Howa Mini

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Howa Mini

Post by Tony Z »

Just putting up the test results from today.
Norma cases
CCI400
53 V Max
AR 2208
All 3 shot groups @ 100 yards with not too bad mirage and our Mango winds really blowing hard like for the last couple of weeks. Leup set at max of 7x.

25 and 25.5 grains not pictured but were 0.968" and 0.839" Rifle cleaned then the last three loads fired after one fouler at 25 grains. The powder charge is going to be somewhere between 26 and 26.5. Seating depth was what looked good but was well short of the OAL of the magazine. That will have to wait for another session.
Attachments
20151010_205837.jpg
20151010_205837.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Showing some promise there Tony :wink:
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

B4408 wrote:Has anyone tried a Fireball size case in them yet? Will they feed and extract?

Bruce

https://youtu.be/cNfpai_Nqrk

Bruce sent me a few cases, including an empty. This is the empty being ejected from the breech. You can clearly see the extractor on the upper outside of the bolt as the bolt comes back.

The magazine box is a staggered box, but centre feed so it will feed Fireball cases without an issue straight into the chamber.
GregT
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by GregT »

I was thinking about those this arvo Adam and wondering if they'd move forward in the mag with a little recoil? The certainly eject, no shortage of spring pressure behind that one!
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Awesome Adam, she certainly flings em like all my cases out of my Howas, looking like the Howa Mini Action will make a good action for the furball enthusiasts. :D
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Got to the range with the mini on Sunday and tried a known accurate load from other 223s using the 50 BTs, Norma cases, Rem 7 1/2s and 27 grains H4895.

The group is 1.628" shot at 200 metres on 7 power in some pretty strong wind conditions holding on the right edge of the box and firing on the drop off. While not a screamer group, and clearly not what the rifle was sighted in with, they are clean hits on crow and rabbit in a no wind flag field condition.
Overall a veryy good functioning rifle with absolutely flawless feeding and extraction I never had with the Sako 75. The stock is not everyones cup of tea but functions very well with a bipod, fits me very well and in three sessions now has kept POI. The barrel is copper free from the first to last shot fired. I have no doubt I could wring out some very small groups with developement and more magnification, but I never bought it for that. That is what the 22BR is for. I will be getting and already have my name down for the 7.62x39 version due early next year. The Grendall will no doubt appeal to some, but not this little black duck.
Attachments
20151020_194327.jpg
20151020_194327.jpg (109.53 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

adamjp wrote:
B4408 wrote:Has anyone tried a Fireball size case in them yet? Will they feed and extract?

Bruce

https://youtu.be/cNfpai_Nqrk

Bruce sent me a few cases, including an empty. This is the empty being ejected from the breech. You can clearly see the extractor on the upper outside of the bolt as the bolt comes back.

The magazine box is a staggered box, but centre feed so it will feed Fireball cases without an issue straight into the chamber.
Glad I could assist, video says a thousand words.
So what are you doing with that barreled action? Modified stock?

Bruce
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

Hey Bruce that barrelled action will be going into a special stock shortly, I wont steal Gregs thunders as he s still refining the prototype stock and forend options.

Ive been given a pre release sneak peak and I gotta say Im more than a little excited !

The boyds will be kept at this stage for walkabout hunting and hopefully when the Grendel is released it will house it.
GregT

Post by GregT »

Getting close..

GregT

Post by GregT »

bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Looking pretty smick there Greg, very nice job mate. :wink:
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Stevil, will be worth the wait loooking at GregTs pics. Sure is some skilled people on this forum.

Bruce
GregT

Post by GregT »

The weight has come out within 50g or so of the Boyds thumbhole in Adam's video but it'll lose a bit with the proper front tube which will have some slots and stuff.

I still have to do some work on the conventional forend, it'll be 50mm wide and hollowed out so probably not a lot heavier.

Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

Hey Greg well done on getting the weight down, the thumbhole stock aint heavy !!
GregT

Post by GregT »

I got the conventional forend done last night and some FDE cerakote on the lot this morning. After fitting it up I can't see any real benefit to the tube forend. This is pretty much the final prototype, there's a notch missing along the top "showline" which was for the orifinal tube setup and won't be there in the final version. It's light compared to any other chassis stock I've seen or had and feels great on the shoulder.

The forend is 49mm wide by 32 high with an 8mm chamfer top and bottom. It feels great in the hand and only ended up 30g heavier than the tube front.