A couple UK varmint rifles..

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
varmartin
Favourite Cartridge: 6MMBR Norma

A couple UK varmint rifles..

Post by varmartin »

I thought you guys may be interested in a couple of my varmint rifles...

Factory or Custom Rifle: Factory

Brand of Action/Stock/Barrel: Sako TRG 22

Gun smithing work done and by who: Sako

Cal: .308win

Barrel length: 26 inch

Scope used: Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 NP2-DD

Comments on why you chose this particular Cartridge:
I started out with a 7.62 Musgrave target single shot and fell in love with this round and realised it just works very well..so when the chance to purchase a TRG came up i snapped the guys hand off...

Comments on why you chose this particular Brand combo:
Its about as good as Factory .308`s get...

Performance on paper (accuracy): One hole groups on a good day...1/2 inch at 100 yards every other day...

Performance in the field:..First round /cold bore hits out to 550 yards regularly and on a good day my longest clean kill is 843 yards on a rabbit...

Reloading info for this particular rifle IE: Brass, Powder, Projectiles load info etc.
Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primers , Varget 44 or 46 grains inder a 155 Amax / 155 scenar.

Further Comments: The stock has had 1/2 lbs of lead added to further increase stability and help with recoil...although it is pretty tame with a brake or the North Star mod fitted . It also has a hand made straight blade fitted to the trigger..

Krieger tubed Custom Rem 700 built by RG Rifles in Scotland, chambered in 6BR Norma, Dave Kiff bolt, Jewell trigger, Farrell base and rings...

Factory or Custom Rifle: Custom

Brand of Action/Stock/Barrel: Rem 700 VLS .308 bolt face fitted with a Dave Kiff bolt, Titanium firing pin and Tubb Speed lock spring, B&C Tactical Stock, Kreiger 1-8 twist tube and a Webb muzzle Brake

Gun smithing work done and by who: RG Rifles in Scotland ( Russel Gall )

Cal: 6 MM BR Norma throated for 105 Amax

Barrel length: 26 inch

Scope used: Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 NP2-DD

Comments on why you chose this particular Cartridge: For its inherent accuracy and performance with 65 -105 grain bullets..

Comments on why you chose this particular Brand combo: I purchaced a new 700 VLS in .243 win 7 years ago...and started to modify it because i was unhappy with the results on paper ...

Performance on paper (accuracy): again onehole groups on a good day ..with bench rest bullets and 1/4 MOA with 95/105 Berger VLDs

Performance in the field:..Cold bore first round hits regularly out to 400 yards..longest kill to date 642 yards on a rabbit..545 yards on a fox..

Reloading info for this particular rifle IE: Brass, Powder, Projectiles load info etc.
Lapua brass, CCI BR4 primers, Reloader 15 or Varget/ VV N140 depends on bullet . It absolutely loves 95 Berger VLD`s and it makes mincemeat out of varmints with a 75 Vmax at over 3250 fps...

fenring

Re: A couple UK varmint rifles..

Post by fenring »

Those are sweet rigs mate.
Tempo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Post by Tempo »

Very nice :D
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Awesome stuff, I love them both.

Dave
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

TRG's just kick arse don't they :mrgreen: great photo of that one mate.
varmartin

Post by varmartin »

Thanks for the replies guys..
aam
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22 Hornet

Post by aam »

Very nice rifles mate.
gigitt
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by gigitt »

I luv the TRG.

So please tell me how a 308 gives you a clean kill at 800+yards? I though it would just be mush.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

gigitt wrote:I luv the TRG.

So please tell me how a 308 gives you a clean kill at 800+yards? I though it would just be mush.
a 30 calibre hole through anything is a clean kill :wink:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

With the amax, I wouldnt say clean. But the lapua scenars would probably punch right through. Either way the shock on bunnies would tear em apart. Nice rifles, I actually like the 6BR better, the sako TRG rifles dont do it for me. How have you managed to shoot longer targets with the 308 and not the 6BR?
varmartin

Post by varmartin »

Brad Y wrote:With the amax, I wouldnt say clean. But the lapua scenars would probably punch right through. Either way the shock on bunnies would tear em apart. Nice rifles, I actually like the 6BR better, the sako TRG rifles dont do it for me. How have you managed to shoot longer targets with the 308 and not the 6BR?
It just so happened that it was the TRG I was shooting on that day, probably cos I havent had it long ..only a few months...prior to that my longest kill was with the 6BR @642 yards...

I have a box of 105 Amax and 105 Berger VLD`s to load next for my 6BR...so maybe I can ace the TRG.... :D

I understand what your saying...with the Ballistics advantage of the 6mm high BC bullets ..any one would think it would be the round of choice..
There is something about shooting small targets with a big bullet that is quite appealing... :twisted:
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

i'd say that the 308 would still have a greater effective range over a 6mmbr.... but i could be wrong, i'm not looking at ballistic info.
varmartin

Post by varmartin »

The 6 BR pushing a 105 Berger VLD at 3000fps wipes the floor with the 308 pushing a 155 amax at 2850fps...hard to believe untill you punch the numbers into Exbal....that little BR case is so efficient it does it all with 31 grains of Varget compared to 46 in the 308....thats frugal...

Upto 300 yards the 308 has more energy..after that the 6BR retains more velocity , energy and needs less windage right out to 1K..

martin