

Post by Firebladrider »

Mine loved the Federal premium 130gn Nosler plastic tipped stuff. Powershok?? maybe

It shot under an inch with the federal, a bit over an inch with most other stuff. It was bloody dear though, $42 per box of 20
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Firebladrider wrote:Mine loved the Federal premium 130gn Nosler plastic tipped stuff. Powershok?? maybe

It shot under an inch with the federal, a bit over an inch with most other stuff. It was bloody dear though, $42 per box of 20
Gezus, were they gold plated? where did you buy?
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Deadkelly, have the same rifle and calibre, loves the Corelokts in 130gr. Hope you like the rifle
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

Glen C wrote:Deadkelly, have the same rifle and calibre, loves the Corelokts in 130gr. Hope you like the rifle
i love the lil ripper already :P . i shouldered quite a few rifles at the time & this was the one that fit & felt just right . the bolt felt much better than the ruger & the trigger is better than all the other rifles out of the box & theres still ajustment left for fine tuning . it's light to boot & comes with bases & i'll use my new 3-9x50 redfield . & after reading nick harvey's write up on the xs7 about the pillered action screws & generaly giving it the thumbs up . he said he bought one after testing it , if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me :mrgreen: . i'd like to fire some of these abrasive projectiles i've read about to help smooth out the machine marks from the get go . now i'm not in a rush to use it i'll load up a few different weight loads & see what it likes . so it'll be off to the projectile swapmeet section soon :wink:
mmm i've got plans already for it down the track mmmm rechamber it to the gibbs improved case . wow isn't it great theres so many cheap new rifles avalable from all the gun makers . i just read about the new TC venture ( guaranteed moa @ 100 yards ) for under $500 US thats impressive .
BruceHornet
Favourite Cartridge: MANY

Post by BruceHornet »

my .270 loves federal power shok
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Hey mate, I wouldn't worry too much about using abrasive bullets. According to a US article I read, it's largely a waste of time and money. Just shoot the rifle as is and save your hard earned cash.
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

lowndsie wrote:Hey mate, I wouldn't worry too much about using abrasive bullets. According to a US article I read, it's largely a waste of time and money. Just shoot the rifle as is and save your hard earned cash.
i love blowing cash :mrgreen: . ok that's what everybody's saying . well the 3-9x50 redfield fits with leupold medium rings . i still owe $150 on it . can't wait .
Firebladrider
Favourite Cartridge: 270

Post by Firebladrider »

Knackers wrote:
Firebladrider wrote:Mine loved the Federal premium 130gn Nosler plastic tipped stuff. Powershok?? maybe

Gezus, were they gold plated? where did you buy?

Nah mate, LGS is bloody expensive. This is why I started reloading.
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

it's been a while but anyway's .
i gots some old pmc 130 gr 270 ammo to site it in with & 50 m .
it shot 3/4"-1" . although i had 4 out of 50 rds that didn't fire the first time . 1 didn't fire even after 3 firings .
next i tryed norma 150 gr sp semi pointed ammo . i only fired 2 x 3 shot groups . 1st was 1" the 2nd was 21mm @ 100 m .
well i need to get back to the range with this outfit to site it in properly & fire some 5 shot groups @ 100m . but just over 3/4" @ 100 m straight out of the box for a 3 shot group that's impressive for a 270 hunting rifle under $700 . i also bought 200 rounds of that norma 150gr ammo :) . this seems to be to good of a rifle to just bang away at the range with :? .
does anybody know the PBR for the 270 150 gr @ 860 ms mv ? i'm a fps guy my self .